1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A Few Questions About Tires

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Rushbrook, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Feb 8, 2011 at 11:31 AM
    Rushbrook

Rushbrook [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've got a 2007 v6 with 265/70/16's at the moment. I think they're the OE tires, as I bought it with only 28k miles.

Anyway..I'd like to upgrade and get a slightly more aggressive look. I might do some off-roading but it won't be regular. I'm more interested in looks and snow traction.

I've read and read on here, and I think 275 or 285/75's would be what I want. Maybe 70's. I'm guessing I'll have to lift it some, but it would be nice to avoid it if possible. but, I don't want it to looks stupid or rub.

I also have a 35 mile interstate commute one way so ride and gas mileage is important. I need it to ride as close as possible to what it does now, and hopefully not be too much more noisy.

What would be a good setup? Lift or no lift? wheel-well trimming necessary, spacers? And what tire size would be optimal?

An idea look would be something similar to Gusher's (without the plow! LOL), although I think maybe his setup might not be ideal for my commute. something with that kind of stance would be nice though.

thanks!

2. Feb 8, 2011 at 12:06 PM
    Cvd2312

Cvd2312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD OR
    OME 885’s w/NitroCharger’s 3rd Gen Leaf Pack w/Icon Progressive AAL 265/70/17 Falken Wildpeak’s 17x9 Raceline Defender Wheels
    Any time you increase your tire size, you will lose gas mileage. Also, the more aggressive the tread, the worse mileage you will get, for the most part. I'd suggest sticking with an all-terrain tire. In my research, the best looking all-terrains I found were the BFG and the Hankook Dynapro. I went with Hankook because they are ridiculously well-priced and have a 60,000 mile warranty.

As far as the lift, I would guess that if you stepped up to 285's you will have to lift it, at least put a leveling kit. And of course, anytime you lift it, you are adding more stress on parts since you are changing angles on things.

To be honest, if you want to keep good mileage and not spend ridiculous money on the "looks" of your truck, I would just buy a good looking 265/75/16 all-terrain so you don't have to pay hundreds of dollars for a lift that will just wear out your truck faster.

3. Feb 8, 2011 at 12:47 PM
    Trifenix

Trifenix Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    99 LT 5 lug Taco
    x2^ just slightly larger aggressive looking all terrains if you aren't going to wheel much.

4. Feb 8, 2011 at 1:38 PM
    Rushbrook

Member:
    Thanks guys. Very sensible advice..lol As badass as it would look, I really have no interest in stressing things, killing mileage, and so forth. I had a feeling this would be the answer. On a positive note, I can save some money..LOL

So maybe just a slightly taller tire with a tougher tread then?

5. Feb 8, 2011 at 1:57 PM
    Cvd2312

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD OR
    OME 885’s w/NitroCharger’s 3rd Gen Leaf Pack w/Icon Progressive AAL 265/70/17 Falken Wildpeak’s 17x9 Raceline Defender Wheels

I was in the exact same boat when I bought my truck a few months ago. It would be cool to have a sweet looking truck, but I finally decided that paying that much money just for a look wasn't worth it to me. Maybe it is to some people. But in the end, it is just a vehicle and vehicles are terrible investments. I'd rather put my money into other things.

6. Feb 8, 2011 at 1:57 PM
    Rushbrook

Member:
    Which model of Hankook? The ones I've seen are $200. they look good though.

7. Feb 8, 2011 at 3:09 PM
    Cvd2312

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD OR

Hankook DynaPro RF10, 265/75/16. I don't remember the exact price I paid per tire, but I got the whole brand new tire/wheel package for $1,000, installed and everything. Can't beat that.

Products Discussed in

To Top