1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AC is dead. where to start?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Taco47, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Jul 7, 2014 at 9:15 PM
    Taco47

Taco47 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Norcal
    Vehicle:
    2016 2TR 5-Speed
    the ac on my 96 3rz dosent work. I rebuilt the engine but I bought the truck with the engine in the truck bed so I dont know if it worked before. I charged the system and the pressure shot up to the max with a 1/4 of a small can. I think the pressure is not passing through the pump. Notable idle increase when switch is pressed, switch lights up, everything is connected. I did run the pump dry for a few weeks. AC systems are new to me and any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Jul 7, 2014 at 9:45 PM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    Does the compressor turn or is it seized?

3. Jul 7, 2014 at 10:02 PM
    Styx586

Styx586 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terrance
    Lake Elsinore, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport, 2001 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Check to see if the compressor actually engages, u can tell by looking at the front of the pulley and have someone turn on the AC. you'll know when it comes on, if nothing happens u could have a bad compressor clutch, which I doubt because u said ur idle increases when u switch it on.

Then u can feel the AC lines for temp. The discharge line coming out of the compressor should be HOT. be careful when touching it, it's the one that leads to the top of the condenser (the thing that looks like a radiator in front of ur actual radiator). Then check the other line that goes back into the compressor, it should be very cold. Then report back. But if I were you I'd have the system professionally charged. There is a spec that says exactly how much refrigerant should be in the system as well as oil that keeps the compressor lubricated. Also, if you have manifold gauges u can hook them up and look at ur pressures. The low side (cold) should be from 22-48 psi if you have an FOT system. 10-30 psi for a TXV system. while the high side(hot) should vary depending on ambient temp.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  4. Jul 7, 2014 at 10:46 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    If you just assembled the system out of the bed and shot a can of auto parts store "freon" onto it then chances are the AC system is ruined.
    You might get lucky and an AC shop may be able to purge and dry the system, but the moisture in the air in the system will quickly destroy the compressor, and there is not enough oil (or "freon") in 1/4 of a can to properly charge the system.

You have to get the air out.

5. Jul 8, 2014 at 6:18 AM
    Andy.G

Andy.G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma sx 4x4 2.7 5 speed
    Started automatic. Swapped to manual
    Best to take to a pro at this point. Like Styx and Rich said, it requires lubricating oil made for that as well as 134. Hey Styx, do you wrench for a living? Seems like you have a lot of knowledge!lol

6. Jul 8, 2014 at 11:31 AM
    Styx586

Styx586 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terrance
    Lake Elsinore, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport, 2001 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Thanks! I take that as a compliment... I work at a tire shop for now but I'm almost done with the automotive program at UTI. And I've been working on cars/trucks/bikes pretty much all my life

7. Jul 8, 2014 at 12:45 PM
    dispatch55126

dispatch55126 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xtracab SR5
    Complete OME kit w/ 881's and dakars. All-Pro Sliders, CB, HAM Radio and various other minor stuff.
    Another thing to check is the dehydrator. There is a view port at the top and when the A/C is running properly, you'll see bubbles flowing. If you don't see bubbles, the system is either not charged or the compressor is not flowing.

Its located on the driver side in between the radiator and headlight housing.

8. Jul 8, 2014 at 3:32 PM
    Andy.G

Andy.G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma sx 4x4 2.7 5 speed
    Started automatic. Swapped to manual
    It is a compliment Styx! Impressive knowledge and drive to learn more. Good qualities in this world.

Products Discussed in

To Top