1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A/C noisy

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by jeratbp, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Oct 8, 2013 at 5:43 AM
    jeratbp

jeratbp [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Norfolk, VA
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Sport V8
    When I start my truck with the A/C off, no problems. As soon as I turn my A/C on, I get this loud, what sounds like grinding noise.

Anyone else experience this? Is it something I can fix? Any idea of cost of repair?

Jeremy
    2008 Tacoma

2. Oct 14, 2013 at 7:05 PM
    Taco'09

Taco'09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Try loosening the fan belt and turning the compressor's drive, not the compressor's clutch that has all the ribs on it, and see if it feels grindy or has rough spots. If it does, your compressor is probably likely to grenade soon.

Therefore do not use the A/C or the defrost or bi-mode settings as they too run the compressor. If you catch a failing compressor in time you might be able to save the A/C system. If it is already being chopped to bits internally, all those metal pieces are being carried throughout the entire system and hide in the evaporator, condenser and elsewhere ready to break loose at any time and destroy a new compressor. Its a vicious cycle. The fix is usually to replace every component on the system. Sometimes you can flush the hoses and save a few bucks but everything else has to be replaced.

EDIT: I have added a link for you. Read through this thread and see if anything in it sounds familiar to you: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/61-2nd-generation-2005/571202-c-compressor-clutch.html

Maybe it is something as simple as the a/c clutch's rubber shock-loading buffer coming apart. Problem is the are no spare parts for the Delphi swash plate SP-15 compressor.

Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  3. Oct 20, 2013 at 5:07 AM
    jeratbp

jeratbp [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Norfolk, VA
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Sport V8
    So I stopped at the dealership yesterday, and was told the '08s are more likely to have a problem with the A/C motor fan inside the dash than the compressor - also a $130 part vs $600 from the dealer.

4. Oct 20, 2013 at 8:52 AM
    Taco'09

Taco'09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    OP, sounds like someone could be scamming you. There is no a/c motor inside the dash -- there is a single general HVAC squirrel-cage type fan that is mounted vertically on the right side just above your feet next to the glove box. It is mounted with three screws, and you can get to it without taking any part of the dash apart. Take a mirror and flashlight and you can clearly see how it is mounted. However, if you want to access the fan's filter, you will have to remove the glove box.

I bought the latest TSB fan motor from one of the discounters for less than $100 I believe.

The only thing else I can think of is there are three servo motors that move the air mix flaps inside the HVAC unit. Is your noise occur at a particular setting and goes away at another setting? Does it sound like a motor and plastic gears constantly struggling and grinding? There is a problem with one servo in particular that strips its internal plastic gears and produces a grinding noise. Try several settings and report back and I'll give you a link on the servo problem.

5. Apr 22, 2014 at 8:35 PM
    b7t8

b7t8 New Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Lifted 3"
    Bilstein 5100's, Rear Blocks (lift approx. 3" all around), BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain A/Ts P285R70/17, new spark plugs.
    Do you have a Toyota part number for the fan motor assembly?

Products Discussed in

To Top