1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

a/c and transmission problem linked???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by reece13, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Jul 13, 2011 at 4:15 PM
    reece13

reece13 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD sport, 6spd, 4wd
    Toytec Coilovers, Total Chaos uca's, Wheelers aal+Bilstein 5160's. 285/70/17's, Method Double Standards. Magnaflow exhaust, GrilleCraft grille, Allpro bumper,diff breather relocate, yellow wire mod, oil catch can, weathertechs.
    hello everyone, i have a ? about my 2005 taco..its a 4wd, v6 4.0, with the auto trans. I've noticed that when the a/c is on, the trans. seems to slip..what i mean by "slip" is when i am coming to a stop or slow and then step back on the gas, the trans. will sometimes rev up then slam into gear and go...but it doesnt seem to do it when the a/c is not on...has anyone else xperienced this?? is it something to do with the idle when a/c is on?? other than that, the truck runs perfect. I had the complete trans flush done at 100k at the local dealer, but i had noticed this problem long before that...just curious if this is typical toyota mannerisms??

2. Jul 13, 2011 at 9:41 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    The problem you are describing seems to be very common to the 2nd gen Tacomas. There are multiple threads on this problem. Sometime it's the brake pads shifting. Sometimes it's the transmission down shifting. To me it seems to be normal. The A/C being on just amplifies the lurch/clunk due to the heavier load on the engine. My wifes 08 4Runner (which has the 4.0 & same 5 speed auto trans) does the same thing too. I wouldn't really worry about it. Just make sure you hold the brake pedal down hard enough at stop lights so it doesn't jump forward into the car in front of you:).

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/99573-clunk-stop-light.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/40929-clunk-when-stopping.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/141346-clunk-after-pushing-brake.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/performance-tuning/26104-shifting-stop-help.html

3. Jul 14, 2011 at 7:35 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    It does this after coming to a complete stop, and then attempting to get going again? Or is it just surging a bit when you are stopped? Or, is it when slowing down, then attempting to get back up to speed?

1, is not normal, sounds like tranny slippage to me. 2, is normal, they all do this. 3 was normal on 09+ trucks until a TSB was issued, and, from what I recall, some pre-09's did this to.

4. Jul 14, 2011 at 9:50 AM
    reece13

reece13 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD sport, 6spd, 4wd
    Toytec Coilovers, Total Chaos uca's, Wheelers aal+Bilstein 5160's. 285/70/17's, Method Double Standards. Magnaflow exhaust, GrilleCraft grille, Allpro bumper,diff breather relocate, yellow wire mod, oil catch can, weathertechs.
    thanx for the info...and to answer your ?..yes..when i start slowing down to say, come to a stop light b/c its red and then the light turns green-then if i step back on the gas after breaking normal, it will rev up then kinda bang into gear..doesnt do it all the time though..and ive read how this is a common issue with these strupid transmissions.

5. Jul 14, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Got it. My 09 did that until the TSB was installed on it. Agreed, it was very annoying during the time I had to deal with it.

To Top