1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

98 taco cruise control problem

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by odysseus99, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Feb 6, 2010 at 4:28 PM
    odysseus99

odysseus99 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 taco 4x4 xtracab SR5
    I searched the site but didn't find an answer to this.

The cruise control on my 98 taco 2.7L auto 4x4 is so sensitive it is useless. Set it to cruise at 60 or so, and at the slightest incline or resistance it downshifts, but once over the incline, and going downhill, it won't upshift. Take it out of cruise and it quickly upshifts back to overdrive.

With cruise off, it never downshifts on slight inclines and it's easy to keep in overdrive. Actually, it takes a serious press on the pedal to get it to downshift.

Can't find any info on adjusting the thing.

Anyone else have this problem? Fixes?

JG

2. Feb 6, 2010 at 4:42 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    No Truck..well, maybe
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Go to your nearest incline & before you start up it set your cruise for the speed limit or whatever (60mph I think you said) & make a note at what SPEED your dash tells you i.e; If you set it for 60mph if its working right you'll maintain that speed whether going up hill or down, don't try to think for the tranny its responding to the many adjustments that the on board CPU is pulsing to your CC & back to the transmission.......:cool:

3. Feb 6, 2010 at 4:47 PM
    odysseus99

odysseus99 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 taco 4x4 xtracab SR5
    It definitely holds the speed at which it is set. The problem is it won't stay in overdrive. It downshifts to overdrive at the slightest resistance, then won't go back into overdrive after the resistance.

I'd like to adjust it so it is not so sensitive- okay if it slows just a bit below the set level without downshifting. But if it has to downshift, it should at least upshift after the incline/resistance.

4. Feb 7, 2010 at 8:57 AM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    Shifting out of overdrive when 'resistance' (decreased speed) occurs is normal behavior - it's the way the cruise control system is designed. It cuts out whenever vehicle speed drops 2.5 mph below the speed you set.

To Top