1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A/C issues

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ducks, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Mar 12, 2014 at 12:03 PM
    ducks

ducks [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Salem, OR
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD access cab 4x4
    K&N airfilter, synthetic oil, seafoam fuel treatment.
    Hey all,
    When I start the truck in the morning and flip on the defrost...it kicks on the A/C. Well, now it kicks on and then 5 seconds later it turns off and the orange A/C light on the the A/C button starts to flash!!!. Heard a squeal noise once. Any ideas??:typing:

Thanks,
    Ducks

2. Mar 13, 2014 at 12:07 PM
    OCNutty

OCNutty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern, Va.
    Vehicle:
    Silver Prerunner DC v6 SR5 Tow
    probably lost the charge; if you're unlucky the compressor or clutch may need replacement.
    Squeal may mean low on gas (leak), so not enough lube cycling with the low gas to the compressor. so the compressor metal parts object. the cutoff in 5 sec would be to protect the system (senses low gas). if only a charge lost and the blinker is telling you so. can tell this by if the compressor is actually turning in that 5 sec, the low side pressure goes too low opening a switch. Hopefully it's this, so needs a charge-- about $150 or a walmart kit with 134a for about $60.00.
    Worse case would be locked compressor, so the clutch tries to engage, the compressor won't turn, belt squeals skidding on the pulley which won't turn with the bad compressor, system detects a problem and cuts off, signals problem with a blinking light. about $1k.
    Have to get it checked out.

3. Mar 13, 2014 at 6:13 PM
    ducks

ducks [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Salem, OR
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD access cab 4x4
    K&N airfilter, synthetic oil, seafoam fuel treatment.
    I'm really hoping it just needs a charge. I have to go to the dealer next week for the seat-belt recall...I'll have them charge the system while I'm there. However, that would mean there is a leak somewhere right? Will A/C loose charge for sitting and not being used over 9 years? ...Like tires??:confused:

4. Mar 13, 2014 at 9:34 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    If the charge is low the compressor should not even engage the clutch on the compressor. If the switch was shorted it would but the odds are not in favor of two failures at the same time.

It sounds like the compressor is locking up in my opinion. If you need a compressor get the dryer / filter also. If you don't there is a good chance your new compressor will blow also due to contamination.

5. Mar 13, 2014 at 9:35 PM
    G17GUY

G17GUY Well-Known Member

Member:
    Modesto Ca
    Vehicle:
    tacoma
    spining hub caps chrome stick-on trim new car smell air freshiner stering wheel suicide knob nut sack on hitch back window curtain
    See if you can spin the compressor by hand when the truck is off.

Compressor in my 07 locked up with 38000 miles on the truck, when I took it apart the whole system had so much little aluminum shavings in the system that the filter in the high line before the expansion valve was clogged up.

The dealer wanted 2700 to fix it, I purchased everything on Amazon, including all the tools to fix it for around 1000 and it's been good ever since.

Let me know if you need help.

The Delphi compressors in these trucks are junk or the oil charge is low from the factory.

6. Mar 13, 2014 at 9:43 PM
    Fabulous

Fabulous Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma double-cab TRD Sport
    TRD Pro grill and fog lights, Toytec Boss lift, 265/70-17 Duratracs on 17 x 8.5 FN Verge wheels, LEER canopy, 30% tinted front windows.
    Already went through this ordeal. It's either the AC compressor clutch is gone (best case scenario) or the whole unit shit the bed. Hopefully it's just the clutch or you will have to likely replace the compressor and a number of other parts. I just had an Indy do mine, and it was still around $2K to have it rectified. My opinion is to have an expert look at it as soon as possible. Good luck.

7. Mar 14, 2014 at 5:24 AM
    OCNutty

OCNutty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern, Va.
    Vehicle:
    Silver Prerunner DC v6 SR5 Tow
    If the charge is low (meaning marginal) the compressor will run just long enough to pull the low side of the refrig. system below the operating point and the low side switch will shut it off in seconds. I believe there are diagnostics built in that keep it shut off when this happens and flash a code to help protect the system and not damage the serpentine belt.

I've had older vehicles on low charge where the compressor fast-cycles on/off without cooling. That's low refrig. and maybe a significant leak. I've even heard other vehicles at stop lights clicking every 5 seconds, on/off/on/off/on/off....
    Leak may be simple or complex and should be fixed but can be hard to find. But you only know if you can get it charged and see how it operates. Sometimes it will happen each winter as older seals start shrinking with very cold temps or a weak schrader valve. Then when charged they hold until the next winter, etc.
    As posted by others, determine if the compressor actually turns when it's engaged for that few seconds (watch as someone else turns it on), or if you (with engine off) can turn the compressor plate by hand. If you can (may be stiff) it may be chargable and not a big deal. If you cannot or the belt skids on a stuck pulley, the compressor is shot. I stand by others estimates in this case, as a shot compressor will spread contaminates in the system, plugging the dryer, accumulator, expansion valve, etc and it will need to be taken apart and flushed with other parts replaced.

Products Discussed in

To Top