1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

97 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 cranks, no start

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by TheHansen, May 4, 2011.

1. May 4, 2011 at 7:00 PM
    TheHansen

TheHansen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mattapoisett, MA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Sport
    dtrl mod Fog light mod Bed lights Under hood lights Rear window decals tint matched front windows Rear dif breather mod weathertech floor mats Bed mat Scan gauge 5100's and 885's lean spacer 1.5 in aal, 1" block and OME rear shocks Dynomax muffler (weld in) Truxedo lo pro qt bed cover Devil horn Emblem Plasti dip badges plasti dip radio plasti dip ac control all pro rear bumper with side pieces All pro front bumper All pro bolt on sliders illuminated 4x4 switch JBA long tube headers URD o2 Sim
    Edit: Replaced the crank sensor and it started right up

Alright guys, Any help/ ideas on this would be great. My aunts jeep wouldn't start this morningd. First obvious issue was that the fuel pump was not turning on when key was turned to on. I did jump the relay and heard the fuel pump start up, so it is working. With the fuel pump jumped and running it still wouldn't start, so i checked spark. There was no spark, i checked with a multimeter and wasn't getting any voltage to the coil. That is as far as i am right now. I think it may be the crank position sensor because its the only thing i can think of that would connect the two. But wouldn't the fuel pump still turn on for a few seconds when the key is turned to on if the crank position sensor was bad?

Shortened version:
    -Fuel pump doesn't run when key turned on, but does run when relay is jumped. Fuel gauge reading empty (not empty tank)
    -No spark, and no power at coil
    -Went through fuses, none blown
    -Crank position sensor?

Any ideas or similar experience would be appreciated. I have to be up early tomorrow so i won't be able to reply until later in the day.
    also i have a scan gauge so i will be checking for codes soon (didnt have time to pull the wire for it out today)

2. May 5, 2011 at 11:48 AM
    TheHansen

TheHansen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mattapoisett, MA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Sport
    dtrl mod Fog light mod Bed lights Under hood lights Rear window decals tint matched front windows Rear dif breather mod weathertech floor mats Bed mat Scan gauge 5100's and 885's lean spacer 1.5 in aal, 1" block and OME rear shocks Dynomax muffler (weld in) Truxedo lo pro qt bed cover Devil horn Emblem Plasti dip badges plasti dip radio plasti dip ac control all pro rear bumper with side pieces All pro front bumper All pro bolt on sliders illuminated 4x4 switch JBA long tube headers URD o2 Sim
    Bump,

Heading over there with the scan gauge, also found out she washed the car prior to this issue.

Products Discussed in

To Top