1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

949 steering wheel extension/spacer install thread (lots of pics)

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Gigan, Jul 1, 2021.

1. May 4, 2022 at 7:05 AM
    reymataco

reymataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCLB Off Road Premium in Slowsand
    I ordered the wire extension harness that was available. But I only needed it for 1 of the wires. The others could reach if you keep everything tight. Had to re-route the airbag cable under instead of over.

2. May 4, 2022 at 7:51 AM
    kuruma1

kuruma1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I got the extension so that was easy. What about the cables with the orange and black connectors? Do those go under? I thought it was just the one connection that goes to the right most connecter on the clock spring.

3. May 14, 2022 at 12:17 PM
    kuruma1

kuruma1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thank you! This worked great.

reymataco[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Oct 30, 2022 at 12:49 PM
    FromtierAJL

FromtierAJL Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green TRD OR
    This is awesome. I may have to do this. Thanks for the write up!

5. Oct 30, 2022 at 1:09 PM
    tw0leftskis

tw0leftskis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    0xApes
    Meta Verse
    Vehicle:
    Tip: do not completely remove the 19mm nut. Unthread it til its flush with the shaft. It will act as a stopper to keep you from Accidentally yanking the steering wheel completely off along with the spiral cable. Some cables are upward of $500

6. Nov 10, 2022 at 3:38 PM
    Tac_253

Tac_253 New Member

Member:
    Thanks for this great write-up, Gigan. I installed this spacer and found that the steering wheel is off to the left by about an inch or so. I re-installed the steering wheel a few times onto different splines on the top spacer post and it still isn't straight. I'm wondering if I should remove the base of the spacer and re-install that or if it might be easier to just get an alignment and have them adjust the tie-rods to make the steering wheel straight. Any advice? The airbag wire plugs are fairly brittle so I am concerned about removing them too many more times.

7. Mar 22, 2023 at 10:58 AM
    Stratoroc

Stratoroc New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TuRD OF doublecab
    The 949 steering spacer is the best $300 I spent on my Tacoma. Should have been the factory cabin layout if 'yota ever did anything right the 3rd time.

I'm 5'8, 165lb.
    Install took an hour or so, probably half that if everything were done right the first time.

Pros: This spacer places the wheel at a perfect length and elevation for my upright and active driving position. More comfortable entry/exit, comfortable steering, even makes the seats feel more comfortable due to less shoulder movement.
    Cons: those with shorter fingers will need to actively move a hand to operate turn signal and wiper switches. This is only mildly annoying while muscle memory causes fingers to reach for levers no longer there.

The two (orange & black) airbag connectors should be routed UNDERNEATH the wheel, through the bottom large opening, not through the top as shown in the OP. This allows tucking the 12 pin coupler into the spacer and lets the downward facing airbag wires rest naturally. This is needed to easily re-install the airbag module.

I used a red marker pen to draw a "continuous" line from the steering wheel to the column for alignment. The splines are spaced at a roughly 5 degree increment so a concrete sharpie is convenient for marking. Lock the wheel via the anti-theft lock to prevent is from turning after yanking the wheel.

The steering wheel will lock into the anti-theft lock while being wiggled for removal. Note the top orientation (right of center or left of center) upon locking for later aligning the spacer. You can test-set the spacer and wheel to double check spacer clocking.

Note the small black wire on the bottom of the airbag, don't forget to remove it.

Disconnecting the battery is helpful to avoid surprise horn blasts.

musicisevil, kuruma1 and reymataco like this.
  8. Jul 12, 2023 at 3:28 PM
    TacoRexy

TacoRexy Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma Trail Edition
    Thank you for this write up! I just did this mod. I'm not that tall... just over 6'. But after driving my new trail for a few weeks I became very disappointed in the comfort of it. I bought the seat jackers... they helped, but still, I was hitting my legs every time I turned the wheel. The wheel position is what's weird in these Tacoma's not the seat position. Love this mod! This solved my issues and complaints fully. Thank you for posting?

musicisevil likes this.
  9. Jul 18, 2023 at 6:26 AM
    TacoRexy

TacoRexy Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Another follow up. Like the OP and others said one down side to this extension is how far the directional and wiper stalks are from the wheel.
    I found these on Amazon and they work great! I highly recommend installing them if you have the same concern. They come with two different depth tapes and I had to use the thicker one on one side and I used a 3m body tape on the other for extra security.
    They are listed on Amazon as "AUTOHAUX 2 piece Car Turn Signal Extension."

PXL_20230718_130332389.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230718_130327312.MP.jpg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2023
    musicisevil and kuruma1 like this.
  10. Sep 21, 2023 at 8:19 AM
    musicisevil

musicisevil Lesser-Known Jack Wagon

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    Stalk controls are all that’s holding me back from installing the extension. Have these worked well for you? Once you tightened them down they haven’t moved at all?

11. Sep 21, 2023 at 9:35 AM
    TacoRexy

TacoRexy Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    They've worked great for me. They did move with the 3m double sided I put on initially they were just a little to loose with one thin pad so I ended up using the 2 thick pieces of foam they provided. The thick foam contours nicely around the stalk and it it hasn't moved. I haven't really "tested" them to see how secure they are now, but I don't really have any complaints.

If you are unhappy enough to be thinking about this upgrade and the stalks are your concern, I would recommend you do it. The benefits far out way the negatives.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
    musicisevil[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Sep 21, 2023 at 9:41 AM
    musicisevil

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    Very cool. Thanks for the input! I’m hoping I’ll still be able to pull stalk back for flashing brights with the extension moved closer to the column due to my fog switch.
    Thank you for posting this product too!
    Stalks were definitely the only thing holding me back. Just purchased both column and stalk extensions

TacoRexy[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Sep 21, 2023 at 9:46 AM
    TacoRexy

TacoRexy Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    You have the fogs on the stalk? Since those pics I did the stalk and fog mod and upgrade (I was pre-wired for it). The extenders do not interfere with the fog switch. The extension actually sits in the exact same spot on both stalks; flashing bright function works as you'd expect. No compromises with this mod other than it looks a bit primitive.

14. Sep 21, 2023 at 9:50 AM
    musicisevil

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    I do. I was concerned that I’d have to move the extension bracket back, closer to the column, to make room for the fog ring on the stalk. Looking at your pic again it seems like it’s back far enough already to accommodate that oem fog switch on the stalk.
    You don’t have any clearance issues with the bracket hitting the column when you pull the stalk towards you for momentary high beams?

15. Sep 21, 2023 at 10:03 AM
    TacoRexy

TacoRexy Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Not an issue, works perfectly.

PXL_20230921_170156202.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230921_170159227.MP.jpg

musicisevil likes this.
  16. Sep 21, 2023 at 10:05 AM
    musicisevil

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    Man, thank you so much. Extra pics are a great help!

TacoRexy[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Oct 2, 2023 at 9:21 PM
    musicisevil

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    @TacoRexy I can’t thank you enough for pointing me towards these.
    [​IMG]
    The column extension is a game changer in comfort and makes entering/exiting so much easier. I had it installed for 10 days before I got the package from Amazon.
    While I could have made it work and relearned the stalk positions and hand stretches to reach them, these silly little things make the driving so much nicer.
    One of them was a return and was missing 3 bolts, but $4 at Home Depot squared me away. Of course they didn’t have 8 so I couldn’t do both of them though…

TacoRexy likes this.
  18. Oct 3, 2023 at 6:05 AM
    TacoRexy

TacoRexy Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Nice! The HD hardware looks much cleaner. I may just swap it seeing yours.

musicisevil[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Oct 3, 2023 at 5:18 PM
    musicisevil

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    M4-0.7mm x 16mm (flat head philips) fits the nylock nuts that came with them

Products Discussed in

To Top