1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

9 Days of Fun, Sun, Rain and Jumping Off Rocks In GWNF

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Wild Crow, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Sep 22, 2017 at 2:34 PM
    Wild Crow

Wild Crow [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Anywhere is home
    Vehicle:
    2014 Baja
    Remember our scout trip to GWNF? Well, that trip made this trip awesome! Why? Because the campsite we found (but didn't get to try out then – it was occupied ) was as close to a perfect place to camp as any I've ever been.

Day 1
    IMG_0033.jpg
    We headed out on the 29th aiming for the southern section of GWNF for a week camping with friends. With the CrowsWing loaded we headed southish. Somewhere along I64 we missed a turn off, our reroute aimed us for the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's a nice drive, but there was fog on the mountain and beyond the few feet in front of the truck, the views weren't spectacular. Finding our exit we wound our way down into the forest and eventually made it to the area we would be staying for a few days.

Our friends were still hours away so we decided to drop the trailer in an easy to get to and decently OK dispersed campsite. The idea was to make our way to a couple of other sites we found and check to see if they were occupied, these were down a rougher road and it would suck to drag the trailer up the mountain only to have to turn around and drag it back down. Our plan was to meet our friends at Ogdens Grocery on route 60 after finding an open (and exceptional) campsite

We took the Wild Crow up the mountain, easier without the trailer and while it could've been done in 2WD I switched into 4WD to keep from spinning in the loose rocks. After about a good half hour drive we got to the first (and nicest) site......it was open! We quickly set up our First Up gazebo and some camp chairs to stake our claim. While we were on top of the mountain I had some cell service and managed to contact our friends, and send them the coordinates for the site. This saved us from driving all the way out to Ogden's! Turns out they weren't too awfully far away so we had to boogie down the mountain to get the trailer hitched back up so we could take our time dragging up Wiggins Spring Rd.

We got to the CrowsWing, hitched up and headed back up. Just as we crossed the Wiggins Spring/Coffeytown Rd intersection our friends appeared in their cool red first gen Tacoma and Flippac combination. We slowly crawled back up to the campsite taking our time as the trailer slows things down a little.
    20170729_132858.jpg

We got to the campsite and set up in the trees.
    IMG_2994.jpg

As we worked the clouds rolled in and the misty fog gave the site a really cool look and feel.
    20170729_153643.jpg

Day 2

The next day we went to check out a nearby waterfall, Stanton Creek Falls is next to the road, but it is well worth checking out if you like waterfalls.
    IMG_3032.jpg

We managed a nice campfire that evening and had fun playing around with the camera. Red trucks photograph well.
    IMG_3112.jpg

Day 3

Hiking. It's fun. Try it sometime. We hiked the Henry Lanum Memorial Trail. Most of the hike is pretty, and pretty typical of a hike through a woods. This hike went uphill, a lot! We slowly made our way to the 4000+ foot elevation of this gorgeous view! Well worth the effort.
    IMG_3160.jpg

IMG_3148.jpg

We actually took the loop trail back rather than follow the same path back. This gave us two more climbs to the 4000 foot mark. Great hike, but whew!

In the late afternoon we were joined by our friend Clay in his first gen Tacoma (also with Flippac ).

dorton, Casper66 and Spare Parts like this.
  2. Sep 22, 2017 at 2:53 PM
    Wild Crow

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Anywhere is home
    Vehicle:
    2014 Baja
    Day 4

Nice relaxing day! We spent a large part of the day at Panther Falls. Swimming, playing in the cold water, jumping off rocks into said water.
    IMG_3169.jpg

IMG_3172.jpg

What fun! As a word of warning though, Elizabeth broke a heel spur in her foot in that first jump. She's all heeled up now but was in pain for quite a few days when she walked.

It was mostly relaxing, in the afternoon we hiked to the top of Crabtree Falls. Up, and up, and up! Great view at the top but man! It's a hike!
    IMG_3269.jpg

IMG_1593.jpg

Day 5

Moving day! Our friends wanted to see the GWNF that everyone knows about outside of Harrisonburg. We packed up our camp and headed North. Elizabeth and I had planned to get to a campsite we knew of via the West Virginia side of Rough Run Road. With our trailer in tow and our friends close behind we wound our way up and over the twistys of rt 33 and headed up to Rough Run. We almost made it too! We wound up at a gate! A gate! Just a few years back this road took you right into GWNF. No more, not today. We dug out the Gazeeteer and weighed our options. It was quite late in the day and we were very close to Day Run CG. We headed on up and found Day Run open with only one other camper set up.

We set up camp by just parking the trailer, no awnings out on the triler, no EZ Up, no Kelty tarps – our usual method uses all these and gives us quite a lot of coverage from sunshine and or rainshine. As we finished our supper it grew quite dark, a wind kicked up and the skies opened up. It rained and we quickly set up our EZ Up! Then the skies opened up even more. It poured buckets! And buckets! Soaking wet we retreated into our trailer and waited out the storm.

Once the storm ended and everyone climbed out of their vehicles, we talked about the storm. I learned from Jay that the storm cell that went over actually lifted the tent of his flippac up and ballooned it out far enough to give him and his family a good scare.

Our fun surprise came next. I got out the birthday present my daughter got me and set up our movie theater. With our friends and us sitting in the EZ Up and me running the movie projector we were able to watch “Shaun of the Dead” (well, half of it we had some AV issues during this trial run) in the woods, in the rain!
    IMG_1642.jpg

IMG_1644.jpg

Day 6

After much discussion, we decided Day Run was quite far away from where we wanted to be. If it weren't for that pesky gate we would be so much closer to Long Run Road, and Vepco Road, which we wanted to drive on one of the days. The decision was made to backtrack to Brandywine CG on Rt 33.

Off we went, paying our admission fee for the days we'd be there, and set up camp. We were able to finish watching 'Shaun of the Dead” that evening.

IMG_0167.jpg

3. Sep 22, 2017 at 3:26 PM
    Wild Crow

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Anywhere is home
    Vehicle:
    2014 Baja
    Day 7

Our morning started heading to the shooting range off 33. Jay had a pistol he wanted to shoot, I had a new shotgun I needed to try out, and Clay had a target 22 he wanted us all to play with.
    IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

We shot guns, shot shot guns, and had fun funs. The target pistol was deadly accurate and the shotgun was just deadly. Good morning!

Then we all loaded up and headed down to Union Springs Road. Jay has wanted to drive this iconic Virginia 4x4 road for a long time, so once we got to Union Springs I moved to rear guard and let him lead us up to Meadow Knob. The drive was fun, and I used my friends as spotters on the big rock as I don't (still!) have sliders on yet. I'm quite disappointed in the tires, they just didn't want to grip the rock and the fronts kept spinning trying to slide us into that tree. Finally with some careful spotting, adding a few rocks under the rear tires, and ample application of gas and brake simultaneously we were able to bounce up and over!
    IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_1684.jpg

IMG_1688.jpg

We all wound up and around to Meadow Knob, parking the trucks for the requisite photos. I like the view here the best.
    IMG_3303.jpg

IMG_3311.jpg

Then it was on up to Flagpole. Another great view! Jay was pleased with the drive. Just the right mix of technical driving with scenery for his likes he said.
    IMG_3319.jpg

4. Sep 22, 2017 at 3:37 PM
    Wild Crow

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Anywhere is home
    Vehicle:
    2014 Baja
    Day 8

The ladies of the group decided they wanted a town day, so they took the WildCrow into Harrisonburg and shopped and dined, while I rode shotgun in the red Taco. We headed up to Long Run Road and went a ways down Dictum Ridge, not all the way down though as we had a long day ahead. Turning around we made our way back to Long Run and crossed over onto the forest road that eventually winds its way to Vepco Road and back around to the other side of Long Run. These roads aren't tough but they have incredible views, some great campsites, and if you haven't driven them you absolutely should.
    IMG_3330.jpg

IMG_3335.jpg

IMG_3343.jpg

We made it back to camp just ahead of the ladies, and Elizabeth baked a wonderful apple pie for dessert! I absolutely love having an oven in the teardrop!
    IMG_3356.jpg

Day 9.

Last day, sad day. Everyone packed up their gear and we drove out of Brandywine CG. Not far up the road we parked at the overlook and hiked up to the High Knob firetower. Great views and great fun!
    IMG_3366.jpg

IMG_3406.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

After photographing the tower and hiking back to the overlook, we had a quick lunch, said goodbye to our friends and we all went our separate ways. Such a fun and relaxing week!

Casper66, Muffdiver and Spare Parts like this.
  5. Sep 22, 2017 at 6:24 PM
    Casper66

Casper66 grumpy ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Culpeper, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4wd super white (sold) '13 access cab SR5 4wd
    piddly stuff
    I have to say rather jealous James. You know this is what we're working toward hopefully next year we'll be out the cam grounds and into the woods.

Wild Crow[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  6. Sep 22, 2017 at 6:37 PM
    Wild Crow

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Anywhere is home
    Vehicle:
    2014 Baja
    You'll get there C. This is what we love to do (along with kayaking and fossil hunting)

Casper66[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Sep 22, 2017 at 6:42 PM
    Casper66

Casper66 grumpy ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Culpeper, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4wd super white (sold) '13 access cab SR5 4wd
    piddly stuff
    We need to get together again we enjoy y'all's company and I'd like to take a look at your sliders and see just what kind of corrections need to be made so we can get them on there. I may juust have to come over and we can try them and see what needs to be done. Making the alterations sholdn't be an issue I just need to know what they need

Wild Crow[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  8. Sep 24, 2017 at 6:29 PM
    Tactical_Panda

Tactical_Panda Armchair Anarchist

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Double Cab, Off-Road Edition
    AJT Designs Shifter AJT Designs Battery Hold-Down ARB Awning 2500x2500 ARB Twin Compressor w/ Slee Offroad Mounting Bracket Avid Brush Bar Avid Step Bars Black Rock Wheels Series 997 Type 8 Circuit Breaker/Relay Panel Custom TRD Decals Bulletproof Fabricating Raptor Grill Bulletproof Fabricating Cooling Panel Bulletproof Fabricating Tow Hook Duluth Trading Company Dog Hammock Exhaust Breather Mod eBay Special 3-Gallon Air Tank Expedition Essentials TPAM EZ Down tailgate damper Flagpole Mounts, Dual Foglight Mod Front Camera Rear Camera; full time available General Grabber tires Goat Armor Hella Supertone Horns Iggy Switch Panel Icon Dynamics Stage 3 Suspension Katskin Leather Interior KickAss camp shower LED Bed Lights LED Interior Lights Midland MXT275 GMRS Two-Way Radio OEM Audio Plus Reference 500 audio upgrade Plano Cases. 42" roof mounted, X2 Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle Prinsu Cab Rack Prinsu-like Shell Rack Redline Tuning Hood Struts Rigid Industries 40" Light Bar Rigid Industries Ditch Lights Rigid Industries Spotlights Toyota Bed Step UltraGauge EM Plus v1.4 Vixen Air Horns, Four-Trumpet Whole bunch of decals worth about 5HP each Yakima Road Shower, 10-gal
    I so wish I could get my wife interested in this.

Wild Crow[OP] and Casper66 like this.
  9. Sep 30, 2017 at 4:21 PM
    Hardscrabble

Hardscrabble Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    McDonough, GA
    Vehicle:
    ‘20 Sport M/T AC 4WD & '15 TRDOR DCSB 4WD
    A little of this and a little of that.
    @Wild Crow

Great write-up and pictures!
    You have a very nice set-up with the truck and trailer.

Wild Crow[OP] likes this.
  10. Dec 6, 2017 at 11:06 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    that is a one-off custom built trailer?! it is fantastic.

11. Dec 6, 2017 at 11:48 AM
    Wild Crow

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Anywhere is home
    Vehicle:
    2014 Baja
    Thanks! Yes custom designed by my wife and built by the two of us......

12. Dec 20, 2017 at 4:14 PM
    Emeraldlc

Emeraldlc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    That sounds like a fantastic trip! I love the great outdoors. Back when I was a Boy Scout we used to camp in the wildest places but we never did anything extreme like diving off cliffs. Oh well.

To Top