1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A/C problem-O ? or not ?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by pat's taco, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Jul 6, 2010 at 3:41 PM
    pat's taco

pat's taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X DC
    Weathertech, ECG Fabrication retro grille, K&N intake, Magna flow dual, UWS low profile toolbox, NFAB & 30" light bar bumper, Spidertrax. 1.25, Mob Amour, XSP-X package
    First off hello everyone it's been awhile. I've been a busy boy, but i'm back now.

Anyway on to my issue. This morning (4 am ) I was heading to work and turn the air on and nothing came out. So I turn the dial up to the next notch and nothing and then the next and nothing. But when I put it on high it works and blows ice cold. So I'm kinda playing with it while eating a breakfast burrito, drinking scorching hot coffee, and driving like a bat out of hell and I still get nothing. It works fine on high, but not on low or in the middle. I here the A/C come on, but nothing. So basically I have no idea what to look at and to make this more dumb. When I got off today the damn thing works fine?

Any ideas ?

2. Jul 6, 2010 at 3:44 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    You havent been on TW for a while so your truck got mad at yah.:mad:

3. Jul 6, 2010 at 4:37 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    Check the condition of your cabin air filter.

4. Jul 6, 2010 at 4:44 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Sounds like you blew your blower motor resistor. It reduces the voltage going to the blower motor on all speeds other than high. High is full voltage, does not go through the resistor, and is not affected by a blown resistor.

I have not had to change mine, if you look up the factory service manual on ttora, it should tell you where to look. They are usually located on the blower housing. Should be a pretty obvious failure once you get it out.

Edit: I missed the part where it fixed itself! Its possible that the broken pieces of the resistor welded themselves back together. I have seen light bulbs do that.

5. Jul 6, 2010 at 6:14 PM
    pat's taco

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X DC
    Weathertech, ECG Fabrication retro grille, K&N intake, Magna flow dual, UWS low profile toolbox, NFAB & 30" light bar bumper, Spidertrax. 1.25, Mob Amour, XSP-X package
    Thanks for the help!

6. Jul 6, 2010 at 6:23 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Get ready to replace the blower too. When blowers start to die, they draw more amps. They overheat the resistors without blowing fuses.
    Check the leads off the blower. Usually the connectors show some menting/blackening, especially when they finally fail.

7. Jul 6, 2010 at 6:25 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Get ready to replace the blower too. When blowers start to die, they draw more amps. They overheat the resistors without blowing fuses.
    Check the leads off the blower. Usually the connectors show some menting/blackening, especially when they finally fail.
    It can also happen when your cabin air system is restricted (full filter, mouse house, junk from running without filter).

8. Jul 6, 2010 at 6:31 PM
    jamesglynn

jamesglynn James

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road, Dble Cab, Magnetic Gray
    Pat...
    My '10 done the same thing about 3 months ago. It would only work on high. It is the resistor. Skytower is right, the blower motor is what causes the problem. I was fortunate, mine was still under warranty. They replaced the resistor 2 times, I was telling them the whole time that they should replace the fan motor as well because it make a chattering noise. So finally after 2 resistors, they replaced the fan motor AND resistor, and no problems since then-problem solved.
    Where is Alabama are you, I'm in Tallapoosa County about 30 miles northwest of Auburn.

9. Jul 6, 2010 at 6:34 PM
    pat's taco

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X DC
    thanks for info. I live by the oil slickened gulf in Mobile. :(

10. Jul 6, 2010 at 6:34 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM Roll Tide

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4 Blown Honda VTEC V8
    trd exhaust,step bars,vent visors,bed lights,tailgate mod
    i thought auburn was in south georgia

11. Jul 10, 2010 at 4:57 AM
    Kahunadave

Kahunadave Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 DC PrernrTRD Sport
    K&N CAI-series 63, custom Billet Grille, Magnaflow exhaust, AR Tactic 17x8, Toyo A/T opencountry 265/70/17, Iridium plugs.
    X2!! Mine went out about 2 months ago.. same thing,,works on HIGH but not low ad med. THen all of a sudden started working for like a week and half..but not now :( . Off to check the blower motor resistor!

12. Jul 10, 2010 at 8:32 PM
    Kahunadave

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 DC PrernrTRD Sport
    K&N CAI-series 63, custom Billet Grille, Magnaflow exhaust, AR Tactic 17x8, Toyo A/T opencountry 265/70/17, Iridium plugs.
    Well Guys.. $35 and about 10-15 min work and my blower motor is working perfectly!! Thanks and a rep to Joes06 :thumbsup:. Here are some pics for anyone else having problems with this.

I initially removed the glovebox looking for the bm resistor..and found it was actually located "underneath" the glovebox. With a little help from Mr. 5.5mm socket i removed the 2 screws holding the resistor in it's housing. Then simply unclip the wiring harness and remove old resistor. Now you can either attach the wiring harness to the New resistor and then screw back in, or insert resistor and then the harness...it's a matter of preference. Now Test! :D

001.jpg
    002.jpg
    003.jpg
    004.jpg

13. Jul 10, 2010 at 9:07 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Thanks for posting pics!

Were you able to see anything wrong with the blower as Skytower had suggested?

14. Jul 10, 2010 at 9:24 PM
    2.7taco

2.7taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tan Tacoma Base 5 LUG: Beaten , abused and still running strong.
    Fat Bobs 2.75 lift and level with short AAL, 16x8 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 245/75R16 Toyo Open Country ATII, custom trans shift kit(home made), Trans temp. and Vac gauge, URD fuel pump upgrade(going back to stock soon).
    Its most likely a loose connector I have the exact same issue if it works intermittently then the resistor is fine. The resistor is either working or not it does not fail and work again.

Next time it acts up put it in park turn the blower on a non working setting and wiggle the wire that connects to the blower motor. If it comes back on then those connectors are loose if not take some time one day and just wiggle a few wires if it does not come back on then look at the resistor block.

15. Jul 10, 2010 at 9:24 PM
    Kahunadave

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 DC PrernrTRD Sport
    Yeah threads w/out pics are pretty worthless :cool: I dont really have any probs with Noise, clicking or otherwise, and the fan seemed to move pretty freely so did not really check blower leads as Skytower mentioned..but did notice the Filter was full of junk..leaves etc.. May take a second look tomorrow in daylight.. and see if anything of concern. I guess if anyone has the time a quick service of the blower motor (clean and lube) may be worthwhile..my Taco has 103K so that may be a project at later date.

16. Jul 10, 2010 at 9:43 PM
    BigJLarse83

BigJLarse83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    06 DC PreRunner TRD Sport
    I have a similar problem, I have just been too busy/lazy to check it out. My A/C started doing this last summer, all I have been doing is giving the blower a little smack and it works again. Only problem now is that even on high I have very little air coming out, as if it were on low.

17. Jul 11, 2010 at 12:04 PM
    2.7taco

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Fat Bobs 2.75 lift and level with short AAL, 16x8 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 245/75R16 Toyo Open Country ATII, custom trans shift kit(home made), Trans temp. and Vac gauge, URD fuel pump upgrade(going back to stock soon).
    Bad connectors but the smack may have killed the blower motor.

18. Jul 11, 2010 at 4:19 PM
    BigJLarse83

BigJLarse83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    06 DC PreRunner TRD Sport
    It was more of a love-tap :smack:

19. Jul 12, 2010 at 2:15 PM
    2.7taco

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Haha ok well try checking the connector on the underside of the blower motor. It may have wiggled loose. My blower did act up then I unplugged the connector and plugged it back in turned it on to any setting other than hi and it worked. There is a bundle of wires further up from that connector if all else fails wiggle them not too hard but enough for them to move if it comes back on then you have either a loose connector upstream or an open wire(internally torn no contact between the wire strands).

20. Jul 12, 2010 at 2:51 PM
    bjohnson23

bjohnson23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Bama(ROLLTIDE)
    Vehicle:
    07 prerunner trd sport
    mine went out today also!!!!! I have no air what so ever! I checked the resistor and it has a little rust is there anyway to put a meter on it to see is it is good or not?

To Top