1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

95 stock Tacoma steering rack question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Tylerm5000, May 3, 2011.

1. May 3, 2011 at 11:53 AM
    Tylerm5000

Tylerm5000 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 2.7l reg cab 4x4 5-speed red pearl
    Alcan stock height 4-leaf springs, greaseable main eye bolts, OME greaseable shackles, all energy suspension bushings, 2-row extra deep radiator, KYB gas-a-just shocks. ALL LED exterior and interior lighting including custom tail lights and blinkers.
    Hello, I am new to this forum. I have searched until I got a headache. I replaced my steering rack a few months ago with a new one because I was trying to diagnose the famed front end clunk, and I think the new rack has a problem. Would a steering rack gear slip... say... when I turn the wheel, the toe would be either increased or decreased? The rack makes a small popping sound near the left inner tie rod, and when I turn the wheel manually, it feels like the left wheel moves more as if the steering gear rod slipped more than it was supposed to. The tie rods, both inner and outer are new. I also have all poly bushings on the rack and control arms, so there is no play there.

I am still trying to diagnose the front end noise. My truck is taken care of about as much as the VC-25As that fly the president around. I have replaced everything except the upper ball joints, wheel bearings, and cv axles. The sound is coming from the cv axle and wheel hub area. It is annoying the hell out of me; especially since I take such great care of my truck.

Any help with the rack mystery would be appreciated. :)

2. May 5, 2011 at 1:22 PM
    Tylerm5000

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Alcan stock height 4-leaf springs, greaseable main eye bolts, OME greaseable shackles, all energy suspension bushings, 2-row extra deep radiator, KYB gas-a-just shocks. ALL LED exterior and interior lighting including custom tail lights and blinkers.
    I think I figured it out.

3. May 5, 2011 at 1:27 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    what was it?

4. May 5, 2011 at 8:30 PM
    Tylerm5000

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    I think it is the spring under the cap near the driver side tie rod end. I changed the upper ball joints today. It still makes that noise, plus the other noise coming from the cv/hub area. It's embarrassing.

To Top