1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A Retro Project for Greg - Red Eye

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Muy Grande, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Jan 26, 2012 at 7:52 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Can't tell if if makes the truck look mad or drunk, lol. Does look good tho.

2. Jan 26, 2012 at 9:29 AM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    No. You replace the bulb the same way you do the factory bulb.

3. Jan 26, 2012 at 3:30 PM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    hey greg, where you located in illinois? one of only a few illinoisans here.

4. Jan 26, 2012 at 3:58 PM
    TacomaPrime

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    i'm in Loves Park. its just above Rockford, which is about an hour west of Chicago.

5. Jan 27, 2012 at 4:24 AM
    sofiasdad11

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    ok, i'm in st. charles, guesstimating about 1 1/2 hours from you. but the garage is heated:rolleyes: looking forward to seeing 'em installed. btw, good-looking job muy grande:thumbsup:

6. Jan 28, 2012 at 4:18 PM
    TacomaPrime

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Lights are being installed tomorrow. Pics to come!

7. Jan 28, 2012 at 4:36 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAMF! Great job...wish you lived closer I'd have you trick mine out lol.

8. Jan 29, 2012 at 10:30 AM
    Cortland

Cortland THIS IS AMERICA!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cortland
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Clifford aka Big Red
    Camburg 4" Spindles, 5100's All Around, All-Pro 1.5" Leaf Pack, All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit, Avid Sliders, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Wicked Flow 18" Muffler
    x2

9. Jan 29, 2012 at 4:47 PM
    TacomaPrime

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Well, got em installed today and they look awesome. Except the high beams dont work. When I turn the high beams on, they turn on and immediately turn off. The low beams stay on, but not the high beams. I tried all the suggestions on trs, but to no avail.

10. Jan 29, 2012 at 5:42 PM
    TacomaPrime

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
  11. Jan 30, 2012 at 6:28 AM
    TacomaPrime

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    anybody got an idea what's causing this? John sent me a new wiring harness, hopefully that fixes it.

12. Jan 30, 2012 at 6:35 AM
    i2andom81

i2andom81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    08 black prerunner
    Fox coilovers and resi rears, 20% tint, wet okole trd seat covers, LCE engineering headers, custom magnaflow exhaust, afe cai, satoshi grill, URD supercharger, retrofitted headlights, weather tech mats, standard duty leafs, allpro front bumper and uca
    The highbeams went out on me also while installing my retros. Try look in the fuse box and replace the burnt out fuse. If you install without disconnecting the battery sometimes you will blow the high beam fuse. Hope this helps! and good luck!

13. Jan 30, 2012 at 6:45 AM
    TacomaPrime

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    I've already checked both high beam and low beam fuses and none of them are burnt out. I even tried some 15 amp fuses and nothing. The 20 amp inline fuse on the power wire is also not burnt out.

14. Jan 30, 2012 at 8:41 AM
    i2andom81

i2andom81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    08 black prerunner
    Fox coilovers and resi rears, 20% tint, wet okole trd seat covers, LCE engineering headers, custom magnaflow exhaust, afe cai, satoshi grill, URD supercharger, retrofitted headlights, weather tech mats, standard duty leafs, allpro front bumper and uca

Hmmmm I was hoping that would be the fix. Maybe the wiring is off for the highbeams or a wire is loose. Sorry I wasnt much help. Hope someone can help you out on here...

15. Jan 30, 2012 at 8:47 AM
    TacomaPrime

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    I just wanted to add that John has been AWESOME in helping me figure this out so far.
    He's sending me a new harness to see if that's the issue.

16. Jan 30, 2012 at 8:49 AM
    TacomaPrime

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Here's a pic of them on.
    [​IMG]

I have a homertaco colormatched grill coming at some point to get rid of the chrome grill.
    I'm loving the look of them so far too. I have to adjust them down a little and to the right on the drivers side, but other then that they are looking great.

17. Jan 30, 2012 at 4:56 PM
    sofiasdad11

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    hey greg, did john say wether or not the highbeams worked for him? just wondering. they do look damn good though. good luck...........

18. Jan 30, 2012 at 5:41 PM
    TacomaPrime

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    yeah, he said that they worked for him. tonight I put my factory bulb in and turned the high beams on, and the HID's did the same thing, but the factory high beam turned on.
    But ive run into multiple issues with these so I am going to go back to stock for now, cause Its my only vehicle and I can't have headlights that I have to worry about all the time. Problems like adjustment not working on one side, and condensation in them now.

19. Jan 30, 2012 at 7:41 PM
    Muy Grande

Muy Grande [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Dallas, TX; RGV, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    Suspension: DHoes up front, Dakar and OME out back. Audio: Alpine w205 w/ pair of Alpine Amps, Image Dynamic 6.5 Component Speakers up front and Image Dynamic Subs in the Back. Armor: ARB Bull Bar, Rocktek rear bumper and custom rock sliders. Other: Rigid Industries LED Light Bar, Platinum DieHard Battery, BlueSea Fuse Block, rear lights, bed lights, leds inside.
    Unfortunately, the headlights have more issues than I could have imaged. :(

1. The high beams dont work - did work when I tested them (possible harness issue).
    2. Have condensation on the bottom corner - did not get it when I went through a drive thru car wash. (At this point, I don't know I sealed and resealed these and still get a little condenstation probably spent about $30 just on supplies for the seal - will need to be re-sealed to eliminate any possible condensation
    3. Drivers side inner/outer screw not working - very possible that the upper bottom screw has been maxed and will cause the other screws to not move.......in the past I have noticed that both screws have to be adjusted at minimums and at the same time.....this goes for removal also you can't just try to remove one screw and then the other because it will be almost impossible to remove the bowl....I would assume this may be the issue here with the adjust but this probably doesn't really matter because the other side adjusted just fine so it's very possible the small plastic screw piece is striped.

So in the end, this promising project turned out to be more of a hassle for both me and Greg. We'll work something out here soon but for those of you following the thread......"Sorry".......sometimes these things happen. It's like I told Greg, not here to try and make a quick buck just trying to help out some fellow TW members unfortunately this didnt turn out how we planned.

20. Jan 30, 2012 at 7:46 PM
    ppham444

ppham444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phuong
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2023 White TRD Off-Road doublecab

Products Discussed in

To Top