1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A-trac Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Selecta, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Sep 22, 2010 at 2:38 PM
    Selecta

Selecta [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodent
    Kona
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Off Road White
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEvz1GjI0Zg

I'm from the Big Island of Hawaii and just bought a new 2010 TRD off road DC and trying out some new buttons that came with it...the A-trac works good for alot of awkward rock climbing angles we have to crawl over to get to the beach but so i'm stoked I was just wondering when A-trac engages. In the video it seems a little jerky to me..maybe I should be easing on the pedal a little more through these situations.

Just wanted to introduce myself ask a quick question and say this site is golden...Aloha-

2. Sep 22, 2010 at 2:39 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 mod status????

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    :wave: Glad you could make it.

3. Sep 22, 2010 at 4:22 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Marcos, Alta California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 2 Hella 4000 HID, 1 Cibie Halogen. Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Hi Selecta! I too came to Tacoma World to learn about A-TRAC and the other drive modes... and have become quite thrilled at how they work. I saw your video... and I would say that A-TRAC (works only in Low Range) is a slow crawling mode that locks nearly 100% with the traction tire across te axle. No need to gun it, gust drive easy and allow the traction control to do the work so the truck doesn't bounce or jerk.

The TRAC (works in High Range) is not as close to 100% lock, but it is still a good limited slip that will give the traction tire more torque than the spinning tire, by braking the loose wheel, just not as strong as A-TRAC.

See my link to A-TRAC explained, in my signature below...

With A-TRAC, only one tire needs traction to get you moving... You would need expensive, after-market front (and rear) lockers to have traction that good!

Looking forward to more four wheeling videos on those lava fields! I have a friend in Capt. Cook, and would really like to get back to the Big Island again!

2010 TRD OFF-ROAD 4WD with Hydraulic Brake Booster and 9 drive modes:
    1) 2WD: VSC and TRAC active, engine regulated ('Limited Slip Lite').
    2) 2WD: 'AUTO LSD' ('TRAC OFF MODE'). No engine regulation for 'strong' limited slip.
    3) 2WD: 'VSC OFF MODE' (TRAC is off for 'open differential').
    4) 4WD-Hi: VSC and TRAC active. No engine regulation for 'strong' limited slip.
    5) 4WD-Hi: 'VSC OFF MODE' (TRAC is off for 'open differentials').
    6) 4WD-Lo: VSC and TRAC are both off in L4 ('open differentials').
    7) 4WD-Lo: 'A-TRAC' on gives a 'locker-like, super strong' limited slip, front and rear.
    8) 4WD-Lo: Rear Differential Locked and open front differential (A-TRAC off).
    9) 4WD-Lo: RR DIFF LOCK + A-TRAC on, 3 MPH limit.

4. Sep 22, 2010 at 4:46 PM
    Selecta

Selecta [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodent
    Kona
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Off Road White
    Right on..that write up is very informative i read it as soon as i bought my Tacoma and came to this site..i was curious what those buttons did and this site doesn't dissapoint along with some other curiosities i have. This road I went on to test the truck was fun for me but not my friends cause I kept making them get out and walk...Anyway thanks for the advice... this video was a tight fit..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzu6TY8834k

5. Sep 22, 2010 at 7:25 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Marcos, Alta California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 2 Hella 4000 HID, 1 Cibie Halogen. Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    That's cool amigo... I love my 2010 Off Road DC 4WD as well! I am glad you joined TW and can post videos... Most Mainlanders have no clue about Hawaii and the life style you enjoy there! We go to Baja California for some of that relaxation. My bud in Capt. Cook/ Kona area is a big time plant dude and he grows and designs landscape using exotic/ rare fruit trees... well exotic here on the mainland, not so much on the island!

To Top