1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

92 pickup transmission oil seal problem

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by 92shawman, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Dec 2, 2012 at 7:05 PM
    92shawman

92shawman [OP] Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    That's the plan! But yeah, at this point I'm thinking maybe I just take it to a mechanic because of the driveshaft bolts. I'm also considering driving it home (500 miles) before fixing this because it's lasted thus far, but that's a long drive...

Yeah that sounds kinda sketchy to me...nice disclaimer :p

2. Dec 2, 2012 at 7:09 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    If the socket and cheater bar are starting to deform the nuts, it's time to move to a 6-point socket, and an impact.

You can get an electric 1/2" drive impact from Sears for around $110.
    I spent 4 hours replacing the clutch on my bike.
    2 hours were spent fighting the nut. 1 hour was spent driving to Sears to get the impact tool.
    The next time I did the clutch, I had it done in about an hour.

3. Dec 2, 2012 at 7:14 PM
    tacobell007

tacobell007 Western Mass Automotive Coatings

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
    Yea it somewhat is. When I did it the liquid wrench didn't have a problem, but the grease from my ball joints did like to go up :rolleyes:

4. Dec 2, 2012 at 7:14 PM
    92shawman

92shawman [OP] Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    I live in a 1 bedroom apartment...Don't really have a whole lot of access to space for an air compressor and an impact wrench. I'll have that when I drive to SD in two weeks, but that'll be after 500 miles and I don't know if that's an okay thing to do.
    But otherwise I agree, I will probably need the impact. Hopefully it's better tomorrow, but who knows.
    Thanks for the input, though! I appreciate it.

5. Dec 2, 2012 at 7:31 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Same here.

I have a little 2 gallon compressor for tires and it'll run an air ratchet, but it won't run an impact.

That's why I specified the electric impact tool.

I just checked the Sears site and they have a lot of cordless now, but most seem to be set up with the 1/4" female drive to accept driver bits... not the 1/2" square drive like I have.

But they are available.
    This one is closer to $200, but this is what I'm talking about.
    http://www.homedepot.com/Milwaukee/...word=impact+driver&storeId=10051#.ULwdOGeqaN8

6. Dec 2, 2012 at 8:05 PM
    92shawman

92shawman [OP] Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    Haha, my bad. Missed the electric part... -_-
    I didn't even know that electric ones existed. I thought that they were all air powered. Definitely an option, now! :p

I don't know if an impact wrench will fit in there, though. I couldn't get a socket wrench to line up to the driveshaft side nuts well enough to be effective.

7. Dec 3, 2012 at 6:31 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    If you took it to a garage to get this done , They would be throwing heat at the nutts rite away . An oxy acetylene torch can concentrate the heat directly at the u bolt nutts . Gear oil takes a while to burn . It usually smokes before it catches fire . Yes , wipe off as much oil as possible . Whats gonna burn ? probably just the seal that you are planning to replace . A good snap on 6 point wrench will work fine to get them off or cut the U bolts off and buy new .Have done this many times

8. Dec 3, 2012 at 7:09 PM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamour Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB TRD Sport Prerunner 4x4
    Things and stuff and such
    Kevin, did you have any luck with this?

9. Dec 3, 2012 at 7:14 PM
    92shawman

92shawman [OP] Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    I just got home from campus a little bit ago, so I haven't tried. I talked to my mechanic today (who my family's been taking this truck to for probably 10 years) and he said that I should just check the t-case fluid levels and bring it back home so they can do it.
    Given that, I didn't really want to try to loosen those bolts any more because I wouldn't want to have them come off while driving on the freeway... But I'm still open to suggestions

10. Dec 3, 2012 at 7:28 PM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamour Shot

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB TRD Sport Prerunner 4x4
    Things and stuff and such
    With the angle of my driveshaft, there is not enough room for a socket at the t-case flange. I eat my wheaties and use extra long combination wrenches.

11. Dec 3, 2012 at 7:35 PM
    92shawman

92shawman [OP] Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    Well maybe I'll try it tomorrow. Too cold out to try it tonight and I still need to make dinner. Tomorrow I can do it in the middle of the day.
    We'll see what happens, thanks for the suggestions

12. Dec 3, 2012 at 7:43 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    try crc freeze off

you could try heating it first too

I'd post in the Cali forums... someone is bound to have an impact and want to help you.

I'd help if you were closer.

13. Dec 4, 2012 at 2:22 PM
    92shawman

92shawman [OP] Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    Well I just tried it again and I still can't get it. I'm just going to take it home and have my mechanic do it. I have finals coming up next week, so I won't have much time to do this anyways.
    I learned a fair amount in just setting up for this, though, so thanks for your input!

Products Discussed in

To Top