1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A Retro Project for Greg - Red Eye

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Muy Grande, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Dec 3, 2011 at 7:13 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    the H1 is significantly better projector than the d2s.

not trying to knock the retro here i have been trying to spread the word of the difference between the 2 for awhile now and people don't seem to listen lol.

i have run 2 sets of mini d2s myself and came away completely unimpressed the H1 on the other hand looks very similar to the fx-r and almost as colorful when modded.

2. Dec 3, 2011 at 7:27 PM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    Nice work John!

3. Dec 3, 2011 at 7:50 PM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    SOOOOOO sexy!

4. Dec 3, 2011 at 9:00 PM
    t4daddy

t4daddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner Double Cab
    Maybe cause the guys at The Retrofit Source don't necessarily agree.

This straight from The RetroFit Source:

"Very similar in terms of performance to the Mini H1, the Mini D2S has a more even spread of light, and a nicely defined table-top high beam pattern similar to the OEM Hella E55 Bi-xenon. With their pre-installed clear lenses– they produce a very sharp and attractive cutoff line with a vibrant band of colorful light across the top."

5. Dec 3, 2011 at 9:20 PM
    TacomaPrime

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    I'm perfectly with john using the d2s on my retrofit. I've seen pics of the light output and they are amazing.

6. Dec 3, 2011 at 9:58 PM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    Dam that looks tight

7. Dec 4, 2011 at 6:35 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    idk what the guy's at trs say i have seen and ran both on my truck and the H1 is way more low beam than the d2s no shit. to illustrate my point further i have provided a linky.

http://jvxdriver.com/Mini H1 vs. Oem TL with Clear Lens.htm

this is the mini H1 vs. the acura TL projector this is one of the best bi-xenons available and the mini hold it's ground very well look up some wall shots of a d2 and then i'll be waiting for an apology.

like i said i was just dropping the 411 on you guy's trs sells projectors they don't really retrofit them. i have done at least 7 sets of all different types on my truck so far. plus recently i have gotten to know bjorn from customlightz.com very well.

if i was not absolutely positive about this i wouldn't say it.

edit: on a side note to achieve a lot of color in the cut off like seen in the pictures or even more with out taking away from the sharpness there are a few mods one needs to do to the H1 other than that it's general characteristics and performance are superior to the d2 in every way. the only down side is you cannot run a d2s bulb with the projector unless you seriously modified its base but, never tried that one.

the reason that is a negative when compared to the d2 is that you can't run a "premium" phillips bulb or osrams. i'm sure a d2 could be modified a quick look on hid planet could tell you if anyone else has tried this.

8. Dec 4, 2011 at 6:54 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500

the d2's have almost no color in the cutoff i had three sets on my truck in the last year. the fx-r has the most color of any bi-xenon projector available i'll post up a few pictures to illustrate my point.

the 2 attached files are of a d2s set up i had on my truck. the link is for my fx-r retro. lol all of the d2's i had had almost zero color just the smallest amount to be recognized. the fx-rs on the other hand color all over the place!

http://customlightz.com/?p=p_268&sName=hans

and once again i don't claim to be the authority on the subject but, i do have a very good base of knowledge to draw from seeing as how i have had almost every set-up worth having on my truck at one point or another.

156050_177480278945142_100000495141273_575324_494405_n.jpg
    148323_177479632278540_100000495141273_575322_5992903_n.jpg

9. Dec 4, 2011 at 7:21 AM
    TacomaPrime

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    I'm not looking for color on the cutoff line, I'm looking for quality light output. Again, I trust johns judgement.

10. Dec 4, 2011 at 7:25 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    how about intensity in the spread of the beam or the width of the beam a set of d2's will light up maybe 4 lanes while a mini H1 will do 6 or 7 lanes across. as seen in the photo comparison between the Tl.

fyi the best bi-xenon projectors you could buy are the LS 460 the fx-r or the TL period if the H1 keeps it's wn against the TL how is your argument valid?

i think grande did a great job with the retrofit and i was not trying to knock it in any way but for those of us that have done a ton of these retro's it would be silly not to listen to an opinion on the matter.

as a matter of fact i would ask you to call any professional retrofitter and ask them what projector would give a performance edge in terms of lighting the d2s or the H1. if your not interested in color even though color in the cut off is part of the overall performance of the projector it contributes to the color flicker other cars see when your driving. i also posted those pictures to illustrate the point that just because andrew or matt or nate at trs say something that does not mean it is in fact 100% accurate. as i said all the guy's at trs are great but, they sell them they don't professionally retrofit them into headlights.

this is my last attempt to give you guy's a heads up on the short comings of some projectors i was not trying to get into a pissing contest just dropping facts.
    __:facepalm:

11. Dec 4, 2011 at 7:26 AM
    TacomaPrime

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Here's an idea, let keep this thread for john to update pics of my build, not argue that one thing is better then another. Start another thread if you want to do that.

12. Dec 4, 2011 at 7:45 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    agreed.

your awesome, i'm out good luck with things :)

13. Dec 4, 2011 at 7:50 AM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    this ^^^^^^
    there are tons of threads about lights, why pick this one to shit on. I think that you have valid points but no reason to advertise here.
    dick

14. Dec 4, 2011 at 8:12 AM
    TacomaPrime

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    I am awesome! thank you. :D

Meh. I dont worry about it. It's like every other part people modify on their trucks. Some will like it, some wont. Someone will say this is better, some will say that is better. I am going with what I think is best for me and my application.

15. Dec 4, 2011 at 9:05 PM
    Cortland

Cortland THIS IS AMERICA!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cortland
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Clifford aka Big Red
    Camburg 4" Spindles, 5100's All Around, All-Pro 1.5" Leaf Pack, All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit, Avid Sliders, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Wicked Flow 18" Muffler
    those look great!

16. Dec 5, 2011 at 10:00 PM
    Muy Grande

Muy Grande [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Dallas, TX; RGV, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    Suspension: DHoes up front, Dakar and OME out back. Audio: Alpine w205 w/ pair of Alpine Amps, Image Dynamic 6.5 Component Speakers up front and Image Dynamic Subs in the Back. Armor: ARB Bull Bar, Rocktek rear bumper and custom rock sliders. Other: Rigid Industries LED Light Bar, Platinum DieHard Battery, BlueSea Fuse Block, rear lights, bed lights, leds inside.
    Alignment done and it looks good. No pics because I aligned them at work in the garage and it was about 40 degrees outside. Next step is to slap them together....hope to work on them tomorrow night. :D

17. Dec 6, 2011 at 4:56 AM
    TacomaPrime

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:

:yay::woot::bowdown:

18. Dec 6, 2011 at 9:55 PM
    Muy Grande

Muy Grande [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Dallas, TX; RGV, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    Suspension: DHoes up front, Dakar and OME out back. Audio: Alpine w205 w/ pair of Alpine Amps, Image Dynamic 6.5 Component Speakers up front and Image Dynamic Subs in the Back. Armor: ARB Bull Bar, Rocktek rear bumper and custom rock sliders. Other: Rigid Industries LED Light Bar, Platinum DieHard Battery, BlueSea Fuse Block, rear lights, bed lights, leds inside.
    So tonight I went ahead and assembled the headlights. I literally put both pieces together, slapped some silicone and are leaving them overnight to cure. It's about 35 degrees outside so hopefully this doesn't affect them. I'll do the alignment and take some shots and the car wash test in the next few days. On to the pics.......:D

Pass Side Done.jpg
    Drivers Side Done.jpg
    DR Side 2.jpg
    Both Done.jpg
    Done 2.jpg

19. Dec 6, 2011 at 10:28 PM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    That's awesome. I'd Like to get projector headlights in the near future, and color matching the rings would be cool.

20. Dec 7, 2011 at 5:21 AM
    TacomaPrime

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Oh man those look awesome!!!
    Can't wait to see some output shots.

Products Discussed in

To Top