1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'97 Tacoma w/ handling problems

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bamayota, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Mar 8, 2011 at 7:46 PM
    bamayota

bamayota [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jayson
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '97 Tacoma 4x4
    Hey everybody, new member here, sold my 1980 Hi-lux 4x4 and bought a '97 tacoma reg. cab 4x4 cause I wanted a little nicer hunting truck. The '97 is nice, but I miss the old one already, it had character. Well, when I go over a rough spot, dip, bump, or pass a semi on the interstate, the rear of the truck has a side to side motion, feels like it wants to fish-tail. Got under truck and couln't see any obviuos problems. Heard these years had problems with leaf springs breaking, they dont look broke. Dont think bad shocks would cause the side to side movement. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. Mar 8, 2011 at 8:35 PM
    NegroTundra

NegroTundra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Land of Enchantment
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma TRD 4WD 5 spd
    Probably shocks, or stiffer leafs than your used to. More info would help on your diagnosis. Lifted, stock?

3. Mar 8, 2011 at 11:07 PM
    scocar

scocar Scouting the perimeter for weakness

Member:
    First Name:
    Dick
    In close proximity to an undisclosed location
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    Back to square one after the 2001. So...
    The stock leafs are weak, and your shocks are probably worn or leaking. Shocks are cheaper and easier to do, so I would suggest swapping in some new shocks first to see how much it improves handling. After that, new leaf packs...and so it begins...check out the suspension forum stickies...

4. Mar 9, 2011 at 6:16 PM
    bamayota

bamayota [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jayson
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '97 Tacoma 4x4
    Thanks for the replies, it is all stock. I would like to leave it like that with no lift, what type of shocks do yall recommend. I see alot of bilstein 5100's on here and ome 881's ?, I take it that those are the front struts. Also thought about new leaf packs, I've read on here that "wheelers" are the way to go, are they for stock applications also. thanks for the input.

5. Mar 9, 2011 at 6:37 PM
    bamayota

bamayota [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jayson
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '97 Tacoma 4x4
    The truck has a tool box on it, even going over a dip in the road at like 50 mph, the truck's rearend feels like it kinda swerves side to side and dips lower on the right rear. Just read that I would need 5100's for front and 5125's for rear with stock suspension.

6. Mar 10, 2011 at 5:30 PM
    bamayota

bamayota [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jayson
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '97 Tacoma 4x4
    thanks yoter, one thing i read on here is that 5100's would bottom out and top out, on the rear, if i read it correctly.

7. Mar 10, 2011 at 7:04 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    mine does the same thing..Add some bilstiens and see if it helps..Sounds like new springs will help also. Get in on the group buy, you can get wheelers 4pack for cheap.

8. Mar 11, 2011 at 6:11 AM
    bamayota

bamayota [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jayson
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '97 Tacoma 4x4
    Thanks buddy

9. Mar 11, 2011 at 6:15 AM
    TacomaGus

TacomaGus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    Tinted Tails, TRD Shift Knob, Kenwood Headunit, Ebay BHLM Lights, Trimmed Mud Flaps, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's, WeatherTech Mats, Black Badges, Sylvania ZXE Bulbs, AFE Stage 2 Si Intake, 17x8.5 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, URD SS, Custom 2.5" Catback with Aero 2525 and Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, URD MAF CAL, JBA LT Headers, OME 884's, Nitrochargers, Dakars with 3rd lead removed, Light Racing UCA's
    i recommend going with an OME setup, although cheaper i think its higher quality than the 5100's. Don't get me wrong the Bilsteins are great but after a couple years they get very stiff. You could go all OME nitrocharger shocks and get the 880 coils and that'd give u about 2 inches of lift to level on the front to give you a little extra clearance for nasty hunting treks, believe me i've been there lol

To Top