1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AAL, 5100, Issues??????

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Zizo, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Feb 11, 2010 at 6:22 PM
    Zizo

Zizo [OP] Engineer Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '06 Doublecab 4x4 TRD Sport
    TRD Supercharger, 3" lift, Pioneer Sound System, Remote Start, Avid Off Road Bumpers, All Pro Sliders, LED light bar, HID headlights and fogs, much more...
    Hi guys,
    I know this topic has been beaten to death since these are popular options, but searching only gives hundreds of threads. I have a stock suspension '06 DoubleCab sport with the rear TSB leaf pack. My question is this: If I install some Bilstein 5100's front, set at 2.5" and install a 1.5" AAL in the back with new 5100 shocks, will I have any issues with CV angles, diff drops, brake lines, etc.?

I plan on getting the 5100's from DownSouth MotorSports and the AAL from Toytec. Can I still use the U-bolts on the truck or do I need new ones? They were replaced when the TSB was done in August.

I know people are sick of hearing this, but I would appreciate the help. In fact, does anyone have this setup and if so some pics? Thanks a lot you guys :deadhorse:

2. Feb 11, 2010 at 6:24 PM
    meckleystephen

meckleystephen My Taco is Bi-Winning!!!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
    3 Inch Toytec lift,Blacked out badges
  3. Feb 11, 2010 at 6:32 PM
    Zizo

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger, 3" lift, Pioneer Sound System, Remote Start, Avid Off Road Bumpers, All Pro Sliders, LED light bar, HID headlights and fogs, much more...
    Will I need to get that carrier bearing drop? It's only $11, I just don't want my dad saying "See, you shouldn't have lifted it. Now it shakes!!!"
    Also, do you think if I keep the stock tire size (265-70-17), will it look silly lifted? I just got the tires 3 months ago and they're brand new Revo's. Spent $150/each.

Thanks

4. Feb 11, 2010 at 6:39 PM
    Simon2150

Simon2150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 SR5
    I did have the tsb done.

OP: You should be fine with everything in your original post. I ordered new ubolts as I understand even the ones from the tsb would fit but there might be clearance issues with adding the AAL. I ordered the ubolts for peace of mind. I also ordered shims and carrier bearing drop and installed.

My only recommendation is to look in my gallery to see what an upside down spring perch looks like and ensure you install yours right side up. if upside down, it'll give you additional lift in the front causing more preload on the front coils. it'll ride stiffer too if you put it upside down.

feel free to PM me with any questions.

5. Feb 11, 2010 at 6:40 PM
    Simon2150

Simon2150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 SR5
    Also, you wont need extended brake lines (at least I didn't)

6. Feb 11, 2010 at 6:47 PM
    Zizo

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys for all the help. I have the Silver side steps on the truck and the front skidplate from the original owner, so I just feel like the truck is low. It may not be, but because of the side bars and the skid it appears lower than other stock trucks. Maybe if I just get the shocks/struts and set them to 1.75" the tires won't look so small and silly.

I know Ubolts are for peace of mind so I guess they are cheap insurance. I'm trying not to spend over $400 on all this. We'll see. Thanks again

To Top