1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A-TRAC/TRAC/AUTO LSD Explained (Easy to understand, I hope!)

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by David K, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Oct 9, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    David K

David K [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Nice... even better is if someone with access to Toyota tech manuals can provide a chart like we had for the 2009-2011 Tacomas...

MODES_of_operation-1_b471e7cd2ee5ff8792509afba2a54dbad1d513c2.jpg

2. Oct 10, 2012 at 10:26 AM
    PaulPhotographer

PaulPhotographer Active Member

Member:
    Tampa Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 & 2007 FJ Cruiser
    I tried the sandy spots around here, but they are too wet (making them not soft) or too short in length to really show the systems at work.

So the earliest that I can do the test will be this weekend. I know some real soft sand with long sections that should be perfect for the test. But they are about an hours drive from here.

PaulThePhotographer

--

3. Oct 10, 2012 at 10:55 AM
    PaulPhotographer

PaulPhotographer Active Member

Member:
    Tampa Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 & 2007 FJ Cruiser
    Hmmmm, Maybe a different Test might be better.

Something like this, that I like to do with our FJC.
    (I would put the FJC like this in 4LO and shut off everything and tell new people I am taking for a ride, that we are stuck. :D Because in 4 LO with everything OFF only the two wheels in the air spin.)

[​IMG]

Notice TWO opposite tires are off the ground at The same time.

So by the chart above! (Caveat: I realize that this photo the FJC is on a hill that would effect the test. But I have a different spot where the FJC is on level ground and I can do this same trick. So think of my examples being tested on level ground.)

When I am in 4Hi and I have pressed the VCS Button for more than 3 seconds, the Tacoma should NOT be able to move when situated like the FJC in the Photo. The two tires in the air should spin by themselves and the tires on the ground NOT spin! Correct????

But with only a Quick Push of the VSC button the Auto LSD (would still be on) would make BOTH rear tires turn and push the Tacoma forward. But ONLY one Front tire would spin, because Trac would be off. Correct???

And in "Normal" mode all four tires should spin/turn in this situation. Correct?

I might be able to do this test sooner?

PaulThePhotographer

---

4. Oct 10, 2012 at 11:30 AM
    GP3

GP3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4X4 TRD Off Road
    Front: stock suspension, 12" wide fiberglass fenders Rear: stock suspension, 10" wide fiberglass fenders
    To answer your questions.

Correct. Completely open diifs; zero traction control or VSC.

Incorrect. In previous years, a quick press would return you to Normal Mode (TRAC on/VSC on). Also, Auto LSD only came on in 2wd. Never in 4wd.

This is where 2012 might be different. Putting your truck in the FJ's position, and running down the list I suggested will tell us the difference.

Correct.

5. Oct 11, 2012 at 8:57 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Remember that TRAC in H4 was the same as AUTO LSD in H2 (2009-2011), ie. no engine regulation.

AUTO LSD or TRAC are just "limited slip" systems, which means the free tires will still spin, but not 100% (as with open differentials) as the system transfers power to the traction tires by applying brake force against the spinning tire. That may not be enough if the conditions are severe to get you moving. That is where A-TRAC or Lockers come into play. They both match power across the axle, so both tires turn equally. A-TRAC does it with brakes and lockers do it with gears.

6. Oct 11, 2012 at 9:13 AM
    GP3

GP3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4X4 TRD Off Road
    Front: stock suspension, 12" wide fiberglass fenders Rear: stock suspension, 10" wide fiberglass fenders
    I have the opinion that hydraulic brake boosted 4 High TRAC (not the vacuum boosted 4 High TRAC that SR5's and Sports have) has the same braking effect as ATRAC, but the difference you feel helping you out of a precarious off-road spot is the extra torque from 4 Low (and ability to use with RR Locker). That's a whole 'nother can of worms, and frankly, there's no documentation saying otherwise, but we can leave that for a future discussion while we test the 2012.

7. Oct 11, 2012 at 9:35 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    While I do agree that the Off Road 4WDs (with a hydraulic brake booster) have perhaps a stronger TRAC limited slip than all other Tacomas, I do believe the A-TRAC is a totally different system than TRAC in H4. TRAC limits spin and A-TRAC stops spin, and only the hydraulic booster has enough force for that. There also are some very 'interesting' sounds made by the A-TRAC you never hear with TRAC (grinding, popping, ticking, weird stuff).

A-TRAC is so much like having front and rear lockers on in the way it crawls the truck over the most difficult, poor tracking conditions... makes the truck feel like a tank or tractor... with only the body height or tire size limiting where the truck can go.

8. Oct 11, 2012 at 9:45 AM
    PerfectTekniq

PerfectTekniq I'm undefeated in the UFC.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pepe Silvia
    Claremont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Super White 4x4 DC SB Sport
    AllPro Front, AllPro Rear w/ wraps, AllPro IFS Skid, 5100 w/ 885's upfront, Duratracs, Front Superbumps, BuiltRight UCAs, Dakar Leaf Pack, Extended 5100's, AllPro Flip Kit, Rear Superbumps, Extended SS brake lines WeatherTech Floormats, TRD Intake, ScanGaugeII, TRD SoCal, Grillcraft, Wet Okoles, Cobra 75 w/ 4' whip
    Wait for it...wait for it...

9. Oct 11, 2012 at 9:46 AM
    GP3

GP3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4X4 TRD Off Road
    Right, but I think the extra noise is because the brake system has to apply much more force to combat the added torque of 4 Low. Also, I think the wheels stop because of the low wheel-speed you see in 4 Low.

Have you seen, or is there video, of a hydraulic brake boosted truck in 4 High with TRAC on where TRAC is doing it's job? I'd like to see it. I'd bet that the less-traction wheels do indeed stop if the wheel with traction is slow enough to warrant stopping the less-traction wheel. You just don't always see those low-speed, low-traction scenarios in 4 High.

10. Oct 11, 2012 at 9:50 AM
    GP3

GP3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4X4 TRD Off Road
    Only Shemp knows.

11. Oct 11, 2012 at 10:00 AM
    MudFlap

MudFlap Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Memphis (north mississippi)
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    PhotoPaul, the big question on our 2012 is the options for 4H. I read up on different threads like these hoping to learn about the different ways to use these options for an Off Road 4x4. I was under the impression that while in 4H the best option for traction was to go straight from 2WD normal driving mode into 4H and like this I would have TRAC on giving me limited slip front and rear with no engine regulation. Well I tried to pull a car out of a rather light weight stuck situation and found out differently. While I was pulling the car in 4H with no buttons pushed I started getting engine regulation killing my power. I hit the button once while in 4H and seen the "TRAC OFF" light. TRAC (according to what I have read) is NOT supposed to regulate engine power. This is where the BIG question comes in because in previous years there was no engine regulation in 4H with TRAC ON. But Im all but sure that I DID have it.

12. Oct 11, 2012 at 10:01 AM
    GP3

GP3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4X4 TRD Off Road
    Yep. Using your thread and your findings, I made up a step by step list to test 4 High.

I'm hoping he's going to use it so we can put the 2012 modes to rest. It's the easiest, most systematic way to test it.

13. Oct 11, 2012 at 10:31 AM
    Brandon H

Brandon H Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newhall, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC Offroad
    2017 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium. Icon stage 7, RCI skids, SCS SR8 wheels, budbuilt sliders, 285/70/17 BFG Ko2s (Old rig) 07 Taco TRD Offroad FUlly Locked, Icon Extended Travel CO's w/ remote resis., Alcan AAL's,Icon Remote Resi Rear Shocks, All Pro Front bumper w/ warn 9.5xp,winchline synthetic winch cable,All Pro IFS Skid plate, OME Shims, OME Carrier Bearing drop, Trail Gear Sliders, Yakima Load Warrior Basket, OEM Roof Rack, Hi Lift Extreme, Cobra model 19, Wilson Lil Wil Antenna, Yaesu ft-7800

My new quote! LMAO!!!!!!!!

14. Oct 11, 2012 at 10:40 AM
    Brandon H

Member:
    Newhall, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC Offroad
    2017 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium. Icon stage 7, RCI skids, SCS SR8 wheels, budbuilt sliders, 285/70/17 BFG Ko2s (Old rig) 07 Taco TRD Offroad FUlly Locked, Icon Extended Travel CO's w/ remote resis., Alcan AAL's,Icon Remote Resi Rear Shocks, All Pro Front bumper w/ warn 9.5xp,winchline synthetic winch cable,All Pro IFS Skid plate, OME Shims, OME Carrier Bearing drop, Trail Gear Sliders, Yakima Load Warrior Basket, OEM Roof Rack, Hi Lift Extreme, Cobra model 19, Wilson Lil Wil Antenna, Yaesu ft-7800
    It will never be anywhere as good, but its better than nothing i guess

15. Oct 11, 2012 at 11:32 AM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    What the hell are you smoking down there..you must be bored and trolling on purpose with your last statement. What a whack job

16. Oct 11, 2012 at 11:37 AM
    PerfectTekniq

PerfectTekniq I'm undefeated in the UFC.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pepe Silvia
    Claremont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Super White 4x4 DC SB Sport
    AllPro Front, AllPro Rear w/ wraps, AllPro IFS Skid, 5100 w/ 885's upfront, Duratracs, Front Superbumps, BuiltRight UCAs, Dakar Leaf Pack, Extended 5100's, AllPro Flip Kit, Rear Superbumps, Extended SS brake lines WeatherTech Floormats, TRD Intake, ScanGaugeII, TRD SoCal, Grillcraft, Wet Okoles, Cobra 75 w/ 4' whip
    Im gonna go get an 09+ offroad and follow you to the hammers. ok Monkey?

17. Oct 11, 2012 at 12:00 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    I double dog dare you

:popcorn:

18. Oct 11, 2012 at 12:18 PM
    GP3

GP3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4X4 TRD Off Road
    That was set up and supposed to happen with another guy, but never did.

Anyone know why?

19. Oct 11, 2012 at 12:26 PM
    Brandon H

Member:
    Newhall, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC Offroad
    Would you be referring to me? Still waiting. Monkey and I have ran several Hammers trails with our IFS trucks together. No sweat off my back.

20. Oct 11, 2012 at 12:30 PM
    GP3

GP3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4X4 TRD Off Road
    That excuse still flies? ;) It's Fall now.

This weekend looks perfect :D.

Products Discussed in

To Top