1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ABS light blinking

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by moto932, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Apr 10, 2010 at 5:46 PM
    moto932

moto932 [OP] What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road
    Basically stock. OME 882s, HD Dakars and nitrochrgers, TG front bumper, custom rear bumper, 4Xinnovations sliders, RAT skids, Softopper, 255/85/16 ST MAXX's on 16" steelies, 1" B.O.R.A. wheel spacers Scangaugae II, deck plate mod, grey wire mod,ECGS bushing, diff breather relocation, alarm mod, defrost w/o compressor mod, de-badged, sockmonkey beside decals.
    quick question guys (hopefully.) My ABS light started blinking about a month ago. it wasnt flashing every time i drove it but it is doing it more frequently now. when it comes on i restart the truck and it doesn't come back on the rest of the drive. also, my scangauge isn't showing and codes either. any ideas guys? Thanks in advance!

2. Apr 11, 2010 at 9:02 AM
    moto932

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road
    Basically stock. OME 882s, HD Dakars and nitrochrgers, TG front bumper, custom rear bumper, 4Xinnovations sliders, RAT skids, Softopper, 255/85/16 ST MAXX's on 16" steelies, 1" B.O.R.A. wheel spacers Scangaugae II, deck plate mod, grey wire mod,ECGS bushing, diff breather relocation, alarm mod, defrost w/o compressor mod, de-badged, sockmonkey beside decals.
  3. Apr 11, 2010 at 4:39 PM
    moto932

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road
  4. Apr 11, 2010 at 8:39 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Hmm its a posibility that your ABS computer is separate from the main ECU witch means the only way to check is to put DLC in that maint mode. I know that is covered in FSM. That will tell you which sensor is bad. Now that does not mean sensor itself is bad it could be just dirty and throwing the code.

Geneiuus likes this.
  5. Jun 14, 2010 at 5:42 PM
    moto932

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road
    a little delayed but thanks for the help blue. what does DLC stand for though.

6. Jun 14, 2010 at 8:39 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    DLC - data link connector
    I looked at 2003 and looks separate if you look into section DIAGNOSTICS – ANTI–LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM you will find procedure to ge the code back. I had to do that ON my LC after I rebuild the axle and ABS was throwing the codes left and right on me. It turn out I did not sit one sensor correctly and that was it.

7. Jun 15, 2010 at 7:34 AM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    The ABS warning light should blink only when it's in 'test mode'. This mode is activated by either connecting a special handheld tester or bridging two pins in your DLC connector. The blinks can be decoded to indicate specific ABS fault code(s).

You said you have a ScanGauge. There's a longstanding issue where ScanGauge II's will cause pre-2005 Tacoma ABS indicator lights to come on. However, I don't recall whether the ABS lamp comes on continuously or blinks when this problem occurs.

Disconnect your ScanGauge and see if the ABS blinking behavior goes away. If it does, it's probably the ScanGauge / ABS interaction problem. If the blinking continues, that would mean your ABS has been flipped into test mode (and might mean a wiring fault somewhere).

8. Jun 15, 2010 at 7:41 AM
    TengoTaco

TengoTaco Newb

Member:
    La Quinta, CA
    Vehicle:
    2020 OR 4x4 Manual
    8112, SPC, Elka 2.0 rear and Icon AAL. About 1.5”
    X2 I had this issue. If you disconnect the SG and it goes away call the manufacturer. Tell them you want another cable and they will ship one out to you. I haven't had the problem since.

9. Jun 18, 2010 at 9:09 AM
    cctk2

cctk2 GLACIERBIRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    NorCal and Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '68 FJ40, '16 TRD AC OR A/T WHITE
    Accessories: SnugTop Rebel canopy AVS Window Rain Deflectors TACOMA 6' Bed Mat Weathertech Mud Guards (4) Scanguage (re-installed from the '02) Tekonsha Voyager Brake controller (Chalet A frame pop-up.) Vinyl letter insets for tailgate. Garmin CS60 GPS mounting. Other misc décor in the form of decals.
    Concerning the ScangaugeII:
    Has anyone here had any problems with the unit retaining memory? Heres the trouble Im having. It powers up fine. I enter the Setup info, and set the parameters I want to monitor. I typically turn the Display lighting off.
    Problem: More often than not, after turning the truck off, the SG will loose its memory. setup and monitor parameters gone. and it will power up with the Display lit again.
    Not every time, but seeing all this having changes when I start the truck so I have to re-enter everything isnt what I have patience for. I happens more oftern than not. Otherwise the unit performs nice.
    I got this through Amazon. Had a second unit sent to me, and its doing the same thing. Im wondering if its something Im doing wrong. Its not a difficult device to operate!
    Anyone with similar experiences?
    Chip K

Products Discussed in

To Top