1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AC Controls Disassembly - Pics

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by m3zy6, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Aug 3, 2010 at 10:49 AM
    m3zy6

m3zy6 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRDSport AC 6spd 4x4
    EDIT - To see how I ended up modding my AC controls and clock check out this thread -
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/106431-my-ac-controls-light-mod-how.html

I took apart my AC controls today to see if I could figure out a way to mod the lighting. I am going to try to make some clear plexi knob inserts, to replace the orange ones, and then tent them blue with something. That combined with swapping out the two button LEDs should at least help the AC flow with my gauge LEDs.
    I figured I might as well post the exploded pics so maybe someone else can come up with something. The last two pics show how the detent ball is supposed to go for reassembly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Aug 3, 2010 at 11:04 AM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    I think you can replace the orange clips with hot glue. I am going to try that eventually. No matter what I can't get them to turn blue with the orange clip in there.

Some notes:

Be very careful with the white clips, they will snap with too much pressure. Also popping it apart is made way easier by pushing up on the metal shafts the knobs connect to while prying the tabs with a small flat-head.

Work on a towel or you will scratch up the paint on the face. If you do scratch it up silver sharpie will work as touch-up paint.

If you reassemble and the fans only turn on when in HI but then only as if it was in Low you forgot to put the big spring in the fan speed selector.

LEDs for AC and Int Circ can be swapped with any 3V 3mm

All the knobs are interchangeable

No, the big clear thingy isn't necessary if you are tight on space after adding LEDs or something.

No the million screws aren't all necessary except for the two that hold the speed selector in place.

Power to the stock bulbs is ~12V

3. Aug 3, 2010 at 11:17 AM
    m3zy6

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRDSport AC 6spd 4x4
    I hadnt thought about that. Im going to look around for some blue plexi first, but if I cant get some I'll try it.

lol, yeah, you can see I broke one in the last pic

Great, Im heading to Radioshack in a few to try to get some.

How much dimmer do the controls get without it though? It would seem that some parts, the buttons in particular, don't get any light other than from the "light pipes."

4. Aug 3, 2010 at 11:18 AM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
  5. Aug 3, 2010 at 11:53 AM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra CM 5.7
    thanks! appreciate the pics. i have been wanting to do everything red in there (as any other color wont work!), but wanted to have a game plan before i tore in there!

6. Aug 4, 2010 at 4:53 AM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    $5 all you have to do is hit the stock light with a red sharpie.

LEDs I had to order online.

The clear thing does make getting light to the knobs impossible stock, but if you actually need to leave it out after adding a bunch of LEDs you aren't going to have that problem anymore.

7. Aug 4, 2010 at 7:27 AM
    m3zy6

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRDSport AC 6spd 4x4
    My pleasure, glad I could return the favor. Your posts have given me the motivation to start all these lighting mods.

Flight, I didnt end up having any luck finding the LEDs at Radioshack, but the guy there sent me to a little place down the street that hooked me up. Thanks for the info, its been instrumental!

I have continued my exploration of the AC controls in a new thread, so if you want to see what I ended up doing check it out here-
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/106431-my-ac-controls-light-mod-how.html

Thanks all.

8. Sep 2, 2010 at 4:30 PM
    shredtacoma

shredtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    SOCAL
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner Debadged with snugtop
    Camburg lift, ProComp rims, Nitto Terragrappler tires, snugtop, Flowmaster exhaust and Airraid intake
    u should try to dye the glue get like rite dye or food coloring and just leet the gluse soak.
    maybe it will work

9. Nov 25, 2010 at 4:28 PM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
  10. Feb 12, 2012 at 7:09 AM
    07TacoRidah

07TacoRidah SHHHH, this is interesting

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Base Model Access Cab
    Engine bay: aFe Pro Dry filter Secondary air filter deleted Sokie Tech hood damper kit OReiley battery terminals Big 3 upgrade (0g wiring) 2012 Headlight swap HID kit (headlight 6k/fog light 3k) Sylvania Zevo LED turn signals w/hyper flash resistors Rear back up light GY6 bulb Bullz Audio 0g wire Exterior: Dynamik Retro Projector style headlight housing Depo Euro Black Altezza LED tails 2012 front grill/bumper cover w/ fog light and hood swap Rear bumper swap (to chrome, painted w/bedliner paint) 99 Cents Store tailgate lock Suspension: XR Bilsteins Universal Air Suspension strut bag Custom UCA's DJM 4" rear drop kit 1" spindle spacer kit 4x4 leaf pack swap (middle leaf removed) Air Lift rear helper springs 4 Siria (Asco) 3/8" air valves 3 gallon air tank 1/4' air lines 90's Acura Integra door switches to air valves ViAir 450 air compressor Rims: 18x10 Work VS-KF front w/5" lip 18x11 Work VS-KF rear w/6" lip 225/40/18 tires all around Sick Speed 3 piece spike lug nuts Pepboys valve stem caps 1" wheel spacers all around Interior: Wink Mirror rear view Center console lid fabric Metra Dash kit Kenwood bluetooth headunit Hifonics Zeus ZXi 6410 PB 6 1/2" component speakers up front 10" single Hifonics subwoofer 10" sealed angled box Katana shift knob
  11. Feb 12, 2012 at 7:59 AM
    Jones

Jones Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 SSM Prerunner TRD-OFFROAD
    Front: 5100@1.75 with SR5 coils; Rear: 5100 and 1.5 Toytec aal; Tires: Hankook 265/75R16 RF08 ATM; Wheels: powdercoated off-road wheels with FJ TRD center caps
    This is not normal. I would pull it out and take is all a part and see what is not lining up right. It should click at each turn between the locations.

The spring that pushes the little red ball might not be in there right.

12. Feb 12, 2012 at 8:04 AM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Engine bay: aFe Pro Dry filter Secondary air filter deleted Sokie Tech hood damper kit OReiley battery terminals Big 3 upgrade (0g wiring) 2012 Headlight swap HID kit (headlight 6k/fog light 3k) Sylvania Zevo LED turn signals w/hyper flash resistors Rear back up light GY6 bulb Bullz Audio 0g wire Exterior: Dynamik Retro Projector style headlight housing Depo Euro Black Altezza LED tails 2012 front grill/bumper cover w/ fog light and hood swap Rear bumper swap (to chrome, painted w/bedliner paint) 99 Cents Store tailgate lock Suspension: XR Bilsteins Universal Air Suspension strut bag Custom UCA's DJM 4" rear drop kit 1" spindle spacer kit 4x4 leaf pack swap (middle leaf removed) Air Lift rear helper springs 4 Siria (Asco) 3/8" air valves 3 gallon air tank 1/4' air lines 90's Acura Integra door switches to air valves ViAir 450 air compressor Rims: 18x10 Work VS-KF front w/5" lip 18x11 Work VS-KF rear w/6" lip 225/40/18 tires all around Sick Speed 3 piece spike lug nuts Pepboys valve stem caps 1" wheel spacers all around Interior: Wink Mirror rear view Center console lid fabric Metra Dash kit Kenwood bluetooth headunit Hifonics Zeus ZXi 6410 PB 6 1/2" component speakers up front 10" single Hifonics subwoofer 10" sealed angled box Katana shift knob
    cool, when I was taking it all apart (R.I.P. the two tabs for this dial, thank goodness for the other three), I was paying more attention to not losing that red ball, and when I set the dial down, the stem and all got pushed up, I just made sure to not lose any of the parts while continuing the disassembly.

13. Feb 12, 2012 at 4:49 PM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:

FIXED!!! lol, I didn't poke the red ball in where that one small spring is. Has to fit inside it, I used a small flat head screw driver to poke it in. :D

14. Mar 27, 2012 at 8:09 PM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ok so now for some reason the second light (the one that lights up the a/c and the direction knob, the one that directs the air flow) won't light up with the rest of the lights unless I take out the directional dial knob. :mad: anyone have this problem? the light isn't bad or anything, I just HAVE TO take out the directional knob just to get the damn light to turn on.

15. Aug 21, 2012 at 5:33 PM
    MrsPib

MrsPib Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angie
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TOYOTAS, TOYOTAS EVERYWHERE
    Putting everything back together, my fan speed selector seems very mushy/ill-timed clicks/and stiff at one-from-"HI". I haven't put it back in the truck yet, but I'm assuming the fan speeds will no longer correlate with the face plate.

What did I do wrong? I have grease, the little red ball, the little spring below the ball (though, that spring doesn't stick out much), and the large dial spring.

WHEW! Fixed as well. The little red ball needed to be pushed down to seat with the small spring.

16. Feb 19, 2017 at 2:46 AM
    Subtle

Subtle New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    IMG_2717.jpg Hi, does anyone know where the bigger stubby spring goes?

Products Discussed in

To Top