1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A few ?? about PIAA light insatll

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by BHP, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Aug 15, 2012 at 1:02 PM
    BHP

BHP [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Roswell, GA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Dbl Cab Prerunner
    Hi,

I have a 2002 Dbl Cab that I've owned since new, and I'm trying to freshen it up for the next 10 years. I installed some bedside decals from Sockmonkey and a new bull bar.

I purchased a new set of PIAA 510s to install on my bull bar. Now, I've never done any electrical work on my car, but I feel pretty confident about installing the wiring for these lights if I can get a few questions answered.

1. Wire routing from the lights-in front of the radiator or behind?

2. I see the gasket in the firewall that I need to route the switch wires through. What's the best way to accomplish getting wire through the gasket without damaging the gasket? Wire Hanger and electrical tape?

3. From what I've read, it looks like the high beam wire for my truck is the red and yellow wire, but I'd like confirmation of that.

Any other tips or issues would be appreciated.

Bill

2. Aug 15, 2012 at 2:07 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I have 2 sets of PIAA 520's and their wiring kits are easy to install however I didn't trust those quick connectors to hold up in the elements on the front of a truck. I cut off all the connectors and soldered and heat shrunk everything. If you're planning on those lights lasting for 10 years, I'd suggest doing the same. If not, at least put some dielectric grease in the quick connector to help keep water and dirt from getting in.

Welcome to TW by the way!

3. Aug 15, 2012 at 2:23 PM
    BHP

BHP [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Roswell, GA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Dbl Cab Prerunner
    Thanks for the info and the welcome!

From looking closer it looks like I can run the wires for the lights down the driver's side and then though the opening for the headlamp, and down along the lower bumper valance.

I'm using these as driving lights. We don't have a lot of fog down here, but I do a lot of driving in rural areas and forest service roads at night, so I'm looking to just tie them into my high beams.

I've looked at a wiring diagram for a 2003, and I'm assuming that it's the same as 2002, and it showed the red/yellow wire for the high beams, but I'd like confirmation before the install.

Thanks again.

4. Aug 15, 2012 at 2:28 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    No problem. If you have an auto parts store nearby, a test light is a handy tool for any automotive wiring. It makes finding the correct circuit very easy and also can be used as a quick tester to see if a wire or circuit is hot. They're pretty cheap also.
    [​IMG]

5. Aug 15, 2012 at 2:38 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Just a tip for a fellow member, I also have PIAA 520's behind my grill on my 2006 and I use them quite a bit for DTRL's on the highway and things like that so I wouldnt wire them up with your high beams. Plus it will give you the freedom to turn them on and off whenever you please.

6. Aug 15, 2012 at 2:58 PM
    BHP

BHP [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Roswell, GA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Dbl Cab Prerunner
    I would consider not hooking them up to the high beams if there is some way (I'm sure there is) to make sure the lights turn off with the ignition, so I don't leave them on and drain my battery.

7. Aug 15, 2012 at 3:04 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I hooked mine up that way but I just forgot which wire I tied into!! But mine shut off when the truck shuts off for just that reason.

8. Aug 15, 2012 at 3:09 PM
    BHP

BHP [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Roswell, GA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Dbl Cab Prerunner
    I wonder if I could wire them into my parking lights. Then they could be on with the parking lamp or headlamps but off with the lights off. Then I could run them as DTRL as needed, which my truck doesn't have.

9. Aug 15, 2012 at 3:13 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Either way I think you should wire them up separately so you have control of them whenever you want. Search around on the forum a bit cause trust me, there are plenty of guys out there that have installed off-road lights to their trucks so I'm sure they would know.;)

10. Aug 16, 2012 at 1:00 PM
    BHP

BHP [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Roswell, GA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Dbl Cab Prerunner
    I installed my lights today using the PIAA directions and tips from this forum. I loomed all of my wiring and wired into the parking lights, using my new circuit tester to find the hot wire. Thankfully, everything works as it should with no glitches.

Thanks for the help! :)

11. Jan 2, 2013 at 12:55 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    Get rid of the switch and wire them straight to the running lights wire. Or just leave the switch on and plug the fuse into a spot that comes on with ignition. Haha

12. Jan 2, 2013 at 1:33 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    NO!

You should always use a relay and an in-line fuse when wiring in an aftermarket accessory with very, very few exceptions.

If you want your aftermarket lights to come on when the marker lights come on, and do not want them controlled by a switch at all, tap into the marker light wire, use that to trigger your relay. Run power from the battery with an in-line fuse to power your relay and your accessory. Your accessory will then come on whenever your marker lights come on.

If you want to get a little fancier, run the tapped wire from your marker light to your switch, then from the switch to your relay to trigger your relay. That way your marker lights must be turned on AND the switch must be turned on in order for the aftermarker lights to work.

13. Jan 2, 2013 at 1:44 PM
    TACO TX

TACO TX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD Off Road 4x4(Barcelona red)
    Weather tech liners, Ranch Sierra truck cap
    Power from battery to relay, ground relay, power from relay to lights. Tap power to switch from 12volt plug as well as ground. Load wire from switch to relay. Inline fuse close to battery between it and relay. They go off with ignition and you can turn on anytime. Use existing switch ports next to 12 volt plugs.

14. Jan 2, 2013 at 4:28 PM
    TACO TX

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    Left prong on switch is power, right should be ground, middle is load. Run power from switch and tap power outlet hot, run ground and tap negative. Run load wire out through firewall to relay. Mount relay on fenderwell and ground it with screw you attach it with. Run large power wire with inline fuse from relay to battery. Pigtail power wires and grounds from lights. Run hot wire to relay and ground from lights to battery or chassis. relay should have numbers on it and should have diagram to tell what goes to which number or you can googl it and get diagram.

15. Jan 2, 2013 at 5:24 PM
    TACO TX

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    Sorry dude, dont know what else to do for ya.

Products Discussed in

To Top