1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ABS light

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Tacoguy, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Mar 5, 2010 at 8:27 PM
    Tacoguy

Tacoguy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma PreRunner V6 3.4 TRD
    Bed Liner, Running Boards, Cargo Net, Deck Plate Mod, K&N Air Filter, NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
    So for the last month I have noticed my ABS light coming on and going off randomly. It seemed to have started right after i hit the brakes pretty hard.

Now sometimes when I start the engine the ABS light comes on and flashes. Then when I turn the engine off and back on, it goes away. My fluid seems to be ok although never changed since 03. Also the brakes are the originals, but they seem to be good. Just squealing when cold.

Has anyone else ever have this happen before?

2. Mar 5, 2010 at 9:43 PM
    marchev90

marchev90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 TRD 4x4 6spd
    I had the exact same thing happen to my old ranger unfortunately I never found a solution for it...

3. Nov 25, 2010 at 8:14 PM
    MoMatt

MoMatt Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 Ltd / TRD Stock
    Grey wire mod
    Bringing this back to life. I haven't been able to find any other posts about this.

I have a '98 Tacoma that I bought in SoCal (warm temps) a year ago. ABS light has always been on; ever since I bought it.

Moved to Colorado this summer and now that it's cold (COLD!) out, the ABS light disappeared! It'll stay off until the ambient temp warms up a bit (near freezing, maybe a bit less).

I was driving on snow in the cold last weekend, and the ABS light wasn't on, so it was my first chance to test the ABS.

The ABS will activate when the wheels lock up, and immediately there's no stopping power (can feel the brakes pulse, but no braking action). Shortly after that there's a loud "TWAAAAANG" like a thick spring being plucked; it sounds like it comes from the Pax side at the firewall (where the ABS unit is), but that may be my imagination.

The noise sounds so expensive that I then release the brake pedal for fear of breaking something.

I was just fine without ABS, but now that it attempts to work and fails, I need to fix it. Have done zero diagnosis otherwise.

Any takers?

4. Nov 25, 2010 at 10:40 PM
    mizzac

mizzac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mac
    Montana/CO
    Vehicle:
    Yota-less
    Stickers
    My light was on and I found out, after many unsucessful trip to local shops, that it was because my ABS cable was disconected. But as soon as I reconected it my ABS will kick on any time I am coming to a slow stop but the light is off.

5. Nov 26, 2010 at 6:37 AM
    Nowhereman04

Nowhereman04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tar Hill Blue NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 04 DC 4x4 SR5 TRD OFF ROAD
    Bilstein 5100's front, Bilstein 5125's rear
    Mine started doing this last winter after i hit a patch of ice and activated the ABS. i took it to a local shop and they took out the sensors and blew them out with air and cleaned the connectors. he then reset the code in the computer. he is not really sure what the problem was. but this fixed my problem. he thinks the ABS system probably had a "brain fart" when i hit the ice.

6. Nov 26, 2010 at 9:41 AM
    MoMatt

MoMatt Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 Ltd / TRD Stock
    Grey wire mod
    That's a good place to start. Sensors meaning the wheel sensors at each wheel?

Where is this connection? I would be fine with just disabling it all together.

7. Nov 27, 2010 at 4:55 AM
    Nowhereman04

Nowhereman04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tar Hill Blue NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 04 DC 4x4 SR5 TRD OFF ROAD
    Bilstein 5100's front, Bilstein 5125's rear

Yes, the sensors on the rear wheels. When he ran the code it was saying left rear sensor failure. I almost shit when he told me how much it was. Something like $260. But he said he was gonna clean both rear one's 1st. He said he had encountered that problem before. And thankfully it fixed my problem. Cost me $10!!:D

Products Discussed in

To Top