1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

98 taco - tranny removal.. Engine too??

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tawd77, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Oct 18, 2008 at 12:06 AM
    tawd77

tawd77 [OP] Member

Member:
    Kansas
    stock 2.4/manual
    Im thinking of putting a new clutch in my 98 tacoma, 2.4l xtracab base model. I read online that the tranny has to be removed WITH the engine before they can be seperated... Why is that? I noticed that the crossmember isnt removable, but isnt there enough room to unbolt the bellhousing from the engine, move the whole tranny back, and then drop the front of the tranny down and then slide it forward til the rear clears the crossmember?

Or are there bolts that you cant get to unless the engine/tranny are both out of the vehicle? Im really confused, and in no way do I want to take the tranny AND engine out. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. Oct 18, 2008 at 7:40 PM
    350TacoZilla

350TacoZilla Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hancock MD
    Vehicle:
    1997 3RZ 5spd 4x4 Reg Cab
    2.7L 3RZ,K&N filter, 4" deck plate mod,flowmaster 40 series,3" suspension lift, hybrid 52"chevy/toyota rear springs.
    I'm not sure since your truck is a 5 lugger and all mine have been 4x4 but it would seem wierd that I can remove the trans and transfer case from a 4wd without removing engine yet you have to with a 4x2... it would be worth it to try and remove trans only first... if all else you will have to take motor out..but hey you would have to anyway if you went with the other method

3. Oct 20, 2008 at 5:41 AM
    NavyNate06

NavyNate06 yeah i fix F/A-18s

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5
    Toytec 3 inch coilovers, OME springs/shocks, Toytec shackles, rattle can paint job, lc headers,
    i know from recent experience that it's easier to do it with both engine and tranny out. i only say that because it took me 2 hours to beat the tranny off of the engine with a large pry bar and an 8 pound hammer. toyota tolerances and the tranny hadn't been removed before. i can't say for sure how the arrangement is under your truck, but the pain i went through with mine tell me it might be easier just to pull them both. like zilla said, try the tranny first, if all else fails, it would be a good time to do an engine clean up and replace some of the hard to reach parts. Aka fuel filter, cough.

To Top