1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AB6 Retrofit Headlights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by joechef, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Nov 9, 2021 at 3:09 PM
    kustom54lighting

kustom54lighting Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Hey I’ll check on that for you. We have been backed up but you still should of got a reply.

2. Mar 2, 2022 at 10:27 AM
    EK99civic

EK99civic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle:
    16' Tacoma TRD O/R
    My headlights are still having the DRL dim issue since October of last year. I've been sent the drivers after about 2 months of trying to contact you. I spliced in the drivers but still have the same issue. Now I cant seem to contact anyone from Kustom54 through email or Instagram DM since the beginning of January. I think I might need to send them in for warranty work but need to know specifics such as if I need to pay for shipping, how long the warranty may take, etc.

3. Jun 27, 2022 at 6:02 AM
    Operator8

Operator8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Woodland Park, CO
    Vehicle:
    2005 White Tacoma TRD OR
    38's, F&R Lockers, Tundra Rack, Gusseted Spindles, RC UCA's, Solo LCA's, Ripcord DIY Camper.
    Were you ever able to get in touch with them?

4. Jun 27, 2022 at 9:36 AM
    EK99civic

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle:
    16' Tacoma TRD O/R
    Negative, I've stopped trying now. Just wanted some trouble shooting help at this point

5. Jul 9, 2022 at 11:16 PM
    jhmw815

jhmw815 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Trd Pro
    Are these guys still in business? I just bought these used from TW. Now, I'm having doubts. I was searching for detailed installation instructions but can't find them anywhere. The installation instruction on their website is one of the worst manuals I've ever seen.

6. Sep 5, 2022 at 10:14 PM
    ant_thony

ant_thony New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Vehicle:
    2018 quicksand TRD off-road
    tjm Rear rock crawler bumper
    Bought some over a month ago and havent heard from him. Website is down and email doesnt work.

7. Oct 21, 2022 at 9:18 PM
    tacoteeko

tacoteeko Seriously, WTF?!

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Foley, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2019 White Tacoma SR5 Dbl Cab
    Predator steps Custom grille Bull bar 3" leveling Kit 17" wheels 285/70 r17 tires
    This is disappointing because I just came across these lights today when looking into new headlights or retrofitting, and I really like the look. haven’t found anything else that has a DRL that looks like this one.

Site won’t even pull up. Plus, I found a lot of not so flattering talk of the outfit on FB. It’s like the owner just dropped off the face of the earth.

8. Oct 24, 2022 at 11:46 AM
    TahKo

TahKo unofficial tinkerer & gadget/diy googler

Member:
    First Name:
    Christina
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5, Barcelona Red, DBL Cab
    chrome rear letter inserts bed LED lights tailgate remote lock/un-locker side rails grill swap

Any way you can help me with the wiring? Just got some on FB w/ondirections

9. Oct 26, 2022 at 11:52 AM
    TahKo

Member:
    First Name:
    Christina
    New England
    Vehicle:
    chrome rear letter inserts bed LED lights tailgate remote lock/un-locker side rails grill swap
    If anyone has these any help with the wiring would be greatly appreciated

10. Oct 26, 2022 at 6:47 PM
    EK99civic

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle:
    16' Tacoma TRD O/R
    From what I remember it was straight forward, didn't need instructions. Most of what you are connecting are connectors that are keyed differently and on the headlight themselves. There's a TON of wiring outside the headlight.

If you got them with the bi-xenons, you won't need to use your high beam connector since the bi-xenon functions as the high and low beams.

I did have to enlarge the top mount hole on the headlights that connects to the radiator support. Wasn't a big deal but for what we are paying for them...

Hopefully you don't have the problem that lots of us are having with the DRL dimming or they completely stop working. My LEDs in the DRL slowly got dimmer and dimmer until most of them now don't work. Maybe someone can help with some troubleshooting ideas? Checked fuses and wiring and seems to be all good.

11. Oct 26, 2022 at 6:57 PM
    TahKo

Member:
    First Name:
    Christina
    New England
    Vehicle:
    THANK YOU for the reply, unfortunately I have 2 sets of wires from the new lights that are straight pins without and type of connector so i’ve bee cruising around TW trying to see wtf they’re called lol. I did manage to macgyver the wires real quick but got so pissed i put it all back to stock even took off raptors until i figure out the wiring. Pretty sure I have the high/low in same light which didn’t work (prob not hooked up right) and I notices every other color except blue worked. Brought everything inside to clean up the terminals as they were pretty gnarly and realized that a couple of them were in the wrong spots (blue and green were in wrong places, don’t know if it’s supposed to be like that). I also noticed where the 7.5 inline fuse there’s only 1 metal female terminal inside the plastic housing so one male terminal was corroded and plugged into straight plastic. Not sure if it’s supposed to be like that either. At any rate once i get connectors squared away I’ll try again

12. Nov 19, 2022 at 1:43 PM
    skadiddly

skadiddly No creativity allowed

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver TRD Sport
    Emerald green letter inserts [dash, tailgate, door sill protectors] Emerald green vinyl wrap on all interior chrome minus door handles Changed stock blue gauge numbers and all interior switches/buttons to green using window tint behind the face CB radio OVTune
    Alright, so I’ve been lurking and troubleshooting these lights for quite a while now. Every couple months someone would post something new and I would want to get back on it and post, but life is busy and this task is daunting.

Anyway, before I dove in, I spoke to Pavel (by the way, pretty unpersonable) and he sent me two new drivers as that was “the common problem”. I only switched the driver side because that was the only one not working, but the new ones didn’t work ever while the old one would at least work intermittently (until it failed completely). I tried all kinds of wiring and switching ballasts and I even wired the left/right headlights on the wrong sides and it was still only the one housing where the DRL/turn signal didn’t work and I finally narrowed it down to the conclusion that it had to be the wires from the light (the squiggly turn signal) that go out the bottom of the housing. I thought the wires had come loose and I could simply reconnect and it would be fixed. But I cracked the headlight open (oven at 200F for 14 minutes, take 5 screws out of the back first) and the wires seem pretty solid. They are JB welded to not come loose and seem to be connected.

Im sorry to everyone that is coming in late, after it seems this company disappeared. I looked up the company on bbb, and it’s not flattering. The Facebook page says it’s due to military reasons that he’s gone, but at this point, I feel like that’s a half ass excuse/lie. Before I bought these, I had heard of this company, and had heard good things. I think the lights had been showcased at some shows and everything. But with very little customer support to now no customer support, it just feels like a giant scam. At least I got the headlights out of it though and if we as a community can figure out a fix of some sort, I would feel better. For now, I have the stock back on, considering it’s a driving hazard without a left turn signal.

Sorry if this is disjointed, I’m on mobile and I just wanted to get something up since I’ve broken into the housing of this and found little more than anyone else. I’ll keep digging and try to update more. I’m going to try to find the installation manual I printed from the website before it got shut down and post that too.

Fadi hermez likes this.
  13. Nov 19, 2022 at 2:21 PM
    skadiddly

skadiddly No creativity allowed

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver TRD Sport
    Emerald green letter inserts [dash, tailgate, door sill protectors] Emerald green vinyl wrap on all interior chrome minus door handles Changed stock blue gauge numbers and all interior switches/buttons to green using window tint behind the face CB radio OVTune
    Here are the instructions. This is for the "newer" harnesses with the add-a-fuse, but before I followed that, I tapped into the turn signal wires. I would have to look to see which color wire went where though, if anyone is interested in that setup.

Attached Files:

TahKo likes this.
  14. Nov 19, 2022 at 3:45 PM
    TahKo

Member:
    First Name:
    Christina
    New England
    Vehicle:
    Thank you @skadiddly for taking the time to not only respond but do some work on the lights and upload instructions

15. Nov 19, 2022 at 10:59 PM
    EK99civic

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle:
    16' Tacoma TRD O/R
    Dang, I was looking for that manual for a while now. I haven't done much troubleshooting other than shaking wires. When I have time, I plan on looking further into it

16. Jan 22, 2023 at 8:56 AM
    EK99civic

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle:
    16' Tacoma TRD O/R
    Wonder if this could be the issue for the dim DRL problem that the majority of us are having???

17. Jan 22, 2023 at 12:52 PM
    EK99civic

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle:
    16' Tacoma TRD O/R
    Can you take a pic of the "switch back model"? Don't know which component that is with all the wiring that these headlights have.

18. Jan 22, 2023 at 1:09 PM
    EK99civic

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle:
    16' Tacoma TRD O/R
    Awesome, I've replaced the drivers as others have, and still having the same issue. Keep us posted please!

19. Jan 22, 2023 at 3:34 PM
    EK99civic

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle:
    16' Tacoma TRD O/R
    I contacted Pavel right before he started to disappear and he sent me a pair. Soldered the new drivers in, problem still existed. No change in brightness.

Also, I've been curious as to how the DRLs look and how they are wired behind the LED molded strip. Mind sharing a pic of that?

20. Jan 22, 2023 at 6:51 PM
    EK99civic

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle:
    16' Tacoma TRD O/R
    It's both the passenger and drivers side. It started on one side slightly, then the other, then both progressively got worse.

I threw the old ones away

Products Discussed in

To Top