1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A little wiring help..

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Paczowski123, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Oct 27, 2011 at 9:00 PM
    TIPICOTACO

TIPICOTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    nw nj
    Vehicle:
    '01 DC 4X4 TRD "RAD BARON"
    Some lift, some armor, some scratches..
  2. Oct 27, 2011 at 9:03 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    fuse size and wire size are dependent upon how many amps yours lights will draw. fuse block is great i have one and i have never regretted it.

3. Oct 28, 2011 at 6:37 AM
    TIPICOTACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    nw nj
    Vehicle:
    missed your post last night..

nothing is installed yet. I'm planning it all out before I start running the wires and have read a ton of threads on the subject. You guys have been extremely helpful thus far w/ tha planning!!

So really I have a fresh slate and just want to know exactly how it should be wired so I do it right the first time.

I think it is in my best interest to install an aux fuse block because I have bed lights, fog lights, and I'm sure more accessories to come Furthur in the future (bumper winch, air compressor, Hellas, etc)

My plan, for starters, is to install 2 aux lights (no more than 55w) below the bumper that work when in reverse as well as off of a switch (actually 2 switches) so def will be using a relay (mayb 2 now??)

4. Oct 28, 2011 at 7:48 AM
    TIPICOTACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    nw nj
    Vehicle:
  5. Oct 28, 2011 at 5:59 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    The wiring on the lights is a little more complicated than I am used to doing. It's definitely possible, but I would have to sit down and draw it out. If someone else does not beat me to it, I will do it when I get a moment of boredom.:) My problem is I don't draw on the internet, only on paper. :(

6. Oct 28, 2011 at 6:03 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    The main thing is you want a fuse block with a single input and multiple outputs. Some of them require an input for each fuse. That gets kind of messy and seems like it's not really much different than a bunch of inline fuse holders would be. Not sure about the one you've posted, there are plenty of threads on here about aux wiring. Someone has done it.

So far on my current truck I only have one added circuit that runs off the battery. So I haven't done a block yet. I have used the cheap ones from the autozone in the past, and they have worked fine for my purposes. I am not the kind to bury my truck in a mud hole or anything like that. The one you posted looks better for wet environments.

7. Oct 28, 2011 at 6:13 PM
    Scooter

Scooter Canadian Member

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD Sport Short Box
    Pop n Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, Factory DLR installed, Defrost with A/C Off, EZ Down Tailgate Damper, Code Alarm Security System with Remote Starter, Rear Spring TSB, Ming rust proofing & paint treatment, 3M fabric protector, Cargo Mat, Scanguage II, DYI Illuminated 4X4 Switch, Versa-Gate box extender & cargo divider, Toyota Roof Rails, Grom USB Audio adapter with bluetooth, LED Bed lights, OEM Backup Camera with LCD Display Mirror
  8. Oct 28, 2011 at 7:46 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    Okay, here is how I would do it. Standard disclaimer applies, of course. I have not actually done this yet and invite others to check my design before anyone tries it on their vehicle at their own risk.:D

Step 1: Wire your lights up using a relay like in post 17 of this thread:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/103969-electronics-basics-reference.html

Only don't use a switch, just hook the relay's terminal 86 to your factory reverse light circuit. Also, two 55W lights should be fused at 15 amps. That thread also has info on wiring a fuse sizes for you to reference.

Step 2: Then, wire up your two SPDT toggle switches like the OP is doing for his bed lights. Instead of using the output from these two switches to directly power your lights, you will use it to trigger a second relay.

Step 3: Get yourself a second relay. Make sure that it has a total of five terminals. 85,86,30,87,87a . That "a" is very important. That means the center terminal 87a is normally connected to terminal 30 when the relay's control circuit is NOT energized. These are commonly used in alarm installs and a stereo shop should have them. Many of the common relays in the auto parts stores have two "87" terminals linked together. That will not work for this second relay, although it would be fine for the first one. If the guys at the store know what they are talking about, they will call this a SPDT relay. They will not necessarily know what they are talking about. :rolleyes:

Step 4: Take this second relay and wire it as follows:

Disconnect the wire from the first relay that leads to terminal 86 (factory reverse light circuit). Connect it to the second relay's 87a terminal. Then run a wire from the second relay's 30 terminal to the first relay's 86 terminal. Then connect the second relay's 87 terminal to a constant 12V. You can use the wire that is already connected to the first relay's 30 terminal. Ground the second relay's 85 terminal. Connect the output wire coming from the second SPDT switch that you wired already in step two to the second relay's 86 terminal.

What you are doing is powering the lights through the first relay whenever the truck is in reverse and the two SPDT switches are set to positions that would turn the lights off if wired the way the OP in this thread was wanting his to work. (makes sense I hope) Then, when you flip either SPDT switch you turn on the second relay. The second relay switches the control signal going to the first relay from the reverse light circuit to constant battery power. Flipping either switch again should turn off the lights.

Again, someone double check my work please and simplify if possible.:D

9. Oct 28, 2011 at 8:07 PM
    2000GTacoma

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    maybe just a single relay with the wire from the 2 spdt switches running the the same terminal as the reverse light trigger? why wouldnt that work? not meaning to sound like a dick just discussing here

10. Oct 28, 2011 at 8:12 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    You're right, it would work. Think he would need a diode in there somewhere to avoid triggering the factory reverse lights with the manual switches.

Edit: I read your post wrong the first time and had to go back and edit my response.

I have never been good with diodes. Tried using them one time and I think I bought the wrong ones, didn't work. Haven't used them since.

11. Oct 28, 2011 at 8:17 PM
    2000GTacoma

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    run the lights through the relay but have 2 sources to trigger that said relay. meaning if reverse lights are on that triggers relay but if op is out of truck in netural and flips 1 of 2 spdt switches it also triggers the relay. only heavy wiring would be the main power. even if the switch is flipped and the reverse lights are own 12 volts hitting 12 volts wont cause a problem that i am aware of.

12. Oct 28, 2011 at 8:19 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    I went back and edited my response. Read your post wrong the first time.:rolleyes:

13. Oct 28, 2011 at 8:22 PM
    2000GTacoma

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    dont think diodes would be needed either.

14. Oct 28, 2011 at 8:24 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    Without a diode, the factory reverse lights would come on when the manual switches were used.

I guess that's not a problem, unless there is a short and something isn't adequately fused in that scenario.

15. Oct 28, 2011 at 8:30 PM
    2000GTacoma

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    if a diode was put inline with the switches when the switches are flipped wouldnt do anything

16. Oct 28, 2011 at 8:35 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    Okay, so if we use one relay wired to power the new set of lights, and we connect two wires to that relay's control circuit at the same time, then those two circuits are connected.

Turn the truck off and leave it in nuetral, there is no power being sent to the factory reverse light circuit and to the relay control circuit. Now flip one of the two switches and power goes to the relay coil AND backfeeds into the factory reverse light wire.

Put a diode inline with the factory reverse light wire at the relay, and now power from the manual switches will still turn on the relay, but won't travel up the factory reverse light wire and power the factory lights.

17. Oct 28, 2011 at 8:36 PM
    2000GTacoma

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    ahhh you are correct there

18. Oct 28, 2011 at 8:37 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    I wish I could draw.

19. Oct 28, 2011 at 8:42 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    So, the easiest thing for Tipicotaco to do would be to do this:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/103969-electronics-basics-reference.html (post 17)

Connect terminal 86 to the factory reverse light circuit with no switch inline.

Then wire the two SPDT switches we have discussed and attach the output from that to the same 86 terminal.

And put a diode inline with the wire tapped off of the factory reverse lights.

Sound good?

I don't want Tipicotaco to hurt that pretty red double cab he has.:D

20. Oct 28, 2011 at 8:50 PM
    2000GTacoma

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    thats what im thinking bud

Products Discussed in

To Top