1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ABS Disable Switch

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Spoon1179, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Nov 6, 2008 at 6:12 PM
    Spoon1179

Spoon1179 [OP] New Member

Member:
    San Clamente, CA
    Vehicle:
    2004 V6 TRD 4WD
    Volant Air Intake, Grey Wire Mod, Hayden 678 Transmission Cooler
    Anyone know how to rig a switch to turn off and back on the ABS in an 04 taco or similar??? Would be great for off roading to not have the ABS braking for me.

2. Nov 7, 2008 at 4:29 PM
    ubermx5

ubermx5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Clara CA
    Vehicle:
    98 2.4 5 speed
    K&N Air filter
    Wow here I sit thinking the ABS was a huge help.. but I do not off raod much as at all. When i did it was in a 2008 Landrover will full computer controlled everything.
    Damm thing drove it self over everything insight at 5mph...

Well 1 way might be to run a switch from the Fuse ground and be able to interrupt.

But this is a PURE GUESS, try this and I am not responble for what might happen.

I would worry about setting off Codes and getting screwed come time for Smogging.
    unless you can clear it.

I wish i had the write answer for you that would not hurt anything.

3. Nov 7, 2008 at 5:02 PM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    You have a V6 with the TRD Off Road Package, right? That means you have the e-locker. When the e-locker is engaged the ABS system is disabled. If you seriously want to manually disable your ABS 'whenever' (even without the e-locker) you might research how to manually trip whatever it is that disengages ABS when the e-locker is engaged.

4. Dec 8, 2008 at 3:07 PM
    offset442

offset442 Member

Member:
    you need a switch 12v source and a 1k ohm resistor, splice a wire in on pin 14 labeled EXI2 of the abs ecu the circuit is simple
    -
    +----12v--------switch on/off-----1k ohm resistor---pin 14 of abs ecu----done!!!
    -
    this is electrically the same signal that the 2 interlock switches generate generate when you go into 4 lo diff lock it takes the difflock detection switch, and the 4 low detection switch to power the same circuit, its possible you could find the circuit under the dash behind the glove box at the ECU and go

+---12v-----switch----pin L4 of the engine control computer---done!!

pin L4 according the the wireing diagrams is on the low side of the 1k resistor that already leads to the ABS unit, however this will make your truck think your in 4 low and limit the the transmission from shifting into 3rd, 4th and OD,

so that means

its back to the origanl idea, BUT now we need cut the wire leading to pin 14 of the ABS ECU, and solder in a diode in the correct direction to allow normal operation, once you have that , make your connection from the resistor and the switch between the diode and pin 14 of the abs ecu....

now if you installed the diode in the correct direction, the abs should be disabled by, 4 lo plus the diff lock, and when you flip you new handy switch, you can still get all the gears on your electronicly controlled transmission, there is only 2 ways to install the diode one of them is wrong

there is is

have fun

5. Dec 9, 2008 at 12:04 PM
    Spoon1179

Spoon1179 [OP] New Member

Member:
    San Clamente, CA
    Vehicle:
    2004 V6 TRD 4WD
    Volant Air Intake, Grey Wire Mod, Hayden 678 Transmission Cooler
    Damn dude, You are a freakin Genius. Have you done this mod on your own vehicle?? If so, do you happen to have some pictures of the mod? That would really help me, who is not so smart. lol.

6. Dec 10, 2008 at 1:15 PM
    offset442

offset442 Member

Member:
    Yes i did do it to my truck, I did not take any pictures, but its so simple a cave man can do it, just use the ABS and 4WD wiring diagrams from the FSM on this site

it works well, at first it locked me into just 1st and 2nd gears, thats when I looked at the 4wd circuit diagram and noticed the bit about the L4 or low 4wd pin on the powertrain ECU and it clicked that I needed the diode, its real simple most tacoms have the ABS ECU under the hood on the actual abs valve body so its just a matter of running a wire from a switched an "swamped" 12v source to pin 14 of the abs ecu

the tricky part is to cut the wire leading to pin 14 and splice in most any black plastic silver banded diode like a 1n222 the silver band denotes the anode end

(googlo "diode" and "resistor" if your not sure, chances are you have some old junk elecronic item around that you can smash and get one from without spending a dime. or check out this artical http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode)

once the diode is soldered in or "test rigged" in, put your truck in 4 Low and hit the diff lock switch if the abs light comes on you have the diode spliced in in the correct direction.

next what i did was solder the 1k ohm resistor on the abs side of the diode, and then soldered the wire to the resistor, I then taped everything up with electrical tape in a way that would prevent it ever from shorting out, or be pulled appart now whenever i go off i flip the switch i installed on the stearing colume and the abs light comes on............

hope that helps...........

Offset

To Top