1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

99 SR5 shocks and struts

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Mod, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Jul 29, 2010 at 4:24 PM
    Mod

Mod [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    Hey folks, thanks for letting me in the door.

I read a few of the threads on replacement shocks and struts and thought maybe someone could aim me in the right direction a bit better.

99 Tacoma, non-TRD, SR5, 4X4, no lift, all stock suspension and will stay that way. (minus shock and strut's)

I want to retain that OEM ride without the OEM price. The parts man is saying KYB, I am no so sure about those. been down that road so to speak and it was a harsh ride for the vehicle they were on. The stock shocks are done.

This is a daily driver truck with 30/9.50/15 BFG AP's, I dont wheel it hard, but do on rare occasion take it up around Mt St Helens.

Any ideas on a OEM type of shock and strut, or links to discussions that will answer that question.

Thanks!

2. Jul 29, 2010 at 5:29 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    If you want an OEM-like ride then get a set of the Bilstein HD shocks. Or, if you want to step it up a bit, get the Bilstein 5100 series. The fronts are adjustable for 0"-3" lift. IMO either choice would be money well spent.

3. Jul 30, 2010 at 11:51 AM
    Mod

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    Thanks for the reply, it is appreciated.

I will check out the Bilstein's. I had seen that on some of the searches I did and also by talking to other folks that the HD's seem to be the general consensus for the "better than" OEM replacement.

Thanks again!.

4. Jul 30, 2010 at 12:32 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    5100's baaaaaaby ! So you can level out your truck, but I do have a pair of OEM Bilstein gas charged shocks (fronts only) for sale $60 for the pair ,excellent cond. I think they still sell for about $80 per shock if you want OEM's. My 2000 is 4x also........:D

Web DSC01590.jpg

5. Jul 30, 2010 at 4:04 PM
    Mod

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    Who has the best reputable deal online at the moment?.

I found ShockWarehouse.com at around $314 for all 4 Bill HD's,, free shipping.

anyone else reccomended?.

6. Oct 18, 2010 at 3:14 AM
    Mod

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    Finally got around to installing the HD Bills and new BFG AT/KO's. night and day difference. Since I had it apart, I went ahead and put in new swaybar main bushings and end link bushings. Much better, it's back to having that go-kart handling,,or something similar.

Went with Tirerack.com for tires and shocks. all in stock and all out of one online store. Fast shipping,,ordered on a Sat and they were here the following Wed.

7. Oct 18, 2010 at 2:05 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    I have the 5100's on my truck and love them...also did new coils and leaf springs as well. If you do get the 5100's and new coils you can expect to get about a 2" lift in the front. I'm not sure what you could expect for lift in the rear by just replacing the shocks there. The HD's might be the better option for you if you are doing shocks and nothing else.

Check out Wheeler's Offroad and Downsouth Motorsports, both are vendors on here and both carry Bilsteins.

8. Oct 18, 2010 at 3:43 PM
    vantaco

vantaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 Taco Xtracab TRD Step Side
    sorry but "go-kart handling" and tacoma's (all trucks) do not belong in the same sentence lol.....unless it's: they do NOT have

9. Apr 18, 2011 at 2:17 PM
    Mod

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    Back from the dead,,or dying.

Quick question,,will the Wheelers 5 leafs and matching front coils work with my recently replaced stock shocks (replaced with Bill HD's) or will I run out of compression and rebound with the Bill HD shock lengths.

Wheeler's says the 5 leafs add 1.5" of lift.

10. Sep 4, 2014 at 7:39 AM
    Mod

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    Almost 4 Years to the day on the HD Bill's and they are shot. Rears blew there oil seals a few weeks ago. Rough Country's from Wheelers going back on shortly. Old man Emu spring packs and matching coils holding up very well.

The Rough Country's were a really good shock back in the day,,then they went to crap for about 10-15 years or so,,then back to being a good shock again from all the reports. We will see.

11. Oct 24, 2014 at 8:53 AM
    Mod

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    Rough Country V2.0 rears mounted up and test rode. Boots, boot clamp, and shock sticker in the boxes. Bushings pressed in place. Shock sticker inside was wadded up and unusable.

Very nice ride combined with the Bill struts up front. Rear Bilsteins were removed and found to have a lot of fluid loss,,but still semi charged with gas. Front struts are still riding as they should with no leakage,,but had a pretty good trounce/bang when the rear shocks would pass over the same road bump.

Thanks Wheelers for the 2 day service and little bag of awesome treats with every order. I think they get you wired up on sugar as you install your kits so you strip bolts and nuts and have to reorder,,lol. Conspiracy there I think.:)

Products Discussed in

To Top