1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A new owner!.... again!!! few quick questions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by boostfed, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Jun 27, 2011 at 1:21 AM
    boostfed

boostfed [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    STOCK!
    hello all,

to make a long story short, my very first car was a 96 4cyl 5 lug taco (1st owner), i beat it up ( first car, heh) and moved on to the next. fast forward 9 years and here i am re-inhereting the very same truck i first graced! it is now putting along with 295k on the clock and still going strong. i've since had many cars and looking to spruce this one back up a bit, its definitely showing its usage, the paint is starting to go and the frame has quite a bit of rust so it'll be some work. My plans are to repaint the car, fix the CEL (intake temp sensor i think) , and lift the truck.

i'm planning on going with the fabtech spindles and some rear shackles (maybe fabtech as well IF I CAN FIND THEM ANYWHERE??) , can anyone recommend replacement shocks for the front and rear with this setup? there's some bilsteins on craigslist i was looking at ( http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pts/2458207052.html ) but not sure if theyll work. also should the leafs be replaced as well?

i'm looking for a comfortable ride, unfortunately rims and tires will have to come later (it'll sit on the stock 5 luggers for now :( ) but if anyone has any suggestions please let me know! i've done quite a bit of research but havne't ran into much... its either that or i'm just tired from the long journey home , heh, thanks!

2. Jun 27, 2011 at 2:40 AM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    Take it to a toyota dealer to have the frame checked. There is a tsb for the frame and they might replace it, buy the truck from you, or undercoat it.

3. Jun 27, 2011 at 3:33 PM
    boostfed

boostfed [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    STOCK!
    gave them a call and they'll have a tech call me soon, the customer service lady asked if the frame was rusted through but im not sure if thats a requirement, the frames not rusted through but alot of the components under there are, we'll see what they say.

so i think i have it narrowed down to 2 kits (so far)

first is this fabtech coilover http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kit...c=1&t_s=38&t_pt=5491&t_pl=1906&t_pn=FABKIT608 , haven't seen any reviews on this for my application but it looks complete and it comes with front coilovers which is cool, not sure about having my front tires stick out because of the spindles though

and fatbob's http://store.fatbobsgarage.com/_toyota-tacoma-3-pro-deluxe-lift-kit-1995-2004-p4017.aspx , spacers but i'll have to invest in new front coils and shocks.

any ideas? im leaning towards the fabtech since its more complete and comes with coils, and i'll most likely be running some bushwacker OE style fenders (not sure if it'll cover the whole tire though)

To Top