1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A good deal?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Justaerin, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Aug 9, 2010 at 6:08 PM
    Justaerin

Justaerin [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey everyone, new user here looking to buy my first Tacoma and my first Toyota. I currently own an 07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JK model), 3" RE Express lift, Cragar steel wheels and 35" Trxus MTs. I've been reading the forums and visiting the dealer and doing my test drives like a good potential owner should. Thing is, I'm at a crossroad. New or used. Ideally I'd want a double cab, short bed, manual TRD Sport in black or gray. I plan to lift it and some day maybe rock a SC >:D

There is a used 09 manual TRD Off-Road extended cab in red with $2600 in lift, wheels and tires (based on my own research: Toytec 3-3.5", ballistic offroad Jesters and 33" Cooper STTs). These modifications are EXACTLY what I would have chosen, suprisingly enough. It has 20k miles on it, some water stains on the seats and really musty-smelling interior. They're asking $32k, which is far too expensive in my opinion. Especially considering I could get exactly what I want, plus a thrown-in cat back and CAI for about $31-32k and just lift it myself.

I'd be willing to take the used one if they gave me a screamin deal, but what would you guys say a screamin deal would be? I'd also be trading in my Jeep, which books for refi at $22k, not really sure what I should actually get for it though. I'm not really experienced at all at buying vehicles or wheelin and dealin lol. But like I said, i'd be happy with the used one at the right price...

Then there's the new option, new would only be a few thousand more than what they're asking for the modded used, with full warranty, no water damage, exactly the trim options i want... you get the idea. Basically I am ignorant and inexperienced and looking for the advice of people wiser in these areas. Thanks very much in advance!

Name's Justin, btw. Nice to meet you all!

2. Aug 10, 2010 at 12:34 AM
    Justaerin

Justaerin [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey guys... Sorry, did I post this in the wrong section? Or is this such a newb question that no one wants to answer haha. Either way let me know

3. Aug 10, 2010 at 12:39 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Hey Justin ... what's with the musty smell? That'd worry me. Are the carpets wet under the mats?

4. Aug 10, 2010 at 3:00 AM
    Justaerin

Justaerin [OP] Member

Member:
    I'm not sure, I only got to check it out for a minute... that's the thing though, if it's gnarley under the carpet I'm out. It could have been submerged at some point and that is trouble I don't wanna deal with. If it's just because a ton of people were test driving it and it's wet out, well I can make some allowances. But you'd think that being on a lot for sale it'd be in the best shape it's ever gonna be in, right?

EDIT: Thanks for the response!

5. Aug 10, 2010 at 3:23 AM
    iSTIZO99

iSTIZO99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DC/SB
    They're asking $32k before tax/tag etc.?? Screw that! I'd say they can keep their Taco with the water stained seats and musty smell mod. Mods in general give vehicles a lower chance of resale and the dealer knows this, but the average buyer looks at these as "upgrades". What the dealer is doing here is trying to make more money on top of what the previous owner has already paid for.

Personally I'd trade in your other vehicle for a brand new one with all the options you're looking for, full warranty, and mint condition seats. It also comes with the complimentary NEW CAR smell. And the chance to build your mods the way you want them.

6. Aug 10, 2010 at 4:26 AM
    Tidrow

Tidrow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    PreRunnin' 08
    BHLM, All Black grill, Fog light Mod, AFE pro dry, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Kenwood deck, Bridgestone AT Revo 2
    I have a 4x2 prerunner access cab. I got it with 25k. It smelled like dogs, but I took care of that. It was 16,500 at a local ford dealership.

I know mine is not 4x4, but 16,500 is a good deal, and it taller that alot of 4x4's.

There is some awesome deals on taco's out there just not at the Toyota Dealership.

7. Aug 10, 2010 at 4:46 AM
    zombiekiller

zombiekiller Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dela-where?
    Vehicle:
    '10 doublecab trd
    I would run. I saw the same sort of equipped 1 year old truck in the showroom of a dealer when I bought my taco. It had 4k on it without the stains, ome lift, 33s arb front bumper w/ winch and a few other extras.

I bought a new Trd offroad dc for 28200 out the door instead.

Try using truecar.com.

8. Aug 10, 2010 at 10:33 AM
    Justaerin

Justaerin [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks for the responses everyone. Hah, musty smell mod, that's funny lol. But yeah I think you're all right. My buddy just traded in his 2010 Tundra for a Limited 2010 Tundra, they bought it from him for $29k and are selling it just a few trucks down for $34-35k, so that gives me a good idea what their mark-up is. I think they're banking on the fact that it's a BA-looking truck and that someone will pick it up without much thought. And I won't lie, the idea of financing my upgrades is really tempting (on an off note, would that be at all possible for me on a new vehicle and choosing my own parts?? Thanks!). I'm leaning toward new... It'll be hard at first as far as dropping that initial investment, but I think it'll be worth it...

9. Aug 10, 2010 at 10:49 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Just be careful at dealerships, there's a lot of games they can play. They can lower the cost of their vehicle but rake you over the coals on your trade or give you a crappy interest rate and a long financing term (assuming you'll be financing through them). Just keep track of what kind of deal you're actually getting and how much you're paying. If it were me, I'd go for the new truck with the warranty. I wouldn't touch the other truck if it smells musty. Water can cause a lot of problems for a vehicle. Maybe they just left a window open in the rain, maybe it was flooded, not knowing isn't worth the risk. Plus their asking price is ridiculous.

Good luck!

10. Aug 10, 2010 at 10:53 AM
    kinkrider101

kinkrider101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    santa barbara
    Vehicle:
    2007 cummins/2007 tacoma
    wheels and tires
    is it a 4x4 or prerunner?

11. Aug 10, 2010 at 10:59 AM
    iSTIZO99

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DC/SB
    A new truck could be very well worth not dealing with the headaches of a 2yr old truck that could have had potential flood damage.

As far as financing performance parts, not so sure. You could probably get the Toyota accessories (step bars, bed extender, etc.) rolled into your financing...maybe even a TRD exhaust. But I think I read somewhere that the supercharger can't be financed though. Lift, I highly doubt unless that's something they offer as an add-on at your dealer.

Generally, you would want to finance the least amount of money possible and performance parts aren't worth financing. If you own your Jeep outright and sell it to someone you can always take a portion of those funds and reserve it for some mods on the new truck and throw the other portion as down payment.

12. Aug 10, 2010 at 11:52 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    ask them for the carfax.

and that is crazy money..play it opposite. say the mods are not to your taste but you will endure them..offer them 26k..

maybe trucks are rare in Alaska?

13. Aug 10, 2010 at 12:22 PM
    Justaerin

Justaerin [OP] Member

Member:
    Yeah I'm very suspicious of dealers in general, and the only reason I'm talking to this guy is because another of my friends just bought a Tacoma from him below MSRP with a cat back and remote start thrown in... seemed like a good deal, but I may try to use the USAA Auo Circle, where they basically do all the haggling for you and your whole interface to the car buying experience is through them. I'll do more research though definitely.

Both vehicles are 4x4, Kink.

I was thinking the same things... if I'm going to have this thing for 20 years, buying new now would be the wisest choice. If it was just for a couple of years then I wouldn't care. Unfortunately I don't own my jeep, but you're right that I should be financing the least amount possible, even at USAA's 3.99%... but I'd like to pay for them outright.

i considered dealing with them on that used one, but without the carfax (which I haven't asked them for), the potential risk of the unknown variables are definitely not worth it...

14. Aug 10, 2010 at 2:03 PM
    kulcat

kulcat Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Plano, TX
    I found mine at a ford dealer as well...go figure. :D

15. Aug 10, 2010 at 2:10 PM
    iSTIZO99

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DC/SB
    Yea I would also definitely go the USAA route as well. Hope things work out for you man!

16. Aug 10, 2010 at 3:04 PM
    Justaerin

Justaerin [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks a lot everyone! I may ask some more advice soon haha, and before long hopefully I'll have pics of the new rig up!

Products Discussed in

To Top