1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

? about rear bumper removal

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Gorilla_97, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Feb 23, 2009 at 8:21 AM
    Gorilla_97

Gorilla_97 [OP] Once a gorilla always a gorilla

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 FJC Black Diamond
    Sorry, I don't have time to search all day so I'm looking for a quick reply.

I have a chrome rear bumper that I previously covered with the rolled on bedliner stuff. I didn't do a very good job on the prep work, and I've had a couple of spots come off that I want to repaint the entire bumper.

Does the chrome bumper cover come off separate from the rest of the bumper, or do I need to remove the entire thing from my truck?

Thanks!

2. May 4, 2009 at 8:39 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    Sold my truck Jan '13... Still hang around.
    Bumpin' Gorilla's post for some info for myself. I may need to remove my rear bumper soon and I'm not sure how to do it. Any help would be much appreciated.

3. May 4, 2009 at 8:52 AM
    BeefTaco

BeefTaco WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST

Member:
    Santa Cruz County Ca.
  4. May 4, 2009 at 9:03 AM
    mws4ua

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    Fantastic, thanks!

5. May 4, 2009 at 9:10 AM
    johnecon2001

johnecon2001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab
    Downey front skid, Trail Gear U-Bolt flip, Toytec AAL, Total Chaos UCA's, Bilstein 5100's x4 + Eibach adjustable coils, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Custom Rear bumper, TRD OffRoad front tow hook, TRD Trail Team wheels, Federal Couragia M/T 265's, ARB rear locker + on board air (CKMA12), TRD shift knob, Alpine W205, TRD seat covers, Tom Woods 1 Piece drive shaft, Powermaster D2700, Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders.
    There are either two or three bolts per frame rail. The whole bumper is attached to the trailer hitch too.

6. May 4, 2009 at 9:19 AM
    mws4ua

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    I'm looking through the removal steps now... this is more of a PITA than I thought it would be.

John, are you saying that it could be as easy as 2-3 bolts per frame rail plus the hitch connections and lighting connections? The instructions posted above seem to want me to take of EVERYTHING (including the bumper covers, which is unnecessary for me unless there are bolts underneath them). I'm also starting to get the impression that the instructions are for removing the entire assembly, not just the part you see.

7. May 4, 2009 at 11:26 AM
    johnecon2001

johnecon2001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab
    Downey front skid, Trail Gear U-Bolt flip, Toytec AAL, Total Chaos UCA's, Bilstein 5100's x4 + Eibach adjustable coils, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Custom Rear bumper, TRD OffRoad front tow hook, TRD Trail Team wheels, Federal Couragia M/T 265's, ARB rear locker + on board air (CKMA12), TRD shift knob, Alpine W205, TRD seat covers, Tom Woods 1 Piece drive shaft, Powermaster D2700, Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders.
    If you look on that PDF, the first image lists 6 bolts, the image under that lists 10 (5 per side). That would remove the entire assembly and make it easier to work with.

It's a heavy sumbitch either way.

To Top