1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A-TRAC/TRAC/AUTO LSD Explained (Easy to understand, I hope!)

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by David K, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Jul 13, 2022 at 11:06 AM
    David K

David K [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    There is a 4-Lo-Trac Mod for the non-Off Road TRD models... at least for the 2nd Gens.

2. Jul 13, 2022 at 12:59 PM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    N. Calif. The Twilight Zone
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4x4, Barcelona Red
    David, yes the 4L lsd mod works on second gen TRD sports. I haven’t done it cause I just don’t want to mess with it. What I really like on my 2009 is when I’m in 4H I automatically have 4wd and limited slip front and rear. It’s amazing traction. I’ve gone places where guys with other trucks and open axles just spun their tires. And thank you David, I learned all this from your excellent posts. You made this shit understandable.

jeminyned likes this.
  3. Jul 13, 2022 at 1:04 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    You are very kind, sir!

Sprig[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jul 15, 2022 at 6:26 PM
    Dagosa

Dagosa Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco TRD OR
    Debaged
    My 2015 2g OR has A-trac.

5. Jul 16, 2022 at 8:03 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    A-TRAC was made standard on all Off Road TRD 4x4s in 2009. In 2016, it was modified and made 'adjustable' for different terrain, if you had an automatic transmission... and they renamed it MTS (Multi-Terrain Select) with a 'cruise control' for slow crawling, called CRAWL. The manual transmission 3rd Gens still have the basic A-TRAC.

02Duck and jeminyned like this.
  6. Oct 16, 2023 at 2:18 PM
    Williston

Williston Unknown Member

Member:
    The North Woods / New England / FL600
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma V6 AT SR5 4x4 DC SB Tow Pkg Entune+
    Super White Stock (99.999%) OEM Bed Floor Mat, Cargo Net, Auto-Dim mirror w/Comp and Temp. TRD Pro Grille, Uni-Filter air pump modification
    Just want to say that I always sit up straight and smile when I see an update to this post. Nothing recent, but just the same IMO it's on par with the: "4wd System Operation and Help Thread" started a few years ago by poster: DM93 [OP]. Before I came across that thread, the Tacoma 4WD system was just the equivalent of the black box in an aircraft as far as I was concerned. Excellent info and education.

This thread accomplishes the same. I have been asked a few times how the Toyota "Safety Sense" features work and what they do.... My answer was invariably: "Dunno... Nobody knows anything about those systems..." The info in the owner's manual is confusing and seemingly contradictory in some places. Not so once this thread came along. There is a video out there of the system moving a Tacoma sitting on on jack stands with only one wheel on the ground in 4WD-H and 4WD-L and one in real-world conditions on a trail in the same set-up using ruts on the trail.

The system manages to move the truck forward in every case. You can actually see the system search for the wheel with traction in the last test until it was successful.

If there is a "Tacomaworld Hall of Fame" in here somewhere, these two threads should be in it! :proposetoast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXYFxXUcdYA

Thank you

Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
    TRD493, 02Duck, Sprig and 2 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top