1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ABS/SRS code reader

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Lee2hats, Feb 16, 2024.

1. Feb 16, 2024 at 7:46 AM
    Lee2hats

Lee2hats [OP] Member

Member:
    I've been having a hard time finding code readers that are able to read ABS and SRS codes on my 2006 sr5.

I bought an Autel device since the description said it was compatible but its just compatible to read check engine lights.

I've been down a bit of a rabbit hole trying to find the exact one and would appreciate it if anyone could recommend a reader that they have that specifically reads and clears those system codes.

Thanks

2. Feb 16, 2024 at 9:39 AM
    RockfordTaco2006

RockfordTaco2006 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alexander
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    2 Inch Lift
    The biggest problem with buying a scan tool is you never know what features it'll offer for YOUR truck. That Autel might do what you want but not on your truck. Harbor Freight has a new ipad one that looks interesting. I bought an XTool D8. no regrets, great tool. $800 is expensive but the $5000 option makes $800 look like the way to go. Good Luck.

3. Feb 16, 2024 at 4:34 PM
    Dm93

Dm93 Test Don't Guess

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC OR 6spd 4x4
    Predator tube steps, Ranch Hand grill guard, Magnaflow CatBack exhaust, Toyota tool box & bed mat, 2LO Module by @Up2NoGood, Rearview Compass/Temp Mirror, Tune by @JustDSM.
    There's a ton of scan tools out there, enhanced scanners can range from around $100 to over $10,000 it just depends on the brand and what functions it has, typically your gona be in the $400-500 range for a decent standalone full function scanner with bidirectional support.

If you have a decent Android or Iphone the ThinkDiag bluetooth dongle is about the cheapest full function scan tool at ~$89 but it does cost around $70 a year for the enhanced functions, it comes with 1 year free and they run specials pretty often. There is also the TopDon TopScan in this category, I have not tried it yet but it appears to be very similar to the ThinkDiag at a lower price point.

If you want something full featured that's standalone the Autel MK808S $479 supports all systems and has active test support.
    If you don't need active test support but want all systems codes and data there's the Autel MD 808 Pro at $279

There are plenty of offerings from Autel, Launch, ThinkCar, TopDon and others with prices all over the place just do your research before buying and make sure what your looking at has the functions you want.

Just a disclaimer I don't own the MK 808S or the MD 808 but I do have a MS 906BT and am happy with it, I also have the ThinkDiag and it seems to work good as well although it doesn't seem to like Chrysler stuff all that much.
    I also have a SnapOn Verus Edge that is my daily but that one is a bit beyond the DIY budget.

The prices in the video below aren't valid anymore but Ivan did an overview of some scan tools and other equipment on black friday.
    https://youtu.be/TZRcAL--4R0?si=i3UB3Dcq33-Iy-rr

AllTacosFloat likes this.
  4. Mar 31, 2024 at 4:19 PM
    Lee2hats

Lee2hats [OP] Member

Member:
    Just wanted to follow up. I found this one, the Ancel TD700. Its specific for toyotas and provides full access. I've managed to diagnose air bag issue and working through ABS diagnoses now. It seems very specific for toyota so maybe not great if you need one for multiple vehicles but I've been very pleased with the features for my truck.

Its available on Amazon but significantly cheaper if you go through Aliexpress.

5. Mar 31, 2024 at 6:01 PM
    hwntaco20

hwntaco20 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Offroad 2wd
    I have that 1, emailed the seller cple times to verify it could do what I wanted, seller replied, seems pretty good so far.

Lee2hats[OP] likes this.
  6. Mar 31, 2024 at 6:18 PM
    zguy1

zguy1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    I used this Veepak OBD2 scan tool. You will need the OBD Fusion app plus the Toyota enhanced diagnostics plugin. The Toyota plugin will allow you to read the ABS module plus read transmission temperatures if you need to later.

The Veepak is around $30. The OBD Fusion app is $10 and the Toyota enhanced plugin per model year is $14.99. All in you should be around $60.

To Top