1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A/C Help works then quits

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by zrs25, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Apr 1, 2010 at 12:01 PM
    zrs25

zrs25 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    SWVA
    Vehicle:
    1997 2.7 4x4 Tacoma
    31x10.5 on wheels, Dent in tail gate
    I bought my tacoma last summer thinking the a/c worked and it definatley does not. I searched around and figured out how to add the stuff that makes it work, R134a or something like that. I added some and boom it worked compresser cut on I had cold air. It was nice. Well the next day, it didn't work anymore. That was last summer, now that it getting hot my 50 mile total ride to school is not fun. I don't know what the problem is. Seems like there is a leak, because of what happened. What could cause this problem and how much would it cost. I know some a/c work is expensive. Thanks for any help. Easy to get spolt to a/c.

2. Apr 1, 2010 at 12:04 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    It could be a lot of things causing the leak: compressor seal, hose, bad solder joint, etc. I am afraid the only way to get it fixed properly is by a mechanic.

3. Apr 1, 2010 at 12:10 PM
    zrs25

zrs25 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    SWVA
    Vehicle:
    1997 2.7 4x4 Tacoma
    31x10.5 on wheels, Dent in tail gate
    Well that's alright, gotta do what ya gotta do. I was afraid of that. I'll try to get it to a garage soon. Thanks for the reply. If ya'll have had experience with this and can throw out some number of a price that would be helpful. I don't want to spend whole lot on it.

4. Apr 1, 2010 at 12:26 PM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    There is at least one thing you can do first. You can recharge the system and spray all the visibile refrigerant lines and caps with soap bubbles to try to locate the leak yourself. A tale tell sign will be refrigerant oil deposits or and metal to metal rubbing. If it was a compressor seal it is unlikely you would have experienced cooling because it would have not been able to pump the refrigerant efficiently through the system.

At least isolating the leak yourself will pervent you from having to pay for the leak check, in which they will most likely put a dye in your system which often is deprimental to it's efficiency.

5. Apr 1, 2010 at 12:26 PM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    Nobody will be able to throw out a price to you. There is no way to know without checking the truck. The range of potential is just WAY too wide. Something simple like an oring could be under 200, other issues could be over a grand. Have it checked and make the call.

DO NOT PUT STOP LEAK IN IT!!!! They sell it, just don't buy it.

You have one or more leaks in the system. Have them identified and get an estimate for repair. Do not throw money away on an EVAC and Charge service with dye alone. That will only cost you money and time and you will have to come back for them to use a black light on the system and find the leak. By that time, you will have lost all the R134 and they will charge you for more. If it quit in a day like you describe, any tech worth the toolbox they use should be able to find it the first time. That way they can pull the R134 back out (recover), make the repairs and recharge the system with little or no loss.

Products Discussed in

To Top