1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Accelerator Pedal Recall Update

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Agent475, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Jan 7, 2010 at 9:11 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 [OP] "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    I did a search and couldn't find any updates... So sorry if this is a repost...

Source: www.driverside.com

Recall Details

Issued: 2009-10-06
    DESCRIPTION OF ISSUE

A STUCK OPEN ACCELERATOR PEDAL MAY RESULT IN VERY HIGH VEHICLE SPEEDS AND MAKE IT DIFFICULT TO STOP THE VEHICLE, WHICH COULD CAUSE A CRASH, SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH.

DESCRIPTION OF COMPONENT
    VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:ACCELERATOR PEDAL

RESOLUTION
    TOYOTA FILED AN AMENDED DEFECT REPORT ON NOVEMBER 25, 2009, STATING THAT DEALERS WILL MODIFY THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL AND, ON CERTAIN VEHICLES, ALTER THE SHAPE OF THE FLOOR SURFACE UNDER THE PEDAL. THESE CHANGES ADDRESS THE RISK OF PEDAL ENTRAPMENT DUE TO INTERFERENCE WITH THE FLOOR MAT. REDESIGNED ACCELERATOR PEDALS WILL BECOME AVAILABLE BEGINNING IN APRIL 2010 AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE ANY MODIFIED PEDAL WITH THE NEW PEDAL IF DESIRED. ALSO, DEALERS WILL REPLACE ANY GENUINE TOYOTA OR LEXUS ALL-WEATHER FLOOR MATS WITH REDESIGNED ALL-WEATHER MATS, OR REPURCHASE THE PREVIOUS MATS FROM OWNERS WHO DO NOT WANT THE NEW ONES. ADDITIONALLY, SOFTWARE MODIFICATIONS WILL BE INSTALLED ON CAMRY, AVALON AND LEXUS ES 350, IS 350 AND IS 250 MODELS THAT WILL ENSURE THAT THE BRAKE OVERRIDES THE ACCELERATOR IN THE EVENT BOTH BRAKE AND ACCELERATOR PEDALS ARE APPLIED. TOYOTA WILL BEGIN MAILING LETTERS TO OWNERS IN DECEMBER 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT TOYOTA AT 1-800-331-4331, LEXUS AT 1-800-255-3987.

NOTES

TOYOTA RECALL NO. 90L.OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

P.S. www.driverside.com is a pretty decent site that I use for automatic service reminders...

2. Jan 7, 2010 at 9:48 AM
    SManZ

SManZ el tráfico más lento se queda derecha

Member:
    Haymarket, VA
    Vehicle:
    '10 Supercharged 4x4 Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Anybody have a picture of one of these dealer modified pedals? I'm imagining a furry mess created by an angle grinder.

3. Jan 7, 2010 at 9:49 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Just east of crazy

Member:
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Toyo A30 tires, Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover.
    One more reason they are not touching my pedal.

4. Jan 7, 2010 at 9:54 AM
    bishtacova

bishtacova Don't buy a Ford

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC PreRunner V6
    4 leaf TSB, reflash ECM, Eurostyle antenna, thule roof rack, bed extender
    I was told all techs would be attending training to modify the pedals. Needless to say they won't be touching mine...

5. Jan 7, 2010 at 10:19 AM
    SManZ

SManZ el tráfico más lento se queda derecha

Member:
    Haymarket, VA
    Vehicle:
    '10 Supercharged 4x4 Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Found this thread via Google;

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f37/toyota-lexus-dealers-trim-gas-pedals-w-pics-87190/

Its not direct from Toyota, but its the best I could find;
    "We will have to remove the gas pedal from the vehicle and place it on a vise. Using the gauge, we are to mark the amount to be removed and cut it off. After this, we take the sanding wheel and angle the edges to make a smooth contoured surface that both looks nice and will not stick to the floor carpet or floor mat."

[​IMG]

Looks like the angle grinder guess was spot on...
    Now I wonder if customers will have the option to opt out of this modification or if it will be automatically done if the vehicle is brought in for any reason, including non-related warranty work.

6. Jan 7, 2010 at 10:23 AM
    BeachBoy

BeachBoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT & QC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC LB Sport+Leather
    Icon Extended COs / Camburg UCA / ATX Predator Teflon / Mickey Thompson MTZ / Color-Matched emblems / All-Pro Bumper & skids / Stubbs HD-SKO / Alcans custom leafs / U-Bolt flip / Icon rear resi shocks / Rear Bumper
    I asked my dealer and they didn't have any instructions yet aside from removing the mat and putting it on the back... this is in canada though

7. Jan 7, 2010 at 10:29 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    They're supposed to have a more permanent pedal design sometime this year.

They've already instructed us to remove the floor mats. Getting the pedal 'cut' allows you to put the floor mat back in. Whooopie doo!

They should've just offered FREE Papar floor mats - and save themselves a boat load of labor costs & paperwork to cut the pedals down. :rolleyes:

8. Jan 7, 2010 at 10:31 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tundra, double cab.
    LED interior lights, stubby antenna, Pioneer in dash screen, good driver mod.
    I wonder if they would replace mine with a footprint gas pedal:D

9. Jan 7, 2010 at 10:45 AM
    Agent475

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    I don't understand why they cannot just take off the old pedal and put on a new, factory made, pedal.

10. Jan 7, 2010 at 10:58 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    That's what they're supposed to do eventually anyway..... They're supposed to come up with a permanent pedal assembly sometime this year.

11. Jan 7, 2010 at 11:04 AM
    calicoupe

calicoupe Well-Known Member

Member:
    I think the new pedal design will come in April 2010......anybody have any more data to add?

12. Jan 7, 2010 at 11:06 AM
    Soundwave

Soundwave Well-Known Member

Member:
    B.C. Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD sport Double Cab 4x4
    OEM Roof rack
    IF UNCONTROLLED ACCELERATION OCCURS...PUT THE DAMN THING IN NEUTRAL!!! THEN HIT THE BRAKES

The serious crashes in the faulty Toyota's have been the result of the driver stomping on the brakes and fighting with the vehicle while the throttle is wide open! USE YOUR HEAD PEOPLE!!!

13. Jan 7, 2010 at 11:10 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OFFROAD 4x4 VSC/TRAC/DAC/HAC
    snugtop, piaa, weathertech, westin, oem bed mat, trd seat covers, avs inchannel vent visors, 2" suspension lift, front diff drop, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extention & reroute, front window tint, cat theft protection plate, tailgate clamp mod, xpel headlight/foglight protecters, oem block heater, bfg 265/75R/16 a/t k/o's, cabin air rodent protection screen, rcbs illuminated 4X4 switch mod
    I can't see ever having an issue with the gas pedal sticking with Weathertech floor mats secured in place with the 2 floor tabs, but I think for resale purposes it might not be a bad idea to have this work done. I can only imagine the first thing someone is going to ask when looking to buy the truck is if the gas pedal recall work got done after hearing all the news reports about this problem.

14. Jan 7, 2010 at 11:27 AM
    Crom

Crom Outside...

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Overland Build
    Millions
    I'll stick to the recall notice floormat mod.

[​IMG]

15. Jan 7, 2010 at 11:28 AM
    10silvertaco

10silvertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Vehicle:
    no longer own Tacoma, now own 2011 Outback
    I was at the dealership last Monday for 10,000 miles service. I also told them to replace the broken clip for the carpet mat. I asked the tech if there is any recall for the mat or pedal.
    She told me all of the tech still in training to modify the pedals. Before they modify the pedal, they will test it and push the gas pedal in to see if it was far away from car mat or all weather mat not too close to gas pedal.
    As for me, I test myself that my gas pedal is far away from car mat. They are not touch my gas pedal.

16. Jan 7, 2010 at 5:44 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    In training to cut rubber. Must be intense.

17. Jan 7, 2010 at 5:55 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Fuck. That.

I'll stick to knowing how to drive, and installing my floormats correctly, thanks.

18. Jan 13, 2010 at 11:19 AM
    Agent475

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Here is yet another updated solution:

Source: http://www.thecarconnection.com/mar...ide-system-to-counter-unintended-acceleration

After a recall of 3.8 million vehicles, a quick zip-tie fix and several years of struggling with unintended acceleration claims, Toyota appears to have found a solution--for future vehicles, at least. The company has already begun fitting a brake override system to its cars.
    The new brake override system enables the car to return the engine to idle if it senses the driver applying the brakes but unable to slow the car, keeping a racing engine from pushing the car past its limits. Installation on some cars began this month, and Toyota North America president Yoshi Inaba says it'll be standard on all Toyota and Lexus cars by the end of the year.
    The first cars to get the upgrade are the Toyota Camry and Lexus ES 350, the models at the center of the latest safety issue.
    Finding a satisfactory resolution to the problem will no doubt be a relief to Toyota, as it has struggled with the issue since 2007. After several incidents, at least one of which was fatal, Toyota followed up its 2007 action in mid-2009. An interim solution involving zip-ties was found, followed by a decision to shorten and replace the accelerator pedals themselves, but the newly-announced emergency brake override system provides a solution even in cases where the floor mats or pedals weren't the issue.
    It appears Toyota's post-facto remedies referenced above will remain the only solutions for existing cars.
    Models that were affected by the safety issue include:
    2007-2010 Toyota Camry
    2005-2010 Toyota Avalon
    2004-2009 Toyota Prius
    2005-2010 Toyota Tacoma
    2007-2010 Toyota Tundra
    2007-2010 Lexus ES 350
    2006-2010 Lexus IS 250 and Lexus IS 350
    [Auto News - sub. req.]

19. Jan 21, 2010 at 3:49 PM
    Crom

Crom Outside...

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Overland Build
    Millions
    TORRANCE, Calif., January 21, 2010 -- Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc, today announced it would recall approximately 2.3 million vehicles to correct sticking accelerator pedals on specific Toyota Division models. This action is separate from the on-going recall of approximately 4.2 million Toyota and Lexus vehicles to reduce the risk of pedal entrapment by incorrect or out of place accessory floor mats. Approximately 1.7 million Toyota Division vehicles are subject to both separate recall actions. http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/toyota-consumer-safety-advisory-102572.aspx

20. Jan 21, 2010 at 3:52 PM
    skulltacoma

skulltacoma Make more better!

Member:
    First Name:
    BEN
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 toyota tacoma trd modified
    CAI, dynomax turbo exhaust system,tinted windows medium on the fronts to match the backs, hid kit hi and low beam, pop and lock tailgate, painted calipers red with caliper paint, put 2.25' leveling kit in front and a 1" block in the rear. its now level and rides WAY better (readylift)>way nicer than the revtek my buddy has i think its garbage imo<, hurst "T" shifter, 18 x 10 american racing (can't remember the name) chrome rims with badass 5 inch lip :), 12 inch rockford fosgate punch with rockford fosgate 600 watt amp, bushwacker fender flares (cheaper than replacing the one i wrecked lol) ,kc light bar with kc lights, toyota aluminum stamped skid plate, and a skull front license plate. More mods to come, thinking a 6 inch lift and arb bumper etc etc.
    <== i think my accelerator is just fine they just want me in there to tell me i need this and that which i know isn't true...

To Top