1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A little rear end advice...

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by scott33, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Dec 18, 2016 at 9:25 AM
    oldracer

oldracer Well-Known Member

Member:

Not so fast.

That appears to be a Timbren,
    https://www.suspensionconnection.com/timbren-kits.html?gclid=CPj95Oyd_tACFZlMDQodCkEBYQ

I have used them and they are not a lift block; they are a suspension overload helper.

If adjusted properly they provide zero lift, with an empty cargo bed; if adjusted wrongly them of course they will provide lift, but with a harsh ride.

Have used them on Tacoma's and Tundra's; with great results; if adjusted properly. Have a set on a Tundra right now and there is a gap varies with model) between the spring and bumper when at truck is unloaded.

On the Tacoma's even adjusted properly the block's effect may be felt with no load.

But on a Tundra, I have a set in right now and you can't tell if they are there. Just picked up a ATV with a lot of heavy parts; and the ride home was normal; with no spring sag. Normal height

The Tacoma's are lighter and a little more bouncy; so the spring may touch the bumper block, unloaded even adjusted properly; if you hit a rough road. Tundra no problem.

The block should not be touching the spring or frame, depends on model,; when the truck is not loaded. Possibly the rear spring is so weak it is sagging down to the Timben.

This applies only to the pic of the rear spring, you have other things going on in the front.

oldracer

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  2. Dec 18, 2016 at 9:33 AM
    devinzz1

devinzz1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    devin
    lewisporte Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    95 extended cab sr5
    cxr turbo, fic6, methanol injection, king coilovers, jba uca, skyjacker leafs, rear 12" 5125s, no-slip rear locker, 35" grabber x3, magnaflow muffler, retrofit headlights, trans cooler, bed lined exterior, etc...
    look at pic again...

3. Dec 18, 2016 at 9:39 AM
    Pushincaskets

Pushincaskets Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner DCSB
    4" Maxtrac Spindles, Dakars and extra leaf, SOS Concepts bed rack, Lund tonneau cover, RTT,
    Yeah look again UNDER the Leaf, that is the block I am referring to and it is not stock. The OP says he wants to go back to stock height therefore that comes out.

4. Dec 18, 2016 at 10:31 AM
    Clay_916

Clay_916 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2000 x-cab 4x4
    5100's, All Pro 3" Standard leafs, 32" KM 2's
    Pretty sure you'll have to pull those timbrens out in order to use a stock leaf. I'd go with dakars. 2" lift and way more burly than stock. Those Timbrens are like $120 and pretty bad ass from what I hear so I'd definitely keep them.

And I have to lol at that picture. The leafs are acting as a 2 link system and the timbrens are the springs :rofl:.

5. Dec 18, 2016 at 2:10 PM
    mechanicjon

mechanicjon They call me "Jonny Stubs"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco SC 4dr SR5 TRD Prerunner
    Supercharged, AEM FIC/6, Meth Inj, ION Alloy's, Radio & Phone steering Wheel controls,Fabtech AAL, Billie's wrapped with 880's , Tundra big brake conversion, bully bars and Pioneer DDin Stereo/dvd with exterrnal usb ports. 290K and going strong.
    just bag it.

6. Dec 31, 2016 at 5:03 PM
    Thad

Thad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thad
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma
    Hey, I will buy those off ya if yer not gonna use em. The Timbrens that is..

7. Dec 31, 2016 at 5:16 PM
    scott33

scott33 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    1999 Supercharged Tacoma
    I'll keep that in mind. I have some OEM bump stops I was planning on putting on when I get the new springs.

Products Discussed in

To Top