1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A note to our "younger" members (And everyone else too)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Konaborne, May 15, 2012.

1. May 15, 2012 at 1:19 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne [OP] Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    Aloha all

It's that time of year, when college kids finally get back home and all those high schoolers are finally graduating.

With the return of the college frosh, eager to party home, and the seniors that are ready to celebrate, the roads tend to be more dangerous. Grad parties + inexperience = greater negative potential.

If you're one of those high schoolers/college students, please be safe with your celebrations. Underage drinking is illegal, we all know this. If you're at a party with some sort of alcohol present make sure that nobody that drinks is allowed to drive.

"blah blah blah I'm good to go!" "I've done this before, don't worry"
    BS. Do not allow them to drive, and do not drive yourself. Find someone 100% sober to drive you.
    We've all heard the speeches from our teachers and our parents, but let me tell you.
    Going to the funeral of your friends is worse than you can possibly imagine.

And to everyone else that's in the vicinity of local high schools, be careful! There's always those few that let hormones and teenage naivete/stupidity go to their heads.

I write this because I've lost way too many friends around graduation/beginning of summer. If only one graduating member of TW reads this and it makes an impression, it was worth writing.

Last year two guys that I had gone to school with since elementary decided to drive home drunk and spun off a wet road, both died at the hospital hours later. They stayed alive just long enough for their parents and friends to make it to the hospital before they passed away.

This was the night of graduation.

A few days later, a truck full of kids going to see a late-night movie was hit head-on by a drunken partier trying to get home before his curfew. Both drivers were killed instantly, and the rest of my friends were hospitalized for weeks.

I know I'm not always the most serious guy on TW, but I just want to put out this friendly neighborhood reminder out to everyone that's going to be out and about the next few weeks.

Drunk driving isn't worth the risks, I know the LEOs on here have their stories as well.
    Avoiding roads around high-school parties has its value as well.

PapaBear and Blais03 like this.
  2. May 15, 2012 at 1:21 PM
    Nunavut

Nunavut Eh oh, Canada go.

Member:
    Canada
  3. May 15, 2012 at 1:26 PM
    TacoLife08

TacoLife08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner TRD Rugged Trail SR5
    Camburg 4' Spindles, top plate spacers, 2" AAL, 285/75R/16 Terra Grapplers, Tinted Windows, Black Riveted Grille, Black Spyder Halo Healights/Tailights, FlowMaster 40 Exhaust, NFab Side Steps, Blacked out Skid Plate.
    I feel like I hear this all the time, but being in the military i have seen these things happen first hand all to often with returning from deployments, advancing in rank, etc. Dont just read this! Listen to it and pass it along to friends/family/loved ones and anyone seen fit to hear it.
    Great Post Konaborne.

4. May 15, 2012 at 1:31 PM
    MasterOPudding

MasterOPudding Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 TRD Off-Road 2WD
    6" pro comp 35" nitto terra grapplers 2 10" kickers 600 watt amp XD 18" wheels undercover bed cover kenwood touchscreen radio Aero turbine 2525 muffler Future still researching them PA system Train horn Air intake front and rear bumper
    thanks for the words. we had a varsity basketball player at my high school die this year and a few others in the school district.

5. May 15, 2012 at 1:34 PM
    eagle5521

eagle5521 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    `11 PreRunner DCSB TX
    To many to speak of, from personal life and work. There is no excuse for drinking and driving.

6. May 15, 2012 at 2:00 PM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    Thanks for this Kona. Friend of mine was out celebrating his birthday, the girl driving was drunk. Passed a slower vehicle on a blind hill/double yellow. Head-on collision with oncoming traffic at 65mph (that's a combined 130 mph, if you're keeping score at home). 5 of the 6 people in that accident did not survive, and my friend- who lived- still has nightmares years later; he's never been the same. Don't do that to yourself or your friends.

7. May 15, 2012 at 2:01 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    x2

8. May 15, 2012 at 2:10 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    Very well said my friend! I am not a partier or a drinker, but there are so many of those types in my college it is ridiculous. Me I am not a nerd or a bookworm, but am very serious about my studies and getting into the career I want, that is all that matters to me in college, partying can come later. I am glad I got done with finals early and got home before all the other kids got on the road, some of those kids should not be driving at all.

9. May 15, 2012 at 2:14 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    I vote new addition to TWTOLTH

10. May 15, 2012 at 2:16 PM
    InfamousTonyTaco7714

InfamousTonyTaco7714 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Wilkes, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 DCSB 4x4 Timberland Mica
    Borla Catback, 6 inch Pro Comp Stage 1 17x9 Matte Black XD Revolvers, 285/70/17 Radar Renegade R7, Pioneer Double Din, Iron Cross Side Steps, Tactical Armor Group Front Bumper, ARE MX series camper shell, Geared 4.10
    I had a friend who was with us one night(he is over 21) and passed out drunk and then woke up and got scared because he didnt recognize his surroundings(couldnt even walk he was so drunk) and thought is was a good idea to drive home...he did make it home and then decided he was to go do donuts in his field down the road...did that and was back on his was home, spun out and totaled his truck and my friend in the passenger seats head almost went through the windshield. Both walked away with minor injuries and now when they drink they wont even have their car anywhere near the place they are drinking at. This happening to my friends really sparked a lot with people at my high school. A few of my friends used to use the "im ok, ive done this plenty of times" excuse. Now there isnt any of my friends that will drink and drive and it really changed outlooks on it seeing that my 2 friends could have easily been dead. I'll be graduating high school the 26th and i hope that all graduates will know to be smart enough not to drink and drive.

11. May 15, 2012 at 2:18 PM
    11TRD

11TRD MERICA

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SPORT 4X4 DC
    Cobra 29 WXNWBT, Devil Horns, ARB Bumper, Avid Stepbars, Homer Taco Satoshi thin lip grille, ICON UCA's, ICON EXT Travel up front with King 700# springs, Dakar heavy springs, sumo bump stops, with ICON VS 2.0 shocks in the rear, K&N Drop In, AVS Ventshades and Bugflector, Whelen SPS 660 emergency strobes, Redline Hood struts and tailgate EZdown, Illuminated 4X4 Switch, TRD Floor mats, Flyzeye LED lighting, Kragen 7" HID behind grille, Kragen 4" HID back up lights, Rigid SR Series 10" LEDx2 Elusive elements Lightbar, Firestik antenna, Rear Diff breather mod, Fogs anytime, Hitch Safe, OEM door sill strips, mryo mirror relocate bracket, Prinsu designs roof rack, Tepui Autana RTT, ARB Awning,Engo 10k winch synthetic, Blue seas fuse block and breaker, ARE Topper
    The Navy just conducted a standown training and we had to watch this video. Very graphic and will make you think twice about how you drive.

http://youtu.be/_4496EI6iYM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_4496EI6iYM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. May 15, 2012 at 2:18 PM
    Jdaniel1274

Jdaniel1274 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    01 DC TRD 4X4
    PIAA lights, OMD leaf spring mod, magna flow muffler, oil filter relocation kit
    VERY GOOD ADVICE! ALL YOU MILITARY PEOPLE ON LEAVE NEED TO HEED THIS ADVICE TOO, WE HAD FOUR YOUNG MARINES DIE IN A CAR CRASH BECAUSE OF A ALCOHOL RELATED CRASH! CALL A CAB!

13. May 15, 2012 at 2:20 PM
    Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    :thumbsup:

14. May 15, 2012 at 3:16 PM
    Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road

ugh, had to watch that before too

crazy stuff

15. May 15, 2012 at 3:20 PM
    707tothe907

707tothe907 Superior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Chico NorCal
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Off Road
    I had a friend of mine die in an alcohol related off roading incident. That kind of stuff kills them, but scars us for years.

Good post Kona, thanks for the reminder too all willing to read.

16. May 15, 2012 at 3:26 PM
    Konaborne

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    this applies to you too :thumbsup:

17. May 15, 2012 at 3:28 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Note to returning college freshmen: Now is a golden time to try and tap some of that high school senior ass.

They're liquored up and now you're a college guy. Get on it.

18. May 15, 2012 at 3:33 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    :rofl:

19. May 15, 2012 at 3:37 PM
    blitton08

blitton08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 XSP White 4D 2WD
    Maxtrac Spindles, Bilstein 5100s set 0 in front with Eibach Springs, 2.5" block in rear with OME Dakar Leaf Springs
    Keep yourself and the Taco safe, dont drink and drive! Just pass out where you drop!,

20. May 15, 2012 at 3:46 PM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    One thing that needs to be mentioned also is the repercussions of drinking and driving..

My best friend friend was busted at 18, so now 6 years later, it has cost him in cash 46,000$ in fines and lawyer and insurance costs. Lost licence for 3 months initially and another year after found guilty. DUI's in Canada are also Federal Criminal charges, meaning its a life time criminal record too.

Products Discussed in

To Top