1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

884 for a dble cab/ install

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by elwood, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Apr 3, 2011 at 11:27 AM
    elwood

elwood [OP] "Really, how hard can it be?" Jeremy Clarkson

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    ont, canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 4x4 LB
    K/N cold air intake, leer cap, running boards, nose gaurd,E brake control, mud flap cut, suspension tsb, Rear diff breather mod,Factory Fog lights, Factory front diff cover
    This is the follow up thread for those interested in the one i started about putting an ome 884 or 885 into a double cab. I know that many members have installed various ome products and the results seem to vary from time to time. These are my results. Everybody needs to do their own research and decide for themselves what best suits them for their purposes. I used the results from others and advice from people before making my decision. I post this in hopes it helps somebody as others have helped me.
    link to the first thread http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/140680-884-885-2nd-gen-double-cab.html
    I wanted to lift around 2 inches and keep some rake for when we tow. I plan on keeping stock tire diameter so my ratio while towing is not affected. I wanted to avoid uca changes , alignment problems and drive line issues if at all possible. I had the tsb completed last jan 2010 with around 58000 km (36000 miles) . Now the truck has 77000 km (47846 miles). We tow approximately 5-7000km (3-4500 miles ) per year. We have a leer 100r cap. The stock Dunlop tires are 245 75 16 and are still on. I will not be changing the tires for a couple of weeks so that a new tire feel or balancing issues wouldn’t be miss interpreted as something from the lift products. An alignment will be completed in a couple of weeks just after the new tires are installed.
    Products purchased—OME 884 coils, 9000 sport/ n-182 shocks, tsb aal (deaver), 5 mm spacer, and cb drop ( to be installed if required) , new u bolts and hardware. Thanks Toytec. I had obtained a stock set of struts from a 2010 with 5000 km (3000 miles) so the top mounts could be used for the new coils (saved money here). I will keep my original struts unmolested . I have obtained a used all pro skid (good price) for the “just in case”.
    I had the two new struts preassembled before starting. Installation went surprisingly well. I am not a mechanic but think of myself as pretty hands on and have been intimate more than a few times with various vehicles over the years. I had printed out the sticky’s so i had the proper torque’s for the various bolts and pictures. The front two struts where changed in about 3-4 hrs by myself. The rear took 4-5 hours the next day, again by myself. I had to remove the sway bar completely on the front to help me and i found that 2 C clamps compressing the rear pack back together with the aal inside helped keep the hole lined up better. I noticed that the aal leafs where not exactly the same. One had a ¼ inch more arch than the other. I put that one on the drivers side because of the gas tank. Really have to watch the rubber break lines to the axle. I had removed the bracket but the new center pin was so long that when the axle was lowered to re-insert the pin from underneath i noticed the lines looking tight. I gently moved the bracket away from the axle and then it went in. Could have cut the pin shorter first but didn’t want the threads to be mangled or flattened to allow proper tightening. The bottom of the ome rear shock had trouble entering the stock mount. Either the original had been over tightened or the bushing of the new one is a little longer?? Not sure but both had to be widened before the new shock would fit in, with encouragement . After the front was done and before any work was started on the rear i drove a few miles to see what it felt like. This way anything different could be identified as resulting from the fronts work and not the back. All was fine.
    I have drove the truck a few times now and have not felt anything odd. The cb drop has not been installed yet. The skid plate is installed now ( apprx 40 – 50 lbs) and i have a very large piece of concrete in the rear (that i use for winter weight) to help settle everything in before the alignment and new tires in 2 weeks.
    The ride is really not much firmer or harder than the stock but it does feel more “controlled”. I never actually disliked the stock ride but found it lacking in control. When driving over some larger pot holes or a set of not to friendly railway tracks it seemed to over react and seemed wild, like it was too much to handle and you should have slowed down more. The new set up handles these and seem to say is that all you can throw at me. Seems more grown up. The way it should have been from the factory IMO.
    Pics of the parts and some installation are in my gallery. These two are the before and after. The after has the weight in the rear and the skid underneath. Will post measurements after the alignment.
    Cheers.
    :)

stock with winter tires on.jpg
    after lift (2).jpg

2. Apr 3, 2011 at 11:41 AM
    NC15TRD

NC15TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    PA
    Vehicle:
    16 Sierra SLT All Terrain
    Readylift, Truxedo, Husky Liners, Carven
    Great write up! Gonna get mine soon, also what are the measurment differences?

3. Apr 3, 2011 at 11:54 AM
    elwood

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    ont, canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 4x4 LB
    K/N cold air intake, leer cap, running boards, nose gaurd,E brake control, mud flap cut, suspension tsb, Rear diff breather mod,Factory Fog lights, Factory front diff cover
    Just quick is about 2 inches front and 2 1/4 rear. I am hoping the rear comes down. We have a trip planned in a few weeks with the trailer so that should help settle them. I think after the alignment the front should be about the same. Doesn't really feel that bad driving it now, no wandering and such.

4. Apr 3, 2011 at 12:15 PM
    elwood

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    ont, canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 4x4 LB
    Just want to post some acknowledgements for the help i recieved from various members. Chris4x4 is worth his weight in gold for the data, NFL for going this way first, Squad314 for the pic of his truck as the basis for what i was going for, taco4x4nc and fabulous for being as accurate as possible. Their experiences and insight helped me make my decisions.
    :yay::bananadance::woot::taco::bowdown:
    Cheers to all you guys.

5. Apr 3, 2011 at 12:28 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Your truck looks great elwood

6. Apr 3, 2011 at 1:20 PM
    JC47

JC47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport DCLB 4X4
    OME 885, 5100's, 1.5 AAL, DC2's, 265/75/16 Duratracs. Leer Cap, Debadged.
    Good job, looks great. So the new tires will be the same size? I'm curious to know how much the rear end will settle.

7. Apr 4, 2011 at 4:31 AM
    elwood

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    ont, canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 4x4 LB
    The new tires will be the same diameter but i might go up in width. A 265/70/16 is the same diameter as a 245/75/16 ,just wider. Any increase in width will affect mileage , to some degree,depending on the rolling resistance to the rubber. My task now is to find which to get and what size.
    I have several hundred pounds in the rear now to help it settle before alignment.
    :)

8. Apr 4, 2011 at 4:32 AM
    elwood

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    ont, canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 4x4 LB
    Thanks Oz :)

9. Apr 4, 2011 at 6:14 AM
    NLF

NLF Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Levi
    Minneapolis, MN
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport DC LB 4x4
    OME 884 & Bilstein 5100s @ 0, TSB Rear w/5100s, 20x8 Mamba M2 275/55/20 Geolander, Access Cover
    Looks good, glad the install went smoothly. You're making me consider a topper...

10. Apr 4, 2011 at 3:23 PM
    raycie

raycie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB / 2016 4R Trail
    In need of $$$
    You gained only 2" with the 884s?

11. Apr 4, 2011 at 3:51 PM
    elwood

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    ont, canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 4x4 LB
    yup, thats what i was going for.

12. May 3, 2011 at 4:48 PM
    elwood

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    ont, canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 4x4 LB
    It has been a couple of weeks now and I have had the alignment completed (twice) and the new tires installed. We have just returned from a week and half fishing trip while towing the trailer ,without using the weight distribution system. I was hoping the real world activities would help me give the most accurate results to the forum.
    My first alignment was completed at the dealership. They had managed to get one side pretty close but the other not. Toe was 0 both sides, camber was 1.1 and .7 and caster was 1.4 and 1.6. All within the allowed ranges and all they would do. This was fine as all i wanted them to give me was a toyota sheet saying it meet their specs and thus I would have ammo in case of a warranty issue. The next alignment , at a real truck shop, was 0 toe again, .2 and .1 camber and 1.4 caster. That was all the guy could get unless i wanted to give up some camber. Had hoped for a little more but thats all she had.
    The new tires are 265/70/16 michelin ltx at2's. Very impressed with them on ride and quietness.
    Like I said we have towed now for 1000km and used the truck for around 3 weeks and put 2000 km on it. Have checked all torques and only 1 of the 8 u bolts took a 1/8 of a turn more before "click" at 75 lbs.

Ride height is front 22 and 1/4 and rear 24 and 1/8 hub to fender.

Have not installed the cb drop. I have had the very subtle 5 mph vibe or shimmy since new and it has not changed with the lift.

Over all impressions is an improvement in capabilities for load, on the hitch and in the back for cargo ,and smoothness on the highway which i attribute mostly to the tires. Better than stock anyways.

I had concerns with the front feeling loose on the highway with the trailer on and little caster. It was "ok" for this trip as the wind was quite calm on the days pulling. Drove normal with one hand on the wheel without the weight distribution hitch. I have NOT dismissed the possible swap of the UCA tho. Being in canada and the salt Chris has suggested the LR as it has a sealed ball joint. I will be looking into this and what it will and won't do for me and cost before our fall trips. I could be a fussy middle aged guy but for a few hundred bucks to have everything spot on is not out of the question.
    Hope this helps somebody and will keep my updates and results coming, even if they are slow.
    Cheers:)

13. May 3, 2011 at 5:14 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I got the LR UCA's , you can't go wrong , especially here .

:canada:

14. May 3, 2011 at 5:21 PM
    elwood

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    ont, canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 4x4 LB
    Thanks Oz. i am leaning that way now but with our son home from college and starting work priorities have shifted to a new bed new back door on the house.
    Did you get yours from fat bob or ??? Noticed fabian did and the price is cheaper than the web site says???

15. May 3, 2011 at 5:26 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I got mine from Toytec , but I will admit to not shopping around too long , there very well could be a cheaper alternative .

16. May 9, 2011 at 7:12 AM
    DestinTaco

DestinTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver PreRunner Off Road DC SB
    Challenger tube step, OME 884 Coil, 2" AAL, Weathertech vent visors
    I got 2" with my 884's as well.

17. May 9, 2011 at 4:44 PM
    elwood

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    ont, canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 4x4 LB
    :cheers: how do you like the results?

[​IMG]

I have 400 lbs of concrete in the back of the truck to simulate all the gear for a trip and the trailer has a tongue weight of 380 to 400 lbs.

18. May 11, 2011 at 7:39 AM
    DestinTaco

DestinTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver PreRunner Off Road DC SB
    Challenger tube step, OME 884 Coil, 2" AAL, Weathertech vent visors
    I'm happy with it.

19. Jun 30, 2012 at 10:02 AM
    greenrustic

greenrustic Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4 TRD SPORT
    Access LTD Tonneau Cover, Weather Tech Digital Fit Mats, Weather Tech Rain Guards, 35% Tint up Front, AFE Dry Power Intake Filter, Debadged, GrilleCraft, OME 884x, OME 9000 NitroChargers, Icon 3 Leaf Progressive AAL
    Sweet looking rig! Thanks for putting this together. I have been looking at a similar set up but am thinking about using 5100's instead of the ome shocks because I can put it all together for a little less $$$ and I hear they will offer a little firmer ride. I do have a few questions for you. Have you had any settling of the front coils or are they holding firm at 2"? Did you use a top plate spacer or trim pack to compensate for the drivers side lean? Have you been happy with the aal and the tab pack or have you made any changes there? Did you ever get the alignment in spec? Thanks!

20. Aug 31, 2012 at 9:21 PM
    froesen

froesen Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Chilliwack
    Vehicle:
    08 Dbl Cab SR5 4x4
    fog lights, OME Suspension (2inch lift all around)
    wow, elwood, great looking rig, great write up, I'm doing research now and budgeting for my truck and this is what I would like. Thanks for posting all this.

Products Discussed in

To Top