1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A-TRAC/TRAC/AUTO LSD Explained (Easy to understand, I hope!)

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by David K, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Jan 4, 2018 at 8:05 PM
    camdz

camdz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport DCSB
    Atrac got me out of 99% of any issues in my FJ. I very rarely used the rear locker. I miss that thing daily.

David K[OP] likes this.
  2. Jan 4, 2018 at 9:15 PM
    David K

David K [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    There's a reason to get the Off Road TRD 4x4.
    Are you sure the Yellow Wire Mod doesn't work in your truck for 4LoTrac?

3. Jan 5, 2018 at 4:48 AM
    camdz

camdz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport DCSB
    I haven't seen any mention of it. I figured it was just for the 2nd gens.

4. Jan 5, 2018 at 6:29 AM
    Pjf1119

Pjf1119 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Still playing with the 4H modes. I'm not all that impressed with the normal 4H in the snow (4L with ATRAC seems to get out of just about anything at all) - perhaps im not used to it quite yet. Im getting a lot of flare up with ABS which i understand is expected with traction control. I still have some playing around to do with the TRAC Off and VSC off - would you fellas recommend normal 4H with trac and vsc engaged for more snow applications when driving normally? It's been icy here too which doesn't help the tire slip/spin.

5. Jan 5, 2018 at 8:24 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    TRAC OFF (which is Traction Control with the engine regulation turned off) for the win. Don't be afraid to put your foot into it.
    The same is true with A-TRAC in L4, which does have engine regulation (to prevent tire spin). If the truck just stops moving but you want it to move: heavy pedal! I have "woke-up" A-TRAC on a steep climb when it wanted to stop climbing by mashing down on the gas pedal. It worked!

6. Jan 7, 2018 at 1:22 PM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    N. Calif. The Twilight Zone
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4x4, Barcelona Red
    Another question for you David. I have a 2009 TRD Sport 4x4. I have a switch for Trac but no switch for VSR. In 2wd when I push the Trac off the following shows on my instrument panel - Auto LSD is shown in red, it doesn’t say on or off just Auto LSD. Also shown on the instrument panel in yellow is the Trac off symbol and the word off below it. So does this mean limited slip is on or off? Is track off. Or partially off?
    In 4H I have to hold the Trac off switch down for a couple seconds and then the Trac off symbol appears with the word off below it but no Auto LSD lights up as it does in 2wd. I thought I understood all this but now I’m confused. Any enlightenment you can give is appreciated. Thanks

7. Jan 8, 2018 at 1:29 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    The button (switch) with the car and squiggly lines under it is called the VSC OFF SWITCH (not a TRAC OFF switch) The one button controls both VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) and TRAC (Traction Control).

In 2WD and 4WD-HI, your truck and mine (2010) are the same. Only in L4 is there a difference between an Off Road TRD and all other Tacomas.

The Terms (2009-2011*):
    TRAC is Traction Control (Limited Slip System). Helps you move ahead when one tire begins to spin.
    AUTO LSD is 2WD Traction Control without the engine regulation (throttle cut). It is also called TRAC OFF by Toyota (this is TRAC with the regulation turned OFF).
    VSC is Vehicle Stability Control which helps you keep going in the direction you intend when the vehicle begins to slide sideways.
    VSC OFF is to deactivate BOTH TRAC and VSC. It will turn itself back on if the vehicle's movement becomes dangerous; and/or every time you restart the truck; and/or you re-press the button.

*In 2012, Toyota added a selectable TRAC OFF mode to 4WD-HI, requiring a quick button push in H4.

2009-2011 in H4 was normally in the "TRAC OFF mode," without a button push. It was called TRAC, not TRAC OFF in those years. There was no light then. 4WD-HI (2009-2011) is always without the engine output regulation. This was confusing to some who did not read the tech literature of the time. Adding a regulated TRAC to the non-regulated TRAC OFF (in 2012) maybe was to clear up this contradiction as well as give a 4WD "Lite" mode if one did not always need the regulation turned off?

The operating actions:
    In H2, a quick press of the VSC Off button engages AUTO LSD (same as TRAC OFF) which is enhanced TRAC (as there is no engine regulation). The VSC is also off, but only to 30 mph when it comes on automatically.

In H4, you need not push any button (2009-2011) for enhanced traction control. It was automatically in the enhanced (no engine regulation) mode.

In H2 or H4, if you stop moving, then press and hold down the button for a few seconds (until the VSC OFF light comes on), you diserengage both the VSC and TRAC systems so your tire(s) can spin freely.

Press the button again or restarting the truck will return you to normal TRAC mode.

8. Jan 8, 2018 at 2:15 PM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    N. Calif. The Twilight Zone
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4x4, Barcelona Red
    I Truly appreciate your time and effort here David. You have enlightened me so now I feel I understand this whole thing. I’m going to print this explanation and frame i5 in my man cave. Thank you again. If you are ever out in N California let me know, I’ll buy the beer.

9. Jan 8, 2018 at 10:40 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    That is way cool of you amigo!
    I would really like to party with all of you... especially out on the trail, in 4WD!
    If any of you get the motivation high enough to go camping in Baja, I am happy to help with that, too! See my 7 detailed trip reports in 2017, posted on the TW TRIP REPORTS FORUM: https://www.tacomaworld.com/forums/trip-reports.180/ (its kind of hidden in the Off Roading & Trails forum).

Here's a short preview of an all Toyota 4WD tour I led in 2016. Enjoy the tunes!:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAWGzW4bR9Q

10. Jan 9, 2018 at 7:02 AM
    Canadianguy91

Canadianguy91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Krown undercoating, Protect a plate, blindspot mirrors, Reese stainless steel towing ball, Bakflip MX4 tonneau cover, Tufskinz tailgate letter inserts, Console organiser, Tinted windows, LED interiors, Bed lights, Hood lights, Black Canadian flag decal (@bfeth), Oem bed mat, WeatherTech floor liners, Arctic Claw XSI tires, Recovery Shackle, Ultimate LED turn signals V3 @mesojdm, OEM TRD Off-Road tow hook, Bilstein 5100's with ARB's Old Man Emu 2887 coils, ICON progressive add a leaf, General Grabber ATX tires, Fuel ripper rims, Auxbeam F-16 H11 Led headlights, Borla S-type catback exhaust with black tip, custom powertray, vinyl badge inlays, (@rrentrop), Rear diff breather mod, Redarc trailer break controller https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qqN7m1pc6AA
    I'm so lost on this whole thing. I got a limited so I don't think I have a rear locker. Can someone just tell me what is and isn't engaged when
    1. You start your truck and drive normal
    2. You press the button on the overhead furthest left I believe it's the vehicle stability button
    3. Yiu press and gold that button

11. Jan 9, 2018 at 7:05 AM
    FastEddy59

FastEddy59 TTC #0061

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Smack, Dab in the middle of Winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    '13 Barc. Red Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Rigid 23004 Radiance light bar Cheap 3K 18W LED Fogs General AT-2's Pioneer AVH4200NEX w/ iDatalink JL XD5003V2 Focal 165KRX2's JL 10TW3 Arcticstart 803
    What's the last piece of the puzzle? The 2011-2015 years or were there more changes & variations?

12. Jan 9, 2018 at 9:14 AM
    drwx

drwx Well-Known Member

Member:
    M'boro, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD Offroad 4x4 BBP

1 is light traction control
    2 is traction control without engine regulation, Trac off
    3 is traction control and engine regulation off

The only 3rd gens with lockers are the pro and offroad

David K[OP] likes this.
  13. Jan 9, 2018 at 9:23 AM
    Canadianguy91

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Krown undercoating, Protect a plate, blindspot mirrors, Reese stainless steel towing ball, Bakflip MX4 tonneau cover, Tufskinz tailgate letter inserts, Console organiser, Tinted windows, LED interiors, Bed lights, Hood lights, Black Canadian flag decal (@bfeth), Oem bed mat, WeatherTech floor liners, Arctic Claw XSI tires, Recovery Shackle, Ultimate LED turn signals V3 @mesojdm, OEM TRD Off-Road tow hook, Bilstein 5100's with ARB's Old Man Emu 2887 coils, ICON progressive add a leaf, General Grabber ATX tires, Fuel ripper rims, Auxbeam F-16 H11 Led headlights, Borla S-type catback exhaust with black tip, custom powertray, vinyl badge inlays, (@rrentrop), Rear diff breather mod, Redarc trailer break controller https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qqN7m1pc6AA
    So what's the diff between 2 and 3?

14. Jan 9, 2018 at 10:58 AM
    drwx

drwx Well-Known Member

Member:
    M'boro, TN
    Vehicle:

2 is strong traction control without engine regulation
    3 is no traction control at all... ie, traction control and engine regulation are off.

David K[OP] likes this.
  15. Jan 9, 2018 at 11:57 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    By George, I think he's got it!

16. Jan 9, 2018 at 3:24 PM
    Canadianguy91

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    So 2 has better traction but 3 has more power?
    I don't get what you mean by engine regulation

17. Jan 9, 2018 at 4:24 PM
    drwx

drwx Well-Known Member

Member:
    M'boro, TN
    Vehicle:
    3 allows wheel spin to clear mud or snow... Or to do donuts and drift.

18. Jan 9, 2018 at 4:25 PM
    Canadianguy91

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Right and the 2 cuts the power to the wheel that's slipping?

19. Jan 9, 2018 at 4:26 PM
    drwx

drwx Well-Known Member

Member:
    M'boro, TN
    Vehicle:
    Yep via the brakes

20. Jan 9, 2018 at 7:17 PM
    Canadianguy91

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    What

Products Discussed in

To Top