1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

a/c compressor dying

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by judd94, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Aug 4, 2010 at 12:17 PM
    judd94

judd94 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Vehicle:
    10 DC TRD O/R PreRunner SexyAss Barcelona Red
    TRD Drop-In, TRD Exhaust, OEM Roof Rack, N-Fabs, WeatherTech Liners, LED Interior Lights, Devil Horns Emblem, 2011 Painted Grill, Debadged with Sockmonkey TRD Badging only, Katzkins Leather Int; Next: 5100s/Eibachs
    my 08 has 30k miles.
    started hearing a weird vibration when the truck was at normal operating temp and a/c compressor actually running. never had issues with a/c cooling in this 120 degree heat. traced sound to compressor area but couldn't trace it closer.
    dealer traced it to a/c compressor. get a new next week as soon as i can get back in there. guessing it is a bad bearing or something related to pulley.

2. Aug 6, 2010 at 1:31 PM
    judd94

Member:
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Drop-In, TRD Exhaust, OEM Roof Rack, N-Fabs, WeatherTech Liners, LED Interior Lights, Devil Horns Emblem, 2011 Painted Grill, Debadged with Sockmonkey TRD Badging only, Katzkins Leather Int; Next: 5100s/Eibachs
    WTF!!!!!!!!!!! ok so its not the ac compressor. found that one out the hard way. still makes as much noise as ever. they don't know what it is. i don't know what it is. but it so so damn annoying!!!!!!!!!!
    the sound is like a growl. only does it when the actual ac compressor is running. if ac is on low you hear it the best but can hear it on 2. the sound is definitely coming from the front of truck in belt area. you can't stick a stethoscope in there to find it because the fan will take your fingers off. the sound resonates into cab. nothing is loose and everything is operating normally.
    i have 4k miles left on warranty and if whatever breaks later on it may or may not be covered under powertrain warranty.

3. Aug 6, 2010 at 1:36 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 mod status????

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    If the truck is under warrenty give it back to them and let them find it. :notsure:

Is there another dealer in your area you can try if this one is unable to locate the problem?

4. Aug 6, 2010 at 2:54 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    There was a post about this a couple of weeks ago. An accurate description of the noise was "an audible vibration". I knew before reading your second post that swapping out the AC compressor was not going to solve the problem.

Many owners has described this noise in the Tacoma. Since it is abundant, one would tend to assume this noise is normal. Most audible when at idle in my 2005. The AC is basically a refrigeration unit. Refrigeration units make very weird noises...

5. Aug 6, 2010 at 10:10 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
  6. Aug 6, 2010 at 10:17 PM
    deadbolt

deadbolt do w3rk!

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    08 Dbl Cab 6spd 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Black Headlights, HIDs, Tinted Fogs, Powdercoated Black Wheels, 5100s @ 2.5", Diff drop, AFE Exhaust, AFE Stage 2 Intake, Black Emblems/Grille, LED Tail lights, 265/75/16s Good Year Duratracs
    ive been experiencing something weird when i turn on the a/c as well. sometimes when i turn it on the truck vibrates and it sounds like the gears are grinding.

7. Aug 7, 2010 at 10:03 PM
    judd94

Member:
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Vehicle:
    today i went to a dealer i have dealt with in past and they are the best dealer i have ever been to. allthe techs that have looked at it just ask me about different noises and tell me this and that are normal. did you know the ticking is normal? lol j/k. the first guy said my lowest idler pulley was much louder than the other 2 so he chanegd it out. bot the prblem. anyway one of the other guys finally heard the noise and he was shocked. they put it on rack while running and took off skid plates and tried to track it down. they cant' find it. so now they have opened a case with the main toyota technical people that help the dealer mechanic people. i have to take it back on tuesday and leave it there.
    the hardest part is that there is a DC Sport 4wd barcelona red and it is sweet ass lookin. i want it. with the 2.9% interest i might be able to exchange interest for principal and get into it with the same note and time.

8. Aug 7, 2010 at 10:03 PM
    judd94

Member:
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Vehicle:
    i am going to check my alternator bolts right now

To Top