1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A/C Evaporator replacement

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by MattFL, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Sep 12, 2016 at 12:06 PM
    MattFL

MattFL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    S. Florida
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma V6 4x4 TRD Extended cab
    Can anyone point me to a HowTo or video showing replacement of the A/C evaporator in a 1999 Tacoma v6?

This will be my second evaporator in this truck since I bought it new in 1999. Does the evaporator frequently fail on these?

Thanks!

2. Sep 12, 2016 at 12:14 PM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    Its usually the expansion valve (connected immediately to the evaporator) that goes, but I suppose an evaporator can too. I've replaced the whole dash a couple of times and can explain anything you get hung up on.

3. Sep 12, 2016 at 12:48 PM
    MattFL

Member:
    S. Florida
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'm going to replace everything under there while it's apart (evaporator, expansion valve, anything else?), given how much work it is to get in there. I'll have 1 day to knock the whole thing out so I would like to study and order all the parts before hand. Does the entire dash have to come out to get the necessary access to the evaporator? Any tips would be greatly appreciated! :)

4. Sep 12, 2016 at 12:54 PM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    It's pretty easy to change, you just have to remove the glovebox and it's little plastic top piece as well as its hinge brace. Then you can begin to loosen all the evaporator box bolts as well as the blower motor and air selector box. The climate control system is just three main pieces and you are removing the two closest to the passenger side. The blower motor box comes out first, then the evaporator box will slide out and you can take it apart and change the pieces out. Just make sure you've disconnected the AC lines in the engine bay beforehand. If your AC lines have a plastic clip holding the small (high pressure line) together you'll need to buy that as they tend to fall apart easily once they've been disturbed. If your truck has the older screw together type then you'll have nothing to worry about.

5. Sep 12, 2016 at 12:56 PM
    MattFL

Member:
    S. Florida
    Vehicle:
    Thank you very much, wish me luck!

PS-> The problem is it's leaking. I had the evaporator replaced by a professional shop about 6 years ago due to a leak, and I paid extra for OEM parts. I'm surprised it went bad again, but I had it checked today and they say the evaporator is leaking again. I'm taking their word for it, but replacing it myself this time. I'm curious to see if it's rubbing on something to cause another leak so soon.

Speedytech7 likes this.
  6. Sep 27, 2016 at 9:14 PM
    Mac The Steve

Mac The Steve Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Central CA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Custom Innovation shell
    Hi all - I could use some insights. I had my AC Compressor and dryer replaced today at the mechanics. It had been only blowing warm air when it was really hot out so I just ordered the OEM parts figuring an old worn out compressor clutch. I drove to the mechanics with it blowing nice & cold. I drove away nearly $500 poorer (just labor) with them telling me that there was not pressure & there must be a leak under the dash & they'd have to take it all out & replace the bad evaporator. Seems like they screwed up somewhere & want me to pay for it. Does this seem legit to anyone or am I getting the shaft?

Noob95.5 likes this.
  7. Oct 18, 2016 at 8:05 AM
    MattFL

Member:
    S. Florida
    Vehicle:
    It's possible there is a leak. Add a can of dye, then next time you're low on refrigerant use the light (or have the shop use the light) and you should have dye all over the area where the leak is.

Products Discussed in

To Top