1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ac vent automatically opens

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hecty, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Jan 19, 2012 at 11:50 PM
    hecty

hecty [OP] Member

Member:
    I got my '11 dc trd taco in september and i realized that my ac vents open automatically.... it'll be closed on the freeway, and all of a sudden i feel a rush of air coming from the ac... wtf? and sometimes my ac smells funny. again wtf? anyone else have these problems?

2. Jan 20, 2012 at 8:01 AM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    You can look up the AC smell in the General Automotive forum.

As for the AC vent opening by itself, are you turning the temp dial all the way to the cold side? If you turn it all the way, it automatically turns on the AC.

3. Jan 20, 2012 at 8:37 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    quack quack

4. Jan 20, 2012 at 8:44 AM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Essex county NY
    Vehicle:
    23 trd OR DCSB 4x4 silver
    a cross on my rearview Circle mirror Scotch guard seats
    Do the vent louvers on the dash mechanically open?

The recirculate turns on automatically if you turn the ac on; I turn recirc off so as to keep air fresh and not get fog on windows.

To reduce / eliminate smells the manual says: Turn off recirculate before your park. I take it step further and turn off AC (in warm months) a mile or so before I park.

5. Jan 20, 2012 at 10:05 AM
    nashi

nashi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 TRD Sport
    4x4, Short Bed, Entune, Bed Step, Bed Extender, Cat Back Exhaust, aFe Pro Dry Filter
    In the '12s not sure about the other trucks, the Recirculation system turns off if the temp lowers outside or if you're on the Floor / Defrost setting. You can override the recirculation opening automatically if you press the recirculation button for 2 seconds it will not open automatically until the truck is turned off then back on. Or turn the dial to the foot / defrost selector.

Just read about it in my manual cuz I was curious.

6. Jan 30, 2012 at 9:18 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Yes on my 11 the recirculation button disengages on its own. I took it to the dealer & they said it is normal. :mad: The service guy said "it is tied into the climate control, when the cab reaches a certain temperature the recirculation disengages." I think this is a load of crap. My 05 never did this.

I like controlling the recirc on my own. Nothing worse than being behind a smoking vehicle & the recirc turns off on its own!

7. Jan 30, 2012 at 11:29 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    I saw what others wrote about holding it for 2-3 seconds. But you have to do it everytime you start the vehicle. This shouldn't be an issue. Toyota should have kept it like it was, where you controlled it.

8. Jan 31, 2012 at 6:58 AM
    WV150

WV150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Trifecta Tonneau Cover
    The next redesign you will have a choice. Package #1 The total automatic { we will think for you package}.This will control heater/ac systems,transmission shifting,audio,4X4.All you will have to do is keep you hands on the wheel and turn left or right.Package #2 will be the {think for your self package}.The {think for yourself package} will become obsolete buy 2020.By that time someone may be making all our decisions for us and we will not be smart enough to control our heater/ac systems.

Products Discussed in

To Top