1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

99 Tacoma 5 Speed - 2 amp draw with truck off

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by mcvoss, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Sep 19, 2012 at 7:04 PM
    mcvoss

mcvoss [OP] Member

Member:
    Guys,

I have a 2.3amp draw when everything is turned off. This is what I was wondering. I have a 99 4 cyl, 5 speed Tacoma. A week ago I disconnected the switch, and twisted the wires together, on the switch that is pressed when you depress the clutch to start the car. Could that be drawing the current becasue the wires are twisted together all the time? I am also curious what that switch is called.

Thanks in advance,

2. Sep 21, 2012 at 3:01 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Since I do not believe there is any voltage on that circuit with the key off, you shouldn't have the issue with that switch. That being said, it should be relatively easy to find such a big draw. Check your interior lights and make sure they are not on is a fast, easy check. Then you can disable the interior lights with the switch, and while measuring the parasitic draw, pull one fuse at a time until your draw goes away. Once you find the fuse powering the draw, it should be pretty simple to locate the fault. Good luck and let us know what you find!

3. Sep 22, 2012 at 6:48 PM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    FWIW, I have seen that type of problem where a wire was pinched against metal. The insulation gradually failed, yielding a low resistance to ground. The failure didn't show up for a long time after the wire was pinched.

Just something to look for.

4. Sep 23, 2012 at 5:27 PM
    AlaskanTaco

AlaskanTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5 acc cab tacoma
    Make sure you are giving plenty of time for the computers to shut down. GM says, "20 minutes to allow all modules to shut down." I say anything over a 60mA draw is to much. But, that is also on a Duramax. There is a equation that I can find that includes your CCA of your battery and amp rate hours. Next thing to do is start pulling fuses to isolate the circuit causing the issue.
    :)

5. Sep 23, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    jfr02

jfr02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 dcsb 6spd sport
    disconect your alternator,the battery cable going to it I have seen this a few times.draws that large usualy not a small component.

Products Discussed in

To Top