1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A-TRAC Videos (Active Traction Control in Action)

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Crom, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Apr 30, 2010 at 2:17 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    Tacomas have TRAC in 4H, no need for ATRAC....

2. Apr 30, 2010 at 3:14 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    It is strange, considering ATRAC provides the capability that previously people would have to spend nearly $2000 to get, with none of the breakage, driveability, and warranty issues. I would choose ATRAC over lockers any day. It was cool 2 weeks ago when I was in the mud with 6 other modded trucks, and mine was the only one spinnig all 4's....

3. Apr 30, 2010 at 3:14 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    It is strange, considering ATRAC provides the capability that previously people would have to spend nearly $2000 to get, with none of the breakage, drive-ability, and warranty issues. I would choose ATRAC over lockers any day. It was cool 2 weeks ago when I was in the mud with 6 other modded trucks, and mine was the only one spinning all 4's....

4. Apr 30, 2010 at 3:48 PM
    Crom

Crom [OP] Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    :thumbsup: Yes! Good points! It boggles my mind. A-TRAC is so capable, and for the cost, it's incredible. I wanted to try to illustrate the system for others to show how awesome the technology is. That was the whole idea for this thread! Let's show people how it works. :)

When I first got my truck I went wheeling within 24 hours and I got stuck in 4lo, I didn't know that when one wheel would spin that the truck would not move!!! I didn't know that A-TRAC would get me out--I didn't even know where the A-TRAC switch was! I thought that only the locker would get me out which it eventually did.

But now that I am informed, I just cruise along in 4Lo and with A-TRAC activated and when a wheel does spin, I hardly notice and I am hard pressed to get stuck [ terrain permitting ].

It is remarkable!

5. Apr 30, 2010 at 4:00 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Exactly the thrill I have and can't wait to get back into the dirt, again!

Wait until you slip the rear end into a pair of deep ruts and the back of your truck high-centers on the spare tire and trailer hitch! Happened to me on Panda Jerk's Drug Airport roads (Twin Oasks Valley, San Marcos)!!

The rear locker was useless since BOTH back tires were off the ground (like the Tundra video demo)... A tap of the gas with A-TRAC on and whoosh... I am on my way! [I was backing down a steep grade without paying as close attention as I should, and that's how I slipped into the ruts!]

VIVA A-TRAC!

6. Apr 30, 2010 at 4:41 PM
    2000uzj

2000uzj Where's my hammer?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Sandy Springs,GA
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota, but not a Tacoma
    Thanks, I knew I was a little stupid on the whole sensor deal. That helps quite a bit to know what it's composed of. do you have any pictures or idea where these are?

7. Apr 30, 2010 at 5:02 PM
    SoCaliSnowboarder77

SoCaliSnowboarder77 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Valencia, Ca
    Vehicle:
    09 GSXR 600 & Snowboarders Hauler
    4x4 OFF-ROAD... that is all I need...
    I think I should sell my Coma to someone who would use it for what it's made for... dayam impulse buy! I just use my Coma 4x4 for snow. It's on 2wd mode 99.99999% of the time.

8. Apr 30, 2010 at 5:05 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    I would rather have a 'Taco' than a 'Coma'! LOL!

I have been in a coma before, ain't no fun!!

9. May 8, 2010 at 6:10 PM
    Crom

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
  10. May 10, 2010 at 10:42 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    ha ha I would love to see you following my Land Cruiser with Front/Rear lockers :D
    ATRAC is good, but not that good.
    What breakage are you talking about with Lockers ?
    plus I would honestly advice on waiting few years before signing poems on the ATRAC. Applying brakes on axle that trying to spin never was a good thing. Especially if it is semi-float axle and gets shocked by brakes while rotating.
    Thats how people snap CV's with lockers. Spin tires and apply the brakes. Now system does that for you thus at some point CV's/axles/diffs will start getting snapped. Lockers allow you to control 4 wheel spin at exact speed. You dont brake anything unless you do something utterly stupid.

11. May 10, 2010 at 11:47 AM
    Crom

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    No problem. All of us that have A-TRAC have rear lockers too. :p

I understand that Active-TRAC has been around on the FJ's for at least two years before the Tacoma's.

I don't wish to argue with you but your words sound like the typical guy who has never experienced A-TRAC before, and wants to bash on it--for reasons I can't explain. The fact is that it was included in the factory price of our trucks, it is one of the many tools available to us. It has none of the steering issues that a front locker would have.

What's more is that we can lockup the rear and use A-TRAC under 3mph in the front. It's a phenomenally capable off-road truck right from the factory. It is unprecedented for the taco, and that is hard to beat!

Have you seen this video before? http://www.toyota.com/fjcruiser/demos/active-traction-control.html

12. May 10, 2010 at 2:11 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD

Since the axle has no mechanical lock, the strain is limited to what the braking system applies, the example you give proves my point. The brakes are working against a locker, if it is there. With ATRAC it is all one system.
    And I agree with the above post, the only bashers of ATRAC, are generally people who don't own it, haven't hardly used it, or those who have dished out big time cash for lockers, therefor feel the need to defend them.

Hmmm.

13. May 10, 2010 at 6:40 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
  14. May 10, 2010 at 8:39 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    I watched the whole series, all the trucks driven by the ARB rep. It's advertising, not information. The only point that is clear is open diffs suck. Also, the ARB driver purposely put the other vehicles at a disadvantage, especially the rear lsd model, where he didn't use any brake torquing. Also in the truck with ATRAC, he purposely lost momentum, where in the ARB'd truck, he did not.

15. May 11, 2010 at 1:24 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    No kidding, as Hemi says the A-TRAC (?) "Electronic Traction Control" middle Prado was creeped up until momentum stopped, then he tried to move it on, again. The ARB Prado didn't slow or come to a stop at the steepest point...

What it does show is that Factory A-TRAC drives all 4 wheels pretty much the same as air lockers, and both vehicles are superior to open differentials...

16. May 12, 2010 at 6:34 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    Doesn't look to me like it gives up anything to lockers, different yes, but inferior, no. Torque is transfered, steering is unaffected, and no need to turn it on and off, nice.

17. May 12, 2010 at 9:19 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    I get back and forth and sometimes both with the Atrac and locker, I wonder why they didn't put the buttons close to each other.....

It should be like: Traction control, Atrac, locker, all right next to each other.

18. May 12, 2010 at 9:36 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    I agree! You could have gone up that in 2wheel open diff with some decent driving.

He did bring up a good point about wear to the brake system/ overheating the system with Atrac. If you were to run a Rubicon-like trail and having to use only Atrac the whole time, you'd put ALOT of wear on your brakes and the system would likely overheat a few times (temporarily shut off to cool) whereas a Locker(s) wouldn't have any problems like that but could potentially snap something in the drivetrain if not driven correctly.

He also made a good point about Atrac in mud and sand: where traction is low and momentum is best,the atrac really shuts you down and can be detrimental to your progress; it's only good where there IS traction to be had.

19. May 12, 2010 at 11:06 PM
    Crom

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    I watched this video again a few times. I did not realize this the first time but at time index 1:25-1:34 only two wheels were responsible for pulling the vehicle up. The front driver side and rear passenger side wheels were the only ones with traction. This was a very good demonstration.

If I were driving up that thing I would have went up locked in the rear and A-TRAC on the front, for maximum traction.

Yes. It would make it more logical to arrange them like that. I speculate that because A-TRAC was the newest feature, and all the other button locations were occupied with features from previous years models that Toyota interior designers were resigned to put it down by the cup holders.

My A-TRAC button stays activated all the time, I don't ever need to deactivate it unless I am playing around and want the truck to get stuck or something.

20. May 12, 2010 at 11:17 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Great videos!!!

Products Discussed in