1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A few Fire Dept. Questions

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by JDMrolla, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Jan 24, 2011 at 6:14 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    Its simple. Paid Department. Vollys take pride in what they do and consider it a second career.

2. Jan 24, 2011 at 6:17 PM
    ink junky

ink junky I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)
  3. Jan 24, 2011 at 6:33 PM
    Ryan07

Ryan07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DC,LB Sport 4x4
    Icon Ext. Coilovers, LR UCA's, Icon AAL, Nitro 9000 Shocks, 7"Kragen HID's/Billet Grille, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Bed Lights, Diff Breather Mod, D-Rings Mod, LED Interior Lighting/Plate Lights, LED 4X4 Switch, Viper Starter, AVH-P4200DVD, PAC Interface, OEM Backup Camera/Pop&lock, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Weathertech Mats, Husky Mud Flaps, 8000lbs Champion Winch/Winch Cradle and Quick Connect Kit, 4,500lbs Champion Winch/Front Hidden Winch Mount, OEM Painted Rims, Spidertrax 1.25, 265/70R17 BFG KO's
    Best of luck for you, take all the training you can, more you have better you will be. Volunteer department will be good experience.

4. Jan 24, 2011 at 6:50 PM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    I'm a volunteer been doing it for a year now and now that I'm 18 I'm gunna apply once I graduate highschool trying to get into wildland but being volunteer is a great experience so far I've learned a lot and meet a lot of people that's the best thing you can do introduce yourself to different people at the station you know them an they know you

5. Jan 28, 2011 at 12:13 PM
    JDMrolla

JDMrolla [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    06 Black DCab TRD off road 4x4
    ok so i reseached the volunteer program for city and its not an actual "volunteer firefighter" program like i thought (dont know how i missed this), but its "volunteer fire support tech" - more making sure equipment is all in check and providing other assistants to the firefighters.....im not sure if id be wasting my time doing this or if id be better off finding an independent volunteer station and going through the training and become and volunteer ems - i could also dump more money into the local community college for there ems program.

do you think the support tech sounds like a waste of time or a good step into the doorway?

6. Jan 28, 2011 at 12:25 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Well me and my Captain have never hear of "support techs" and it doesnt make sense to us because the firefighters themselves should be checking over all their own equipment and apparatuses. But if there isnt anything else around, I guess that would be your best option to get your foot in the door. My Captain and I were just talking about the competition of career firefighter jobs and "Nationwide," it is 300-1. So 300 people going after 1 position. Just some info for yah.

7. Jan 28, 2011 at 12:44 PM
    JDMrolla

Member:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    yea the career dept has over 1500 applications for 40 position so they are cutting over 800 by lottery here. im taking the written test tuesday as i have nothing to lose.

as for the suppor tech heres the actual job discription and the interview is tonight for that.

Volunteer Support Technicians staff the Volunteer Fire Support truck and respond to incidents, providing the required air, lighting, and specialized equipment necessary to support firefighting and associated on-scene operations. Support Technicians also assist in hose packing, equipment placement, scene accountability, and other non-hazardous duties as assigned by the Incident Commander.

EDIT/UPDATE: Interview was rough, i didnt feel nervous going into it, but when it started my throat got really dry can could barley talk l;ajkflahjgflaghj

8. Mar 1, 2011 at 12:23 PM
    JDMrolla

Member:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    taking a polygraph to get in,,,,im nervous because ive smoked weed about 10 times awhile ago, but i dont smoke or drink anymore.....well my past disqualify me?

9. Mar 2, 2011 at 11:02 AM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.

I didn't have to do this when I went through our process 23 years ago but things have changed. All of our new guys have had to do this and my understanding is that more than looking to see if you have smoked weed or done other things in your past, the tester is looking to see if you are a liar or not. The name of the particular test using the poly escapes me right now but it seems to me that it is called a "personal ethics evaluation" or something to that effect. Every employer knows that nobody is perfect and in our youth we make some bad decisions. What employers do NOT want however are people that don't tell the truth or are currently involved in undesireable activities.

Be honest and if the answers prevent you from being hired than so be it, just don't make being untruthful prevent you from a career.

Just my $.02 CAD. :)

10. Mar 2, 2011 at 11:11 AM
    gooch14

gooch14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2011 Blk DC Taco SR5 4x LB
    Bestop, Child Seats, petrified french fry, dog hair, empty Mtn Dew cans cracked windshield, scratches.
    If you can pass a piss test and can chalk up your past behavior to being a dumb kid I'd assume you're in ok shape.

The support technician is weird, departments around me have 'cadets' where highschool aged kids and kids of current department members help change bottles, get guy water and roll hose but never checking gear.

Good luck man.

To Top