1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A few problems in a used taco I just bought

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TimR, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Jul 30, 2010 at 12:31 PM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    You're confusing used car sales with real estate...LOL

2. Jul 30, 2010 at 1:09 PM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4
    Did you run a carfax on it or did he supply one? They usually have some guarantee if the car is wrecked and they report it clean they will buy it.

3. Jul 30, 2010 at 3:30 PM
    TimR

TimR [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road Access Cab Black Sand Pearl
    Painted wheels black, 5100's, duratrac's, plasti dip fun, leer canopy, removed rear headrests, disabled seat belt alarm Satellite radio
    Carfax was clean.

Took It to the autobody shop, he said the bumps are dust under the paint- very poor job.

Took it to the frame shop, they said it's good. No signs underneath of serious damage.

The previous owner probably scratched the shite out of it and paid a dude 20 bucks to repaint it.

Really upset I'm stuck with a lousy paint job though....

4. Jul 30, 2010 at 3:35 PM
    fubar718

fubar718 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 double cab, TRD offroad
    Factory warranty will not cover warped rotors...considered wear and tear.

5. Jul 30, 2010 at 10:25 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    He might have had it off road and was a little rough on it. Sounds like it needs a little tweak here and there. Thing is everything should be adjustable somewhat. Key is to figure out what is correct and adjust the stuff that is not correct. Like is it the fender or is just the hood not adjusted correctly. Look at the underside of the hood hinges. Has the hinge bolts been taken off. It will have marks on the bolts if it has.

Impossible to take that off without leaving some clue that is has been removed.

Warped rotor fix. Ya you can fix them. There is no reason why they cannot be made flat again. If they where really bad maybe it might not last but it don't sound like it's bad. If you just notice it going really slow I would not worry about it. If you use the brakes correctly they will wear flat again. Don't let them get hot. Don't ride the brakes.

The moral of the story:

Get your truck inspected before you buy it not after. It needs some work, big deal, so do it and you'll have a fine machine but if you had noticed those problems before hand you may have been able to get a sweet deal.

6. Jul 31, 2010 at 8:26 AM
    DarrellH3

DarrellH3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner TRD Sport LB
    I just took my '09 Acura TSX with 30K miles to the dealership with warped rotors. The replaced them, no questions asked. I also have had two different Fords in the past that had rotor problems. They never gave me any trouble taking care of the problem. They both had around 15-20k miles when I took them in. I would be very disappointed if Toyota didn't provide similar service.

7. Jul 31, 2010 at 10:40 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Few things:

First, do further digging like everyone suggested (suspension parts, bent joints on the body, frame check, ect). That's your first major indication.

Also, it's not all doom and gloom, it really could be nothing.

Paint: You're in snow country, it's possible it got scratched bad either on a trail, parking lot, someone keyed it... who knows. The shop that repainted it (if it was) may have done a craptastic job, perhaps there is some surface rust under it that caused the spotting due to poor prep... probably not a huge deal. Worst case is a repaint (or upgrade to widebody buahahaha).

Hood alignment: Could just be the two adjustments are off (look under the hood for two rubber cylindar screw things, play around with them to get it aligned right).

Door alignment: The access cab doors can be adjusted. I had to have my 08 adjusted a few times because it worked loose out in the desert. It'd throw the gap lines a little off, not horribly but visible on a close inspection. Easy fix. Remember the suicide door setup is no where near as strong as a B pillar.

Honestly (of course only based off your descriptions as there's no pics or in person inspection)... you're probably fine and over analyzing it :p

The vibrations, is it a constant drone while the engine is running or an intermittent thing? I know the A/C compressor kicks the truck around a little on engage/disengage... the abs system primes itself... there are a few systems that can cause a little vibe if you're being hyper aware.

8. Aug 4, 2010 at 8:45 PM
    TimR

TimR [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road Access Cab Black Sand Pearl
    Painted wheels black, 5100's, duratrac's, plasti dip fun, leer canopy, removed rear headrests, disabled seat belt alarm Satellite radio
    Thanks to all of your for your input.

I took the truck to another autobody shop today, and they said that it is dust in the clear coat. It can be removed by wetsanding.

The guy must have scratched it up pretty bad in the one year he owned it, so he got a cheapo paint job to fix his resale value.

Oh well, its all cosmetic, and I can get it fixed if I choose.

Products Discussed in

To Top