1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

a utah cave dweller says hey

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Hermit, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Jun 11, 2010 at 10:42 AM
    Hermit

Hermit [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD ext cab
    not much yet, soon to come
    Hey...

Me? 54 yrs old; "involuntarily" retired; no kids; not married; two dogs; and typical "Aspie" (I have Asperger's autism).
    I'm pretty much a Howard Hughes type - an intelligent, eccentric, recluse - but without the money... :D

My current ride is a nearly stock 1999 Taco TRD 4x4, with the auto, ext cab, and 3.4 V-6.

I have a little money coming in, and a bit of savings, and a whole lot of time. I want to fill the time with some expedition style off-roading, so I'm planning on spending a decent dime to fix up the Taco this year, so I can head out next spring.

New suspension, sliders, armor, winch, bumpers, seats, tires and to top it off a "Four Wheel Camper" pop-top camper with a few conveniences. My major problem is building a "dual purpose" machine - one that will work decent when its empty AND when its loaded with 1200 lbs of camper and equipment. My best idea so far is a medium weight supension (600 lbs comfortably) and a set of Firestone Ride-Rite air springs to boost the capacity for the expedition stuff.

Then I want to see the northern lights in Alaska, the fur seals at the tip of the Baja peninsula, a few raptors in the Arches slickrock, and whatever I find in between.

I'll probably lurk quite a bit, ask a few questions, and try not to be an idiot (he he he ... that's a stretch... :help:)

later... Don

2. Jun 11, 2010 at 10:55 AM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    welcome to TW

3. Jun 11, 2010 at 10:57 AM
    kinetik873

kinetik873 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    OME 3" lift, ARB bumper,DTRL, CB radio in console, 5lb fire extinguisher in bed. SockMonkey decals, Allpro rear bumper, UWS 42" bed box, Wet Okoles all around, snorkel, Pioneer Av3200, ..yadda yadda yadda
    Cant wait to see the build! Welcome!

4. Jun 11, 2010 at 11:30 AM
    Hermit

Member:
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD ext cab
    thanks...

5. Jun 11, 2010 at 11:44 AM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    Welcome, sounds like you'll fit in just fine around these parts. Also sounds like you have a nice trip planned. Good luck!

6. Jun 11, 2010 at 11:45 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to TW, Don!

7. Jun 11, 2010 at 11:47 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Welcome aboard. What kind of internet access you gettin out in caveland? Striving to become a caveman later myself.............

8. Jun 11, 2010 at 1:22 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    Welcome to TW! You live in the right state for the expedition stuff. Did you see the Dangerous Drives episode when they were in Moab in the winter for a few days?

9. Jun 11, 2010 at 4:29 PM
    Hermit

Member:
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD ext cab
    Hi y'all..

Appreciate the welcome. I'm looking forward to using the experience here, to build something I've been thinking of for years. I'm a bit concerned for the IFS, but I see some real possibilities in these threads.

Already made one change to my plans cause of the forum = replace Firestone Ride-Rites with Timbrens. Using the bags for leveling would be cool, but KISS says to use the Timbrens and drop the airlines.

Had no idea the lifts would be so easy on a Taco. Got a friend who's an excellent welder and think he'll help with the hot stuff - I might even learn how myself, especially since he likes to see the boot do the work.

I'm keepin a close eye on the group buys and plan to accumulate the suspension, bumpers, and armor first. Wish I could keep the build under $4500 (not counting camper), but my guesstimates are already up to $6000. Good thing I'm a fair wrench.

I'm a bit worried I am pushing the load to much and thinking I might need to do a little boxing and gusseting, if I want to go exploring with a 1200 lb. load. Being solo I think I better build it pretty strong.

Back to planning. I'm not much of a talker or typist, but will try to be a part of the conversation. Hope to start buying stuff immediately, and maybe do a first stage build in 3 or 4 months. Got a check today that will go a long way towards funding the plan.

Funny - I'm totally stoked to cut off some body work to improve my angle of approach and departure - its a dream come true... :yay:

Keep yourselves upright... H

10. Jun 11, 2010 at 4:32 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    Welcome Don!

11. Jun 11, 2010 at 4:45 PM
    mgage10

mgage10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 White Tacoma TRD Sport Long Bed 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s with Add-A-Leaf 18x9 XD Addicts on 285/65R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers G2 TRD Skid Plate Gray Husky Liners Venture Shield Clear Bra TRD Sport Pedals Seat Belt Alarm Disabled LED Map Lights (Cool White) LED Dome Light (Cool White) LED License Plate Lights (Cool White) White Engine Cover White Toyota FJ Grill Badge Viper 2 Way Alarm System Debadged Tailgate Fog Light Anytime Mod Window Tint Black Mesh Upper Grillcraft Black Mesh Lower Grillcraft Black Mesh Grillcraft Triangles Raven Speed Antenna AFE Stage 2 Pro-Dry S Intake Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers

Products Discussed in

To Top