1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

About to purchase full suspension!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by JL-3, May 24, 2018.

1. Jun 15, 2018 at 8:50 AM
    pairodice

pairodice Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    SF NM
    Vehicle:
    02 DCSB prerunner 4x4 manual
    Check the bushings also, they sent 1 set of frame bushings and no leaf bushings for the shackle end and a set of bushings for the front of the leafs. If you got the dakars they have the front bushings installed from OME

2. Jun 15, 2018 at 9:07 AM
    JL-3

JL-3 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colo Springs CO
    Roger.

What diameter of tubing for the brake bleeding?

3. Jun 15, 2018 at 10:25 AM
    JL-3

Member:
    Colo Springs CO
    What size bolt should I be picking up. AutoZone and Napa had no clue

4. Jun 15, 2018 at 3:35 PM
    pairodice

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    SF NM
    Vehicle:
    Hose I think was 1/8. Bolt is 4 1/2 long , 3 inch shoulder 10mm fine thread

5. Jun 15, 2018 at 4:34 PM
    JL-3

Member:
    Colo Springs CO
    So I grabbed a thing of tubing. 7/32" x 6'. Hopefully that does the job.

I checked. I have 4 long bushings and 4 short bushings for the greasable shackles. Went ahead and loaded the rear shock bushings (pain in the a$$).

Kicking this thing off early tomorrow morning.

Area51Runner likes this.
  6. Jun 15, 2018 at 5:19 PM
    pairodice

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    SF NM
    Vehicle:
    Might as well install the rear leaf bushings

7. Jun 15, 2018 at 6:14 PM
    JL-3

Member:
    Colo Springs CO
    Picked up the M14 x 100mm bolts for the forward bolts of the rear leaf springs. Here's hoping I don't have to use the Harbor Freight angle grinder and cutoff discs.

Went all the way up to Lowe's to get the ratcheting box end wrenches AND torque wrench.

Somehow I walked out with-OUT the box end wrenches. So glad they open at 6am.

Area51Runner likes this.
  8. Jun 15, 2018 at 6:40 PM
    Area51Runner

Area51Runner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern California, Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    02 3.4 DC TRD PreRunner 4WD SWAP
    Good luck - pics if you can. I should have my 881 kit from wheelers on Wed.

9. Jun 15, 2018 at 8:12 PM
    JL-3

Member:
    Colo Springs CO
    Will do. Gotta hit up Lowe's at 6am and then get crack'n.

Stupid question. Where does everybody do the measurements from? Is it ground to center of fender flare? Or center of hub to somewhere else?

10. Jun 15, 2018 at 8:13 PM
    Area51Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    I usually go with center of hub to bottom of fender flare

tcjacado likes this.
  11. Jun 15, 2018 at 8:36 PM
    JL-3

Member:
    Colo Springs CO
    Alright. I'll get those measurements before and after. As best I can, anyway.

Been a while since I had a wrench session. This should be interesting.... and fun!

12. Jun 17, 2018 at 9:49 PM
    JL-3

Member:
    Colo Springs CO
    Long post ahead. You have been warned. If you have specific questions and don't want to read all this, just hit me up with a PM. Another Warning: I made this pose at like 1030 PM, after finishing my night job (which is physically challenging), which came after getting my ass kicked by this project, and THEN having a glass of bourbon (no choice there, really). There will be grammar mistakes and stuff.

Let me start this thread off (post warning banner above) by saying that my family ROCKS!. My Mom stopped by for my first Father's Day and wound up assisting me when I was truly losing my sh*t (seriously... God Bless that Woman!). My Baby Sister also stopped by (more to see her Niece) and also lent a hand with this project.

Install is DONE! Father's day (my first) broke me off something proper today!

Let me apologize for not providing a write up or many pictures. I was in a time crunch (I work Sunday nights), and my cheap azz phone takes terrible pictures anyway. The Tacoma is used for my Sunday night job... so it was crucial that this was finished in time.

Was supposed to go down on Saturday but.... life happens.

So this morning I got fired up and got after it at around 8am. Finished around 630pm.

Had to stop in the middle to go to lowes for a tool (cut off the exahust).

Notes for others:

-If you are like me and meet the following criteria:
    --Have mild arthritis in both wrists
    --Have carpel tunnel in both fore-arms
    --Are larger than most (think Big Foot Size; not easily fit in tight areas)
    --Are out of shape
    --Are easily aggravated
    --Are stubborn, with a dash of OCD

^^My advice is to leave this to the professionals. As much as I appreciate the fact that I did this myself... an entire day spent wrenching for something that a Pro could knock out in 2-3 hours is a waste of resources. I should have been enjoying my first Father's Day (yes... I'm a dumb-ass).

LEAF SPRINGS:

-It became apparent that with the driver side leaf, I would have to remove that rubber brake line. Mother.Of.Gawd! This joker alone wasted 1.5hrs of my damn time.

-The flare nut wrench for the brake line did not work for me. There was nothing to brace against, and there is very little room. I just about rounded that nut out out. Barely got it tightened back in place with the extended brake line. If I had to do it over again, it would go to the professionals. The Hayne's manual was worthless for this task. I went with a 10mm open end and had to use a small vice grip on the other side of the removable clip just to get it out. This damages things.... but I had the wheeler's replacement on stand-by. Still not happy about it though. The nut on the hard line that stays with the truck is fairly rounded.

-The forward bolts for both leafs were seized. Had to use the cut-off discs. Went with a 4.5" disc (only needed one for both) and a Harbor Freight 15-20 angle grinder. So THANK YOU to all who chimed in and told me about that issue.

-The ratchet strap suggestion (I can't find the thread, sorry) was a life saver on the passenger (first one I did) leaf spring. Was able to do that one by my onsies. So another HUGE THANK YOU to whomever posted that up in a different thread. I can't find that thread again to save my life though.

-The ratchet strap didn't work on the driver's side though. That required some Tetris with the passenger side (after the brake line was replaced) to get the damn axle low enough to place the bolts. Had to have somebody press down on the axle so I could line up that bolt and get it through.

-PB BLASTER IS YOUR BFF! Be thorough and take the time to really really check which bolts you'll need to undo. I missed a handful, and some of them damn near rounded on me.

-Two sets of jack stands came in REAL handy here. Had to pull some Tetris with some flat stone bricks and wood blocks... but got it done.

FRONT COILS (the Tetris remarks above also apply here):

-Go ahead and disconnect them upper control arms. While you WILL get the factory struts/coils out without it.... disconnected the UCA for the OME install makes it stupid simple. NOTE-2: Using the floor jack under the lower control arm for the install of the OME assists in lining up the bolt with the hole. Have a screw driver and hammer to get it all the way through.

For ^THIS note. I tried just disconnecting the sway bar from the bolt that requires (didn't realize this at the time) the damn allen wrench. Go ahead and leave that alone playa.

Now that my rant is over, let me say that the OME full kit (881s with Dakar's) is EXACTLY what this truck was missing. Before the leafs even settled, it's PERFECT!

I don't have the measurements for after (will try to get them Monday after my day job). I have a few pictures. They're not that good (I will post them later). I am VERY happy with this. The Tacoma handles like a truck again. Fresh! I can actually handles curves in the highway without freaking out. No more rubbing. No more bottoming out. It handles the F*d up roads of Colorado Springs like a champ. No worries there! Can't wait to get it offroad (life permitting this summe.... damn it).

Sorry for the long post. Trying to get this out before it's gone from memory. Wish I had done it on Saturday when I had all day with no worries, but I'm a dumb-ass.

JDawg562 and Area51Runner like this.
  13. Jun 17, 2018 at 9:58 PM
    Area51Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    Congrats on the install brother... and Happy Fathers Day (#1)! Hopefully you had a few moments to spend some time with the little one. Kudos on the install, I'll be tackling this very same project hopefully this upcoming weekend.
    One positive for me, have an extra ride so I can take my time :fingerscrossed:

14. Jun 18, 2018 at 9:56 PM
    JL-3

Member:
    Colo Springs CO
    Thank you, and Thank you!

So I went back and collected my thoughts.

My lack of patience is what caused the problems (that's on par for me).

I took a picture of the brake line. The flare nut wrench DOES Work... if you know where to use it. Because of the location, and my inability to squeeze my Silver Back Gorilla sized frame into such a small space; I couldn't see it.

I hope the picture shows up for ya'll and helps anybody in need of info.

I still don't have measurements from after, but I will. The leafs should be settled soon, because I load the bed every night for my 2nd job. Can't say how much weight exactly. Can't even guess how much.

I will try to get pictures on level ground. My driveway (in and out) is NOT level.

So far though, I am LOVING this kit. Night and day difference. Worth EVERY penny! You won't be mad.

If you look at the picture, you can see the portion that looks like a wrench should fit on it. There isn't much of a lip to it. But a flare nut wrench would actually grab it, if you're patient. Would have made my life a LOT easier had I SEEN this damn thing.

0618181219.jpg

Oh. I used the sledge hammer (4lb I think) on the upper control arms. I followed the videos and hit just the knuckle portion, to break the UCA free. I had to use the floor jack under the knuckle (with a block of wood in between) to raise or lower the knuckle accordingly.

So glad this is over. Loving the new ride.

JDawg562 and Area51Runner like this.
  15. Jun 18, 2018 at 10:09 PM
    JL-3

Member:
    Colo Springs CO
    Here is a single picture after. It rained Sunday night and my phone doesn't take good pictures. That and my driveway has a slight angle to it.

No more rubbing. No more axle wrap. No more strange front suspension/steering vibrations/noises.

Seriously. I'm freaking HAPPY!
    0617181913.jpg

JDawg562, lukester78 and Area51Runner like this.
  16. Jun 19, 2018 at 4:21 PM
    taco03Trd

taco03Trd 03 rig trd v6

Member:
    First Name:
    Carlos
    Riverside ca
    Vehicle:
    03 DC prerunner trd v6 2wd
    Ome 881 5100's jba's looking for more
    Nice looking rig bro !! How much lift ?? I missed my ext cab but i dont regret getting the DC . Just need to tune up the suspension ..

17. Jun 20, 2018 at 4:42 PM
    Area51Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    Ordered my kit Friday, shipped Monday and arrived today. Damn if those leaf packs aren't bulky :rofl: Going to need to draft a helper I think. Ordered lower ball joints from Camelback today and will hold off until they arrive. Might as well replace them now only about 40k on these but hey, why not...

Thanks to OP for your recap. Will be looking over the entire thread again before proceeding.

432qrwefdsc.jpg

JDawg562 likes this.
  18. Jun 20, 2018 at 6:14 PM
    JL-3

Member:
    Colo Springs CO
    Awesome!

Wish i could find that other thread for the install. Really helped me out.

2 to 3 cans of PB Blaster. Many treatments up to the install date.

I will try to find that thread later tonight.

Area51Runner likes this.
  19. Jun 20, 2018 at 9:59 PM
    JL-3

Member:
    Colo Springs CO

Products Discussed in

To Top