1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A holiday message from Ricky Gervais

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Krazie Sj, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Dec 22, 2010 at 3:53 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Posted a year ago or 10 years ago- It is no different from this thread and it goes to directly refute Ridges claim.
    Sorry it's not as current as you'd like- But you put it out there.

2. Dec 22, 2010 at 3:58 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Lost_Humanity Bad decisions make great stories.

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    Why God never got a PhD
    -----------------------

1. He had only one major publication.
    2. It was written in Aramaic, not in English.
    3. It has no references.
    4. It wasn't even published in a referenced journal.
    5. There are serious doubts he wrote it himself.
    6. It may be true that he created the world, but what has he done since
    then?
    7. His cooperative efforts have been quite limited.
    8. The Scientific community has had a hard time replicating his results.
    9. He unlawfully performed not only Animal, but *Human* testing.
    10. When one experiment went awry, he tried to cover it by drowning his
    subjects.
    11. When subjects didn't behave as predicted, he deleted them from
    the sample.
    12. He rarely came to class, just told his students to read the book.
    13. Some say he had his son to teach the class.
    14. He expelled his first two students for learning.
    15. Although there were only 10 requirements, most of his students
    failed his tests.
    16. His office hours were infrequent and usually held on a mountain top

3. Dec 22, 2010 at 4:02 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    Q: What is the biggest problem for an atheist?

A: No one to talk to during an orgasm.

4. Dec 22, 2010 at 4:13 PM
    A_Ninja_Racer

A_Ninja_Racer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD Debadged
    I agree that the subject line could have been worded completely differently and could have been less offensive that way but I'm struck by your final words of the above quote. "Live and let live" When I read the OP. That was they exact message that I got. Live and let live. Now in my comments I here I have not stated which direction I lean towards but you seem to have taken a very agressive stance in your posts on this thread and only seem to confirm why the OP was ever made.

5. Dec 22, 2010 at 4:13 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Nope- But
    is pretty clearly untrue based on your thread....An unsolicited commentary on your/others religious beliefs (or lack thereof) in mixed company- Your post last year is no different that this one this year.

6. Dec 22, 2010 at 4:14 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Sorry I wasn't aware of this one, so I stand corrected.

You are not wrong in saying this thread and Tallyman's thread are the same-sorry Tallyman.
    However-I will rephrase by saying that the vast majority of fights over religion here are provoked by the non believers needling the believers with snide, scarcastic negative garbage-I hadda solicit TCbob once to remove some damn straight up evil mockings and illustrations of Christ that even pissed HIM off-so maybe Christians in here want to be left alone, and maybe guys like krazy won't let that happen. I guess it'll never end. I ask you this-if krazy had not posted this thread at this time, right before the Christmas holiday-but did so in JULY-would it have as much of the impact he so wishes it to have?

7. Dec 22, 2010 at 4:22 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Yeah I take that stance in reaction to the annoyance inflicted by someone who goes out of his way to damn Christian beliefs during Christmas. Yeah we all got to know about krazy and all but the main point is well received. It's the timing. The timing. I rest my case. Merry Christmas all:)

8. Dec 22, 2010 at 4:22 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    Dude, do you even read the other posts in this thread?

Krazie didn't post this in July because it wasn't even PUBLISHED until 4 fucking days ago.

Why did the WSJ publish it then? Probably to get a rise out of people. Or to illustrate someone else's view of the holidays. I dunno I don't work there.

All Krazie did was post a story verbatim which he got from somewhere else. He didn't even offer commentary on it.

Disagreeing is fine. But there's no need to get all worked up about something a guy just shared with the group.

9. Dec 22, 2010 at 4:22 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    I have no idea- I have used "what-if's" in the past- but they don't really help the conversation.
    Much like Christians (and Muslims, and Taoists, and Hindis) want to be able to observe their beliefs without interference- Atheists want to be left alone too. Now I'll admit there are outliers-but that's on both sides (Westboro Baptist Church and whoever the atheists behind the ACLU lawsuit from last year).

In short- Let the loud mouths say what they want and be happy with what you have/do. That's the live and let live thing you were talking about imho. There are always going to be people you disagree with-By tying on an argument with them...That's where the problems start. (and I'll be the first to admit- I'm not perfect and having gotten into it with people over things like this...exactly like this....)

10. Dec 22, 2010 at 4:24 PM
    VooDoo

VooDoo More Cowbell!

Member:
    First Name:
    Carter Ivey
    Baton Rouge, LA/ Starkville, MS
    Vehicle:
    '06 DC LB PreRunner
    hmm what interesting and shallow thoughts. As a well raised Christian I can prove every single one of these wrong.

For example: Darwin went back and proved that evolution is not real. DARWIN. Scientists today are proving it wrong as well.

Please any question and I will answer them...

11. Dec 22, 2010 at 4:26 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Ok....Im down from my coffee high....lets see...where are we....Ah yes....

Ahem....For those of you who are non-Christians, your're going to hell! SO! :brianr:

wait....that wasnt nice of me.......BAH!! IM forgiven!! HA!!!

:brianr:

12. Dec 22, 2010 at 4:27 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    Actually, science cannot PROVE anything. All it can do is eliminate falsities.

13. Dec 22, 2010 at 4:27 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    I don't see proof. I see an unvalidated statement.

14. Dec 22, 2010 at 4:36 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:

I have no idea why you are getting so worked up-I was using "July" as my own example and the article quoted would be non-existant of course, but I ask you again but more specifically-what if it was not posted till July, 2011 or even January 2011. You know what I meant.

15. Dec 22, 2010 at 4:47 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    First -- no, I do not know what you meant, since I am not a mind reader and tone and inflection are extremely difficult to judge in text form.

Second -- Ask the WSJ why they didn't publish it until July or January. Here's why: They asked Ricky Gervais about his thoughts on Christmas and being an atheist. Most likely because Ricky Gervais is a.) quite popular and b.) it's Christmas time.

I'm actually not worked up at all. But the thing that needs to be accepted here is that it wasn't published in July or next January or next July. It was published this week. And Krazie posted it here this week. And that's all there is. Does the timing not jive with you? Obviously. But until you start working as the Editor-in-Chief of the Wall Street Journal, or as a moderator on TacomaWorld.com, I think these matters are out of your hands.

16. Dec 22, 2010 at 4:50 PM
    jodiddly33

jodiddly33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonah
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 Golf TDI
    Source? Reference? Nothing? Uh I'll call that invalid, please move along, NEXT! :D

17. Dec 22, 2010 at 4:50 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    I'm having a beer! Anyone want one?
    [​IMG]

18. Dec 22, 2010 at 4:52 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Yes please!!

19. Dec 22, 2010 at 4:52 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    Oh Sweet Zombie Jesus yes!

20. Dec 22, 2010 at 5:41 PM
    Boring

Boring This space unintentionally left blank.

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    5-lug regular cab
    yarp
    I don't like Ricky Gervais as an actor and I probably wouldn't get along well with him either. I didn't even have the patience to read the whole thing.

I don't know what the original article has to do with Christmas. I think it was more about him being an atheist. The newspaper wanted some ad revenue, so they used a provocative headline. I searched and the word "Christmas" wasn't used in the article.

BUT:
    Everyone drop your togas and get ready for the festivities:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturnalia

Early Christmas like holiday season:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule

The birth of the date used for Christmas?:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dies_Natalis_Solis_Invicti

I seriously thought about buying a Festivus pole this year. I caved and put up my 2 foot tall pre-lit tree. It was the cheaper option. :D
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festivus

I consider Christmas a traditional and not a religious holiday and TOTALLY overdone every year despite the backlash from almost everyone. It will never end. You don't have to be Christian to celebrate or to bash the season.

Products Discussed in

To Top