1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

About to pull the trigger on a 98 - what to look for?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by rob feature, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Sep 10, 2011 at 2:30 PM
    rob feature

rob feature [OP] Tacos!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 V6 X-Cab SR5
    I've found the truck I think I've been looking for - 98 xcab, v6, 5spd, 4x4 - just about bone stock. The mileage is around 175,000 but the price is right. It's not too rough and not too pretty. I just wandered if there were any red flags that applied to that model. I didn't see any rust and it drove well. This is my first Taco, however, and I'm not sure I'm tuned in to everything I need to scrutinize. Please forgive my oversight if I missed some sort of FAQ, but I didn't find one handy.

I don't believe the current owner knows too much about its history, so it's going to be on me to spot potential issues.

Thanks in advance!

2. Sep 10, 2011 at 3:20 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS RAT Products

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    01 CUMTOY and 16 Sierra Denali
    View the build. Too much to list.
  3. Sep 10, 2011 at 3:22 PM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 DC TRD Off Road
    11 Color Matched Grille, Pro comp 7089s, 265/70/17 Wrangler Duratracs, Black Running Boards, Tinted Windows, Bed mat, Weathertech Floorliners
    Frame is one thing that comes to mind. Other than that, I think they are pretty bullet-proof. Others will chime in. Welcome to TW.

4. Sep 10, 2011 at 4:07 PM
    rob feature

rob feature [OP] Tacos!

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 V6 X-Cab SR5

Thanks! I took a pretty good look at the frame the first time I saw it, but I'll check it again. It looked solid. I didn't see any rust at all actually. I believe this one began life as a West Virginia truck and ended up here in Colorado somehow. That sort of alarmed me at first as it snows lots in WV. But it doesn't look like it's been subjected to extended salt exposure. And I've been told that CO doesn't use salt on the roads (just moved here).

And thanks for the welcome!

5. Sep 10, 2011 at 4:12 PM
    Tacomadude89

Tacomadude89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austen
    California
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD SR5, 3.4, 5spd
    -Bilstein 5100 Series shocks on all 4 corners -Rancho HD lift coils -1/4" Toytec driverside top plate spacer -Toytec 1" diff drop -Wheelers 1.5" AAL's -Toytec 1" lift shackles -Revtek extended length BPV bracket -285/75/16 BFG KO T/A's -Pro Comp rims -ET Conical tyle lug nuts -Spidertrax 1.5" wheel Spacers -CV Boot slide mod -TRD skid plate -Magnaflow 14" round muffler -Shortened tailpipe hidden behind framerail -Toyota bug deflector -Weathertech floormats -Black leather seat covers -Valentine 1 Radar Detector
    Yeah, I'd have it inspected for frame rust in particular. Might also ask about records proving the timing belt was changed.

Other than that, look it over like any other vehicle you would be inspecting.

To Top