1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AC not super cool

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by texastaco81, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Jul 22, 2011 at 1:06 PM
    texastaco81

texastaco81 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner SR5 V6
    Hey all,

About a month back I had my truck in the shop and they filled up the AC coolant and checked everything out. Well, today was a REAL hot day, around 101. Was driving around town in stop and go traffic and my AC would cool, but it just wasn't doing the job. I even had it on full blast with recirculation. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. Jul 23, 2011 at 5:35 PM
    McBride513

McBride513 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Cincinnati
    Vehicle:
    04 4x4 TRD
    If they put dye in it, then the shop should try to find the leak for free. Take it back to them and see what they say.

3. Jul 23, 2011 at 8:11 PM
    doodle66

doodle66 Texas Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    central tx.
    Vehicle:
    03 dbl cab blk
    deck plate mod, cold air scoop, K&N, fog light mod, aux. lights,
    Hey mann, i'm in the Temple area. the air in my 03 is pretty good at best, maybe once a week i notice it seems to do really well. remember that the outside air must move through the grille and condenser fast enough to cool it down. in stop and go, it is tough for your system to cool. these trucks dont have a seperate fan to suck air into the grille just for the ac like most. these systems are very sensitive, if everything is not just right, it wont perform well.

4. Jul 24, 2011 at 6:57 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS RAT Products

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    01 CUMTOY and 16 Sierra Denali
    View the build. Too much to list.
    Trying to cool air over 40 degrees in a second is like sarah palin shutting her mouth. It just doesn't happen.

5. Jul 24, 2011 at 8:22 AM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    one suggestion would be to put a thermometer in the supply vent next time you suspect a problem and see what your discharge air temp is inside the vehicle. Also check the temp where the return is and then subtract the 2 and you have your Delta T. This can help determine the performance of the system.

all those above are mentioning good things. there are other factors in affect too. may need to have it back in the shop for another check. if you want to nail them down when they check it, have them tell you the high and low side pressures. and also ask them what the spec is for these pressures for your truck at idle and also at cruising speed. this will force them to give you definate data and not just tell you they think it is better.

To Top